Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatsinaname)
    Erm, no, you're very wrong actually.

People have got offers for medicine without meeting the GCSE requirements. In fact, the e-mail I got from Southampton last week stated, 'we can make a concession for GCSE results if the application is strong in all other areas'.
    TBH I don't have any GCSE's (personal circumstances) and all my unis said that was fine provided I have the subjects at the right level at IB and good grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatsinaname)
    How strict are they on their GCSE requirements?
    The GCSE requirements are part of their primary screening:
    (Original post by Primary Screening)
    When we receive your UCAS application it will firstly undergo an ‘academic screening'. This means we will check to make sure that you have the academic qualifications (or are predicted the academic qualifications) that we require for consideration.
    So, if you don't pass the primary academic screening, then your PS and reference won't even be looked at.
    However, looking at how they word the GCSE requirement:
    (Original post by UEA)
    GCSE's - we normally look for six GCSE's at grade A, to include Science, Mathematics and English.
    Suggests that there may be a little lea way on grades but there's no way to be sure whether the GCSE requirement is absolute or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    The GCSE requirements are part of their primary screening:

So, if you don't pass the primary academic screening, then your PS and reference won't even be looked at.
    However, looking at how they word the GCSE requirement:

Suggests that there may be a little lea way on grades but there's no way to be sure whether the GCSE requirement is absolute or not.
    Hellloooo Hygiea...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How are all the lovely UEA applicants today? I don't think I've posted here since the closing date. And now it's past the 15th... All we can do is wait

ReputationRep:
    Very, very long wait in the case of UEA...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    Hellloooo Hygiea...
    :hat2: Hi Baki... still can't spell my name right :p:

Where are you applying this year? (Can't remember if you've posted it anywhere!)

ReputationRep:
    :hat2: Hi Baki... still can't spell my name right :p:

Where are you applying this year? (Can't remember if you've posted it anywhere!)
    SOTON & UEA.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    SOTON & UEA.

good choice

ReputationRep:
    good choice
    Thank you for your completely unbiased opinion.

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baki)
    Thank you for your completely unbiased opinion.

I can be unbiased when I need to be but in a UEA thread... I'm happy to admit to my bias! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can be unbiased when I need to be but in a UEA thread... I'm happy to admit to my bias! :p:
    Atleast you're honest about your bias.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Last time I applied I got an interview (and screwed it up), so I'm hoping it will be the same again! (Well obviously not the screwing up part :eek3:)

If any of you have any questions about UEA let me know
    *clears throat*:grin:

How often do they test the fire alarms and at what time? Do they make you go out in the snow? (Ours did *scowl*) Do you get fined if they are set off?
    How often do you get communal block charges and roughly how much?
    When do they put the heating on?
    How thin are the walls in halls?
    How long is the tenancy for? Does it cover the holidays?
    How do you connect to the internet and do you have to pay for it?
    Is there a download limit?
    Is there wireless and if so where?
    How do you get lecture slides? What programme is used?
    How is work handed in/back?
    What time can lectures start/finish?
    Where can motorbikes be parked?
    How big is the library (books and area)? Is there space for quiet study & group study? When is it open?
    What percentage of people living on halls stay on campus over the w/e?
    Where are the laundrettes? How much?
    Are there any social spaces/common rooms/alcohol free zones?
    Are there recycling bins?
    How many bands come to play at the SU?
    What capacity is the SU?
    How often do buses run to the city centre? How much?
    Do you have a random bit at the end where exams are finished but you are still paying for accommodation? If so what do you do?
    Where are graduations held? What dates?
    What is the uni motto and how did it come about?
    How was the uni founded and what events in it's history have shaped it?
    What is something unique about your uni? (for example, I go to the only uni associated with a village and not a town or city )
    How is the university coping in the recession? What have they cut back on? e.g journal subscriptions?
    Cheery question - how many suicides have there been and why? What structures do the uni have in place to try and prevent this?
    What do you most resent about your uni?
    How well lit is your campus? If you don't feel safe enough walking back to your halls, what can you do?
    What proportion of the uni population is international?
    How well do (academic and administrative) staff and the locals mix with the students?
    How far away is the hospital and how do you get to it?
    How much are taxis from the city centre?
    What takeaways are best?
    Do the CU do tea and toast?
    Are you allowed mini fridges/kettles in rooms? (Not that there are any such 'illegal' implements in mine )
    Where do people who live off campus go? How do they get in?
    Where are the nearest supermarkets? Is it cheaper to get it delivered?

