Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    urgh what a stupid thing to do :facepalm: and how sad it is for it to have happened. Why would you just fire without checking it is an intruder :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgirl)
    I don't get why you'd shoot somebody even if they were an intruder, surely you'd wait until you needed to physically defend yourself. Not just shoot before you know a)who it is, b) why they are there and c) if they are going to hurt you.

Guns just complicate things. I mean in the US cops can shoot criminals, but what good does killing them do? Surely shocking/tasering them would be better? Because if the criminal is dead then they can't give you any answers at all.

Anyway yeah, a sad case that should never have occurred. There's no doubt that the guy is feeling extremely guilty about things (assuming that it was an accident).

Working under the assumption that the strange person in your house in the middle of the night is probably up to no good, you'd be silly not to act first. Sure he could be there to rob you, but he could be there to harm you and your family. It's arguably preferable to kill someone who was only stealing, than to be killed by someone who was really there to hurt you (but you assumed was only stealing).

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Why get married at 62?

ReputationRep:
    Lo..sorry, but thats so funny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    It's America. Everyone has guns in their houses
    Well that's a load of crap. Only one person in our entire neighbourhood had a gun when I was living in Illinois. That's like saying all brits carry knives around
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How dreadfully sad. How wretched must he feel?

Guns are horrible.

I wonder if anyone remembers the UK man who was imprisoned after shooting a burglar in 1999http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

ReputationRep:
    That is tragic. I feel so sorry for that man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost_writer)
    How dreadfully sad. How wretched must he feel?

Guns are horrible.

I wonder if anyone remembers the UK man who was imprisoned after shooting a burglar in 1999http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)
    Oh yeah, Tony Martin, I wonder if anybody remembers him. He was only front page news for about a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    So what? You don't think those numbers aren't big enough? I mean compared to everywhere else..
    Uhh... 'so what'? You were wrong. You started off saying that all Americans own guns. Then you downgraded to the 'majority'. Now, what's your point? That a minority of Americans own guns? Uh yeah, so you were wrong. Well done.

ReputationRep:
    The main problem with this kind of thing is that it is going to be really quite difficult to prove that he didn't kill his partner intentionally.

I can understand the people defending him a little bit, but I think on the balance of probabilities, when you hear someone moving about your house at night, and you know there is one other person in your house, and you know that that person is not in the same room as you, you should really consider that it is most likely that person rather than an intruder who you hear wandering about, and hence you really shouldn't shoot them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pina.Love)
    Don't generalise like that it isn't true.
    It's not far from it in the south...

But things like this aren't particularly prevalent. I am originally from a very gun-lax state and I don't know anyone that's been shot, or even had an issue with a gun, with the exception of someone being robbed at gunpoint...which isn't any scarier to me than being robbed here at knifepoint.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, "accident".

(Original post by Dream Weaver)
    yeah... thats the point...
    :rolleyes: I know, duh.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Oh yeah, Tony Martin, I wonder if anybody remembers him. He was only front page news for about a year.
    Fair point! But it's astonishing what tragedies end up forgotten even after months on the front pages.

ReputationRep:
    they really took liberties to get round that "til death do us part" clause, then?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.