Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    The operative word being, of course, "caught".
    All the person who is being bullied needs to do is tell a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    I plan to use it to get the actual job in the first place...I don't expect to be still looking for work at the age of 40...
    Lol what, you think the fact you went to a private school will get you a job quicker over others who have the same degree from the same uni but went to a state one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    Just because you go to a private school doesn't guarantee you a better headstart to life at a job/uni.

If anything it may disadvantage you compared to a candidate of the same ability if they came from a state, due to the fact that employers/unis might be wary of taking in excess public school students - and get blamed for discrimination.
    Lol, I really don't think there's much danger of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xerophelistica)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Lol, I really don't think there's much danger of that.
    Just as there's little danger for being looked down upon just because you didn't attend a private school.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

I'd suggest that anyone who seriously wants to learn and achieve good grades could easily do so at even the worst of state schools. Only now that I am in second year at university do I realise just how little I knew back then in secondary school, and how little the subjects contained. The local library would have contained many hundreds of books which easily cover everything that a GCSE, Standard Grade, A level, Higher, whatever could ever ask.

And from my experience of someone who attended a secondary school which did not have the best reputation in the area (and I suspect if there was transport available many peoples' parents would have sent them to the other secondary schools) teachers have been more than happy to help struggling students during dinner time or free periods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    Just as there's little danger for being looked down upon just because you didn't attend a private school.
    What the **** does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Okay, this is a continuation of that other thread:

People who go to private schools; aren't you embarrassed to not be getting AAAA?

If my parents were paying £15,000 a year, they'd expect decent grades tbh. How thick do you have to be to fail when you've got so much thrown at you?

I mean honestly, I can't believe how much money it costs (according to you guys anyway).
    i'm detecting hints of either jealousy or bitterness here :p: not getting a jillion A*****s doesn't make you a failure at all!

i have no idea how private schools work, state schools til i die

ReputationRep:
    I think it all comes down to the way in which u approach work: if u hav a good attitude and want 2 do well, u r likely to suceed whatever ur background is. There's always going to be a mix of those ppl amd those who aren't as driven in any schul

ReputationRep:
    i agree that going to private school i was inclined to work harder because my parents had worked harder/ put the effort in to send me there...

i still didn't get four A's though, private school generally just helps you maximise your potential not give you 4 A's. i can't say i enjoyed it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mali Singh)
    I think it all comes down to the way in which u approach work: if u hav a good attitude and want 2 do well, u r likely to suceed whatever ur background is. There's always going to be a mix of those ppl amd those who aren't as driven in any schul
    Seconded.

ReputationRep:
    When I have kids, i'll send them private if the local state schools are crap like mine was. My school was ******* awful, and the two local colleges are complete ****. I have to travel an hour a day to get to a semi-decent college, whereas there's a rather good private school 10 minutes down the road.. i know my parents can't afford it, so there's no way I'd complain, but yeah would be much easier to go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bexxxx)
    Your parents paid for you to go to a private school, because you were bullied at your last school? Am I to assume that bullying is non-existent at private schools? Serious q.
    No, as I said in one of my previous posts:

I didn't choose private school because I thought that all state schools would be the same hell, I chose private school purely because of their ethos to individuals and bullying, and their encouragement for people to grow as themselves
    I didn't explain that hugely well, I meant I chose the specific private school I went to because of their ethos. If a school had had the same ethos and been state then I would have gone there. I was lucky enough for my parents to be able to afford the fees (with help from grandparents) as the school happened to be a private school. Of course bullying can happen at any school, and my decision to go to the school I went to was based on their attitude to it, how they dealt with it and their success rate. We looked at a variety of different schools, state and private, and the one that happened to seem the best for my situation was private.

:mad: We did. We spent two years talking to various different teachers, heads of year, the headmistress...and nothing ever came of it. They all appeared sympathetic and said they'd see what they could do but nothing happened. It wasn't physical bullying which may have made it harder to deal with but after three years, I'd had enough.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are being incredibly unfair.

