Who else bought a new mac.. and hates it?! Watch

AndrewFromTheNorth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Tefhel)
Yeah they should spend a little less money on all this "genius bar" crap, and actually spend it on fixing flaws with their products - their stuff certainly costs enough and then some (£60 for a dodgy charger?!). With any other brand it doesn't matter what the customer service is like because you never ever have to come into contact with them, because the products actually work without needing a replacement. I have no idea what Microsoft or Hewlett-Packard's (or in fact any other manufacturer of any other product, electrical or otherwise) customer service is like because I have never had any cause to contact them!

And yeah the MSN thing pissed me off too, I get why Microsoft wouldn't bother making MSN good for Apple, but why don't Apple make any alternatives and we have to use the lame aMSN?
Again, i agree! Would you like to be my friend? LOL. I can't think of any other products i've had to get fixed.

I heard iChat used to support MSN but then they removed it.

I think MSN is essentially one of the main victims of competition between Microsoft and Apple, in that Microsoft don't want to make the Apple version good because people'll be tempted to move and Apple don't want to make iChat compatible with it because it's a competitors product. But really, if they really did care about being great to their customers, they would just do it because it's what their customers want.
gummers
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by james99)
Nope, she means amsn.

Oooo snap! :cool:
GarethD
Report 9 years ago
I had an MBP for all of about two weeks before I returned it. The machine is lovely, the OS is nice to use, but the reason I returned it was because I just couldnt justify the amount it cost. Instead, I got a Dell Studio 15 which was a much higher spec than the MBP, a 24inch HD monitor (with HDMI for the X360) with change left over to go most of the way towards a Focusrite Audio Interface.
member159703
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rainbowbex)
I don't need help with it. it just annoys me that I can't use my webcam to talk to anyone because messenger for mac is so ****, and ichat hates anyone that isn't a mac.
http://rapidshare.com/files/24270031...eta_LEAKED.zip
Make sure you change the server to messenger.hotmail.com on login or it wont work.
Hope that helps, and yep it has webcam support. Well works for me anyways
GarethD
Report 9 years ago
Also, Adium + Growl is the way for IM on OS X.
bornfishy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by GarethD)
Also, Adium + Growl is the way for IM on OS X.
He's right. Though I like using iChat to video chat with my girlfriend, who also uses iChat.
Lucible
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've been using Macs for 13 years of my 18 year life so I can't say my new Mac bothers me much. I like it.
Cypher_Aod
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
having been using both PC's and macs since i was about 6 (first Mac OS used: OS SIX first MS OS used: Windows 95) i have to ask:

if macs are so ****ing perfect, why is it that i've been trying to find a way to practically transfer 17GB of data from a PC to a mac for over a month?

it just can't be done.

Macs: for people who don't do interesting things with their computers
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Cypher_Aod)
having been using both PC's and macs since i was about 6 (first Mac OS used: OS SIX first MS OS used: Windows 95) i have to ask:

if macs are so ****ing perfect, why is it that i've been trying to find a way to practically transfer 17GB of data from a PC to a mac for over a month?

it just can't be done.

Macs: for people who don't do interesting things with their computers
Tried this? http://guides.macrumors.com/Networki..._with_Mac_OS_X

Worked for me.
Cypher_Aod
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by thomasp)
Tried this? http://guides.macrumors.com/Networki..._with_Mac_OS_X

Worked for me.
yes, i did try that. no it didn't work.
dschna
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I formatted my external drive as FAT32 and simply copied 36gb of information from my PC to my Mac. It took like an hour from my PC but like 4 minutes over firewire 800 to the Mac
rainbowbex
Badges: 14
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Shortcut for sending stuff to the trash:

Cmd (the key just to the left & right of the spacebar) + Backspace

The "Command" (or "Apple" or "Cmd") key is Mac's equivalent of Windows' "Control" key.
Hey sorry, really random question but, how can i "print screen" on my mac

and is there any paint-esq software out there? I really miss using that

or anyway, I can edit photos with out it? I suppose I can crop with iPhoto....
Greg.
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

1) Click on the page that you want as a screen shot. Press the "Command," "Shift" and "3" keys at the same time, and release all three keys at the same time.

2) Use the mouse to click anywhere on the screen after releasing the three keys.

3) Click on the desktop. A new icon will appear, named "Picture 1." This is the screen shot image that was just taken.

or for a partial screenshot:

1) Click on the page that you want as a partial screen shot. Press the "Command," "Shift," and "4" keys simultaneously. Release all three keys at the same time.

2) Notice that the mouse cursor now changes to a "+." Drag the mouse over the portion of the page that you want to save as a screen shot.

3) Find the new file on your desktop that says "Picture 2." This is the screen shot. Click on it to open. Press "Command" and "P" to print the image.

I also saw this:

Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard
Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard
Hope that is ok. The Windows print screen key is a lot easier.
thomasp
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

See the above post for screenshots.

With regards to something paint-esque, you could try The Gimp: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gim...l.dmg?download

You can also crop photos with Preview if you haven't imported them into iPhoto yet.
recKz
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mr-Dangerous)
im going to be buying a new 24" imac in a couple of weeks,
i love the os
I'd wait a bit. There are numerous sources claiming a new iMac is already rolling off the line, and you really don't want to be kicking yourself.
DavidR1991
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Greg.)
1) Click on the page that you want as a screen shot. Press the "Command," "Shift" and "3" keys at the same time, and release all three keys at the same time.

2) Use the mouse to click anywhere on the screen after releasing the three keys.

3) Click on the desktop. A new icon will appear, named "Picture 1." This is the screen shot image that was just taken.

1) Click on the page that you want as a partial screen shot. Press the "Command," "Shift," and "4" keys simultaneously. Release all three keys at the same time.

2) Notice that the mouse cursor now changes to a "+." Drag the mouse over the portion of the page that you want to save as a screen shot.

3) Find the new file on your desktop that says "Picture 2." This is the screen shot. Click on it to open. Press "Command" and "P" to print the image.

I also saw this:

You can just do Cmd+Space and type grab (and run the program). Then do Capture->Screen.
rainbowbex
(Original post by Greg.)

I also saw this:

Thank you.. Works just like I wanted
rainbowbex
See the above post for screenshots.

With regards to something paint-esque, you could try The Gimp: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gim...l.dmg?download

You can also crop photos with Preview if you haven't imported them into iPhoto yet.
Thanks, I'll give that a try
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads