Turn on thread page Beta

Good Luck Tomorrow!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoPop)
    Just out of curiosity, are you using the Official Collegeboard book for the practice tests. If you're using Barrons (for maths) then I should warn you that their practice papers are way harder than the actual test. I took a Barrons practice test and got 610, then I took the Collegeboard practice test and got 800. Major difference - I don't get why Barron's make it so hard. I only finished 40 of the 50 questions in their practice paper.
    Princeton Review (& sparknotes for M2)

ReputationRep:
    Methinks I will be retaking in December. Well, definitely Physics anyway, which sucks, because I wanted to retake the SAT reasoning (680,700,720- M/R/W).

I'm just out of practice time really. I took about a month to prepare for each, which was difficult enough to fit around work. But when that's cut down to two weeks due to a postal strike/ amazon just being slow, I have no chance if two of my subjects are ones I haven't taken before. (I haven't even had time to do practice tests )

That being said, I took a Chemistry mock just after I finished A2s and got 780 :ahee:

mm, good luck tomorrow everyone

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, are you using the Official Collegeboard book for the practice tests. If you're using Barrons (for maths) then I should warn you that their practice papers are way harder than the actual test. I took a Barrons practice test and got 610, then I took the Collegeboard practice test and got 800. Major difference - I don't get why Barron's make it so hard. I only finished 40 of the 50 questions in their practice paper.
    It isn't neccesarily a bad thing to have harder questions. Better prep for the easy ones and it doesn't elude you incase something bad turns up in the paper.

On another note - off to London.
    Good luck all :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Finished...

Physics was ok. Maths was harder than the practice tests I've done. As for French..... no comment.

ReputationRep:
    I found the Maths 2 easier than the ones I did on Sparknotes, so hopefully I'll break 700. I left out 8/50, but I felt pretty fkn confident on all but a few of the others, so we'll see. The literature, I have no idea tbh, but I think I may have bombed it

I went through mad drama at the start. I couldn't get my hands on a CD player yesterday, so I was just gonna change to the normal French test, or just do 2, but it turns out if you decide not to do the Listening, you forfeit your seat. Long story short, I ended up 7th/8 on a waiting list for the subject test, and there were 7 vacancies. Lucky me! :yep:

Now I'm just gonna have to be a walk-on next month for the French (and probably Literature lol) and hope I get lucky again.

ReputationRep:
    I left out 3 questions (two of which turned out to be so ******* easy :mad:) and guessed the last question in MathII. I thought it was harder than I expected and only slightly easier than the Barron's practice tests.

ReputationRep:
    All the pure questions were pretty sweet. The stats ones though........

ReputationRep:
    How many did you leave out?

ReputationRep:
    Just one. But not because I ran out of time; because i didn't want to :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sounds pretty good. You reckon you got the rest right?

ReputationRep:
    How the hell do I prepare effectively for the CR in SAT I. It's killing me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doughboy)
    How the hell do I prepare effectively for the CR in SAT I. It's killing me!
    Just do loads of practice tests. I started off with 49 in my PSAT CR section. Basically I kept doing more and more CR sections from the blue CollegeBoard book and tried to understand not only why the answers I got right were correct, but also why the incorrect answers were incorrect. That's a large part of the SAT - being able to justify incorrect answers. Sometimes you'll be left with two options, and the best way of tacking that is to try and figure out which one is wrong, not necessarily which one is right. Sometimes it's a lot easier to figure out that way. For example, a lot of possible answers will include extreme words such as "most" or "all" or "none". These are generally wrong. For example, you might get a question like:

In lines 11-12 the author believes that...

And one of the options is: "most people are stupid".

What generally catches people out here is that the author mentions that "people are stupid", and that leads them to put in this answer. But he probably never mentioned "most people" being stupid. That's where you'll find it easy to justify why this answer is wrong...

That's one of the things that helped me a lot because I always found myself strung between two possible answers. I'm no pro at CR, but I can sympathize with you with this issue. So far I've improved to 720 in CR, but hopefully I can do better in December...

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Just do loads of practice tests. I started off with 49 in my PSAT CR section. Basically I kept doing more and more CR sections from the blue CollegeBoard book and tried to understand not only why the answers I got right were correct, but also why the incorrect answers were incorrect. That's a large part of the SAT - being able to justify incorrect answers. Sometimes you'll be left with two options, and the best way of tacking that is to try and figure out which one is wrong, not necessarily which one is right. Sometimes it's a lot easier to figure out that way. For example, a lot of possible answers will include extreme words such as "most" or "all" or "none". These are generally wrong. For example, you might get a question like:

In lines 11-12 the author believes that...

And one of the options is: "most people are stupid".

What generally catches people out here is that the author mentions that "people are stupid", and that leads them to put in this answer. But he probably never mentioned "most people" being stupid. That's where you'll find it easy to justify why this answer is wrong...

That's one of the things that helped me a lot because I always found myself strung between two possible answers. I'm no pro at CR, but I can sympathize with you with this issue. So far I've improved to 720 in CR, but hopefully I can do better in December...

Good luck!
    Thanks a lot! I'm taking in December too :o:

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I've been reading this sub forum for a while and its been really helpful! Thought I might as well join in too...
    I got 2020 on SAT I. Retaking it in Dec.
    SAT II results in Math II, Physics and Chem next week. Ahhhhh
    Im applying to Harvard, Yale, MIT and maybe Princeton.
    Really longshot but whatever. I've got offers from Ucas so it doesn't really matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sufcmax)
    I got 2020 on SAT I. Retaking it in Dec.
    SAT II results in Math II, Physics and Chem next week. Ahhhhh
    Pretty epic results :yes: Good luck
    And yeah...results next week

ReputationRep:
    Thanks dude!
    I would really like to break 2100 though for the places I'm applying to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sufcmax)
    Thanks dude!
    I would really like to break 2100 though for the places I'm applying to.
    I think you'd probably need 2200+ or ideally 2300+

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you're probably right. The chances are really slim whatever.
    MIT is a bit different about what they look for and I have a legacy there (if it matters). So I think its my best chance.

ReputationRep:
    What did you all use to study for the CR Section of SAT 1? Anyone with the Direct Hits series?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, i used a Barrons perfect 2400 book.

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.