My sister for example has learning difficulties, so we put in her a private school to help boost her grades, even though she won't get AAA, we want the best opportunity for her.

Besides, private school is just about providing the best opportunities for pupils, which does not necessarily mean AAA. By providing people with all the available resources, it means they are not limited by, for example, a lack of equipment, and they are encouraged to acheive their full potentially, whether it is AAA, BBB or AAAAAA. oh and the gay jokes are not cool - if you want to get a gf/bf go to a single-sex school... they tend to be the most up for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deleted)
    :mad: We did. We spent two years talking to various different teachers, heads of year, the headmistress...and nothing ever came of it. They all appeared sympathetic and said they'd see what they could do but nothing happened. It wasn't physical bullying which may have made it harder to deal with but after three years, I'd had enough.
    Wait, I'm arguing in favour of private schools - are you saying that the teachers didn't do anything about bullying in your private school, or your state school? If it's the latter, then I'm actually agreeing with you.

If it's the former, then I don't know WHAT kind of private school you went to, but it's definitely not like any one I've heard of or visited or been to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deleted)
    No, as I said in one of my previous posts . I didn't explain that hugely well, I meant I chose the specific private school I went to because of their ethos. If that same school had had the same ethos and been state then I would have gone there. I was lucky enough for my parents to be able to afford the fees (with help from grandparents) as it happened to be a private school.
    Of course bullying can happen at any school, and my decision to go to the school I went to was based on their attitude to it, how they dealt with it and their success rate.

I don't know why you're mad, the guy you quoted was talking about private schools in particular, which are apparently oases of pleasantness and amiability, as compared to state schools, which are all godless holes full of vicious, feral wolf-children who are left to roam the corridors eating children with abandon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobo1234)
    I can't stop... Really. There are tears running down my face, I almost fell off my chair I burst out... so hard.
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by original_special)
    I think you are being incredibly unfair.

My sister for example has learning difficulties, so we put in her a private school to help boost her grades, even though she won't get AAA, we want the best opportunity for her.

Besides, private school is just about providing the best opportunities for pupils, which does not necessarily mean AAA. By providing people with all the available resources, it means they are not limited by, for example, a lack of equipment, and they are encouraged to acheive their full potentially, whether it is AAA, BBB or AAAAAA. oh and the gay jokes are not cool - if you want to get a gf/bf go to a single-sex school... they tend to be the most up for it
    Welcome to TSR original_special.
    I agree with this to an extent, but the system should not be like this, and a child from a public school should have the oppertunity to get the same grades as someone from a more beneficial background (also, good luck 4 ur sis!!)

ReputationRep:
    Wait, I'm arguing in favour of private schools - are you saying that the teachers didn't do anything about bullying in your private school, or your state school? If it's the latter, then I'm actually agreeing with you.

If it's the former, then I don't know WHAT kind of private school you went to, but it's definitely not like any one I've heard of or visited or been to.
    1 Minute Ago 13:15 (littleshambles)
    Originally Posted by deleted
    No, as I said in one of my previous posts . I didn't explain that hugely well, I meant I chose the specific private school I went to because of their ethos. If that same school had had the same ethos and been state then I would have gone there. I was lucky enough for my parents to be able to afford the fees (with help from grandparents) as it happened to be a private school.
    Of course bullying can happen at any school, and my decision to go to the school I went to was based on their attitude to it, how they dealt with it and their success rate.

We did. We spent two years talking to various different teachers, heads of year, the headmistress...and nothing ever came of it. They all appeared sympathetic and said they'd see what they could do but nothing happened. It wasn't physical bullying which may have made it harder to deal with but after three years, I'd had enough.

I don't know why you're mad, the guy you quoted was talking about private schools in particular, which are apparently oases of pleasantness and amiability, as compared to state schools, which are all godless holes full of vicious, feral wolf-children who are left to roam the corridors eating children with abandon.

I apologise, I misunderstood what you wrote. It was the state school that did nothing about the bullying, not the private.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha you're practically oozing jealousy!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2011
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.