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lantana)
    How often do they test the fire alarms and at what time? Do they make you go out in the snow? (Ours did *scowl*) Do you get fined if they are set off?
    I can only really remember a couple of fire alarm drills where we had to go outside (the first one being the first time I could have a lie in at the start of the term...). They did test the alarm every week but you didn't have to go outside for these ones.

How often do you get communal block charges and roughly how much?
    We didn't - lots of threats based on a messy kitchen but the only time we were actually fined anything was when someone broke the ceiling tile (not someone from our flat so in the end they confessed and paid for it).

When do they put the heating on?
    Hmm, can't really remember that one! I do seem to remember being reasonably warm though if that helps :dontknow:

How thin are the walls in halls?
    I can only base this on my experience of living in the village, but the walls were incredibly thin so I ended up buying earplugs the first weekend I was in Norwich and used them for the whole year (sometime with more success than other times!)

How long is the tenancy for? Does it cover the holidays?
    The tenancy is for 38 weeks which covers Christmas and Easter holidays (so you don't need to remove all of your stuff) but not summer though you can get accommodation for over the summer as well.

How do you connect to the internet and do you have to pay for it?
    In halls, you need to use an ethernet cable to connect to the internet, the cost is included in the price of the accommodation.

Is there a download limit?
    Not that I know of but this could have changed.

Is there wireless and if so where?
    Yep, there is wireless on campus - in all the main buildings though I've managed to connect using it while sat in the car park before.

How do you get lecture slides? What programme is used?
    Most lectures and seminar slides are put on blackboard in the UEA portal.

How is work handed in/back?
    Assessment is usually submitted both as a hard copy and electronically. We're given feedback within a month, either via a e-mail or hard copy in our pigeon holes.

What time can lectures start/finish?
    The earliest have been 8.45 and usually you're finished by 5 though there have occasionally been evening lectures (non compulsory) and there is a possibility that with some adjustments to timetabling, lectures may finish at 6 in the future.

Where can motorbikes be parked?
    There are marked motorcycle areas in the car parks where they can park free of charge, though I seem to remember you'd need a permit.

How big is the library (books and area)? Is there space for quiet study & group study? When is it open?
    https://www.uea.ac.uk/is/lib There is space for quiet study and group study as well as some carrells you can borrow for more private studying, it's a reasonable size (covering quite a few floors). Not sure about opening hours apart from that there is a 24hr computer suite and they've recently extended the opening hours for the main library. There's also a 24hr computer suite in the med building and we have access to the libraries at the hospital as well.

What percentage of people living on halls stay on campus over the w/e?
    Most I think. You have people going home for the odd weekend but most stay.

Where are the laundrettes? How much?
    There are laundrettes reasonably close to each main block of housing - so one for the village, one for the standard accommodation, one for the campus en-suite. I can't remember exactly what they cost but remember them not being particularly cheap - maybe a couple of pounds for a single washer? Then I think 50p per half hour for a drier? (Not certain on these figures though as I haven't used them since first year). They do get very busy though.

Are there any social spaces/common rooms/alcohol free zones?
    The medics have a social space in the med building. Not sure about the others though.

Are there recycling bins?
    Yep. It's each individuals responsibility to take the recycling to where it needs to go.

How many bands come to play at the SU?
    Best place to look: http://www.ueastudent.com/

What capacity is the SU?
    Not sure.

How often do buses run to the city centre? How much?
    Buses are every 6 minutes. A day rider ticket is £4.70, I think a single to the city would be about £2 with a two trip ticket at maybe £3.50? I can't find the exact numbers and they do change pretty frequently but it's not cheap!
    It's currently £180 for a bus pass but this keeps going up (it was £128 in my first year, and the service has gone down hill if anything!)

Do you have a random bit at the end where exams are finished but you are still paying for accommodation? If so what do you do?
    Our contract for accommodation seemed to end at the end of exam week rather than carrying on.

Where are graduations held? What dates?
    Graduation at the moment is in congregation hall though there is a lot of pressure for them to change it to the cathedral instead. Don't know about when though.

What is the uni motto and how did it come about?
    I believe it's 'do different' which reflects the uni's ideas about teaching in particular.

How was the uni founded and what events in it's history have shaped it?
    This is the extent of my knowledge on this... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...Anglia#History

What is something unique about your uni? (for example, I go to the only uni associated with a village and not a town or city )

How is the university coping in the recession? What have they cut back on? e.g journal subscriptions?
    I haven't noticed anything in particular they've done tbh.

