Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but that's because I'm multilingual and actually speak the languages.

I find it annoying when some people use Spanish expressions when they've never studied the language and have only been to Spain for a drinking holiday after college graduation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Nah, I'm generally not that pretentious. :angelblush:
    I think it's something bilingual or multilingual people tend to do. It's not really on purpose either, it's just other languages tend to have words which are much more appropriate than English. I usually do it accidentally or when there's no proper English substitute.

If you're English and English is your mother tongue but you have knowledge of other languages from school, lessons etc. it's downright pretentious and there's no need. It really irks me when people who've done A level French just start "casually" putting French words into their sentences as if that's the first word they thought of. Your family's not French, you don't speak it at home, you weren't brought up in France and you're not in France so GTFO.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ja. I use some phrases a lot that dont have an easy english version and the odd word without thinking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Yeah, I'm always going 'yalla' to people, it's the best word in the World (short and sweet, means: hurry up, come on, quickly...)

And I call loads of people Habibi.
    this is so true, another of mine is mshek?? (right?) :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ja.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, I'm known to spout random German without even thinking about it, and I'll often end up talking in Japlish with classmates, especially if I've momentarily forgotten the English word for something (happens when you live abroad for a year and are constantly immersed in that country's language) or a Japanese word describes what I want to say better. I don't think it's pretentious, it just feels natural... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    My family get a bit sick when I start rambling in German.

ReputationRep:
    for a while before my french GCSE I thought in French.

But now it's just the odd French sentence that comes out by accident, my friends all understand me though.

ReputationRep:
    i talk in an english-russian pidgin with some of my friends i take russian lessons with. it's like Clockwork Orange.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, with Latin

ReputationRep:
    Yep; "ein bisschen", "geld", "Abendessen" etc. are the usual culprits

ReputationRep:
    Yeah bits of Welsh all the time.

Can I have a diod?
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes some Latin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    I knew someone who'd do that, I always thought it was pretty rude.
    It's usually when we're drunk, therefore don't care how rude it is :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah but only when im talking to an indian person. Sometimes i add in phrases of either hindi or bengali (depends who im talking to) without even realising.
    But i would never use words or phrases of a language i don't even speak but just know a few words of just to seem 'cool' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Je speak Franglais. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Despite studying French and German to a decent level, I usually only use "craic" and "a chara" (very occasionally) when I'm talking.

ReputationRep:
    I use sooo much French when talking in English and vice versa and I'm not even French. I use it sooo much that I joined the 'Moi? I Do Not Randomely Use Le Francais Quand Je Speak' group on Facebook... happy days!

ReputationRep:
    lol my colleague threw a few random french words together the other day, the whole 'comment ca va?', I answered in french (quite detailed :proud: ). He sighed and said 'oh... :sad: I'll have to learn some more french now'

I only use words which I know everyone else means, otherwise it's just silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Yeah, I'm always going 'yalla' to people, it's the best word in the World (short and sweet, means: hurry up, come on, quickly...)

And I call loads of people Habibi.
    I always say this without realizing i blame my gran. :rolleyes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.