Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    she wouldnt have known of the consequences, you unsensitive morons

ReputationRep:
    My art teacher let me use oil paints for my work, and then she realised she shouldnt have let me, not only because they ruin expensive brushes that the school has to pay for, but because when you try to wash oil paints off your hands, it doesnt come off and stains the entirety of your hands so you look like a cartoon character and have to walk to the DT department, all the while trying to hide your entirely green hands, and ask for a certain type of chemical to wash it off. The chemical smell being so potent that you cant eat for the rest of the day.

But I didnt lose my hands or anything, so teacher = forgiven.

ReputationRep:
    Those pictures are disgusting. I feel sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevie0444)
    she wouldnt have known of the consequences, you unsensitive morons
    Generally if teacher tells you a way to do something and you don't know better, don't cut corners.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU1j2AgN_fc

3:51.

ReputationRep:
    I can never imagine losing all of my fingers. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    To all the people saying it's her fault for not following instructions.... who here has never disobeyed a teacher? :rolleyes:

Amazingly, people aren't born knowing that plaster of Paris is a hazardous material. Just saying 'put your hand in the clay and then pour the plaster in the clay mold' does not convey that there is any danger in putting your hand in the plaster, just that it is not the correct way to do it. Unless the teacher explicitly explained the danger involved, the school is completely at fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meagz)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU1j2AgN_fc

3:51.
    LMAO! Oh my! Scrubs never fails!

But seriously, terrible accident, but she should have done what the teacher asked!

Didn't know plaster of paris did that tho

ReputationRep:
    couldnt they sand the plaster off?
    seriously chop them off? what are we living in the 1700s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1721)
    couldnt they sand the plaster off?
    seriously chop them off? what are we living in the 1700s?
    Her fingers were severely burned.

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea that it heated up like that, to be honest. I can't say I'd have thought doing that was a good idea, but obviously (dur) she didn't realise the consequences. Very sad but at least it sounds like she is doing okay now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    sort of her own fault, and a mixture of retarded teachers who didn't think to put the plaster covered hands in water, cools it down
    surely it cools it for the short term then makes it worse? I mean that's the problem, it's reaction with water is exothermic and so as it was changing state to a solid the reaction was exothermic. Or at least I thought that was what the heat thing was about.

I'd say more her fault but not totally. She was probably trying to take a shortcut by skipping the clay stage and going straight to plaster. However if the art teacher had warned them about the dangers of getting it on you then she wouldn't have done it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MO-M-G)
    My art teacher let me use oil paints for my work, and then she realised she shouldnt have let me, not only because they ruin expensive brushes that the school has to pay for, but because when you try to wash oil paints off your hands, it doesnt come off and stains the entirety of your hands so you look like a cartoon character and have to walk to the DT department, all the while trying to hide your entirely green hands, and ask for a certain type of chemical to wash it off. The chemical smell being so potent that you cant eat for the rest of the day.

But I didnt lose my hands or anything, so teacher = forgiven.
    You're just inept. That was your problem.

ReputationRep:
    schools..... why does it happen all the time....... parents should start coming to school with their kids....

ReputationRep:
    Do you think she will make a claym?

ReputationRep:
    The national accident helpline can help her.
    I can imagine the advert:

"I was making a mould with my hands like i normally would on a normal schoolday when dey got stuck. i lost 8 fingers cos i was hungry and the national accident helpline let me receive £10.23 compensation."

ReputationRep:
    Woot, pain. I blame the school, SAFETY measures should be taken with things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    Woot, pain. I blame the school, SAFETY measures should be taken with things like that.
    there's always the majority who's quick to blame the organisation and not the individual's stupid actions.

ReputationRep:
    imagine if she'd had eaten some..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thegoonman)
    there's always the majority who's quick to blame the organisation and not the individual's stupid actions.
    What the girl did was stupid, but the school should have specifically told them not to do that kind of thing and about the consequences of doing it.

I used plaster before and I've never stuck my hands in it but there was nothing stopping me from doing it at school.... There's always that stupid/careless one who needs a clear warning.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.