Cheery question - how many suicides have there been and why? What structures do the uni have in place to try and prevent this?
    There are none that I know of, the uni does have counselling services in place and the med school in particular has personal advisors and a mentoring system for added support.

What do you most resent about your uni?
    How far it is from my home town :p:

How well lit is your campus? If you don't feel safe enough walking back to your halls, what can you do?
    It's become a lot more well lit since a few problems occurred back in 2004 (I think it was) with all the main paths now properly lit and the security staff are willing to walk you home if you don't feel safe. Usually people are in reasonably large groups so it's not a problem.

What proportion of the uni population is international?
    Not sure about the proportion but there are a certain number of international spaces in med (maybe up to 10 per year? though not sure of that figure) and generally on the university there is a good mix, as well as there being INTO

How well do (academic and administrative) staff and the locals mix with the students?
    When there are gigs and things on at the uni, a lot of the locals join in, the med staff come along to a lot of the med events/balls - wouldn't know about the staff in other areas.

How far away is the hospital and how do you get to it?
    The main hospital is just down the road from the uni. I drive there due to my disability but most people walk/cycle as it only takes 10-20 minutes from the university. There is also a bus that goes every 20 minutes or so from the uni to the hospital. The other hospitals are further out with bus transport provided from the uni.

How much are taxis from the city centre?
    In first year, I seem to remember there was a particular taxi company that provided discounted rates for travelling from the city to the uni (maybe £5?) though this may have changed and will vary depending on which company.

What takeaways are best?
    I can't really comment on this one as I don't ever have takeaways.

Do the CU do tea and toast?
    Not sure.

Are you allowed mini fridges/kettles in rooms? (Not that there are any such 'illegal' implements in mine )
    Nope, not allowed unless you have specific health problems and have been granted permission. I'm sure some people had them 'illegally' though this is risky due to the cleaners taking the bins away every day and random inspections.

Where do people who live off campus go? How do they get in?
    Lots of students live in the golden triangle area (between uni and the city), with quite a few med students living in Three Score (between uni and the hospital). There are some of us who live North of the city due to how much cheaper it is. Most either walk/cycle/bus in depending on how far they need to go.

Where are the nearest supermarkets? Is it cheaper to get it delivered?
    By the uni there is a tesco express and a little co-op, then further towards the city is a Somerfield. In the city itself, there is a big Sainsburys and a Tesco metro with Asda, big Sainsbury's, big Tesco Extras and a Morrisons a bit further out - mostly accessible by bus. Some people found it cheaper to get it delivered by joining up with several others and doing a big order then splitting the cost among themselves.

Hope that helps I'm happy to answer any other questions you come up with.

ReputationRep:
    Hope that helps I'm happy to answer any other questions you come up with.
    Wow! Thanks a lot!

Can you answer a few from me, please? ...

How many PBL groups are there in a given year?
    On average, how many medics in each group?
    How many authoritative figures are there in a group (tutors, etc)?

Thanks again! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toby_ling)
    Wow! Thanks a lot!

Can you answer a few from me, please? ...

How many PBL groups are there in a given year?
    This varies depending on the number of students in the year for example, in my first year we had PBL groups A-Q, but last year there were only A-P due to students having left/needing to resit.

On average, how many medics in each group?
    8-10 students - I've been in one group of 8, one of 9 and two of 10.

How many authoritative figures are there in a group (tutors, etc)?
    One facilitator per group.

Thanks again!
    :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Just so you all know, I've heard that the first interviews for UEA will be the first week in December.

ReputationRep:
    Just so you all know, I've heard that the first interviews for UEA will be the first week in December.
    Thank you!

Is that just the period you're talking about, or have interview offers actually already been sent off to applicants?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toby_ling)
    Thank you!

Is that just the period you're talking about, or have interview offers actually already been sent off to applicants?
    I don't think interview offers have been sent yet, but I do know the first date of interviews.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :zomg: crikey, they said we wouldn't hear from them until mid-December! When does that mean they'll start handing out invites..? The ball's finally started rolling! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by felt_monkey)
    crikey, they said we wouldn't hear from them until mid-December! When does that mean they'll start handing out invites..? The ball's finally started rolling!
    I think I got about a weeks notice (whether this will be the case this year or not I don't know)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 27, 2013

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.