Only £12 a week to live off. Watch

psychocustard
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by viirkokka)
Oh yeah, living off 12.50 a week on food relies on you being able to cook the food yourself - always buy economy and avoid ready meals - they are so bad for you and also expensive. I'm living on £15 a week, I have a pretty good diet of pasta + pesto, peas, spinach, eggs, bread, wafer thin ham, cereal, some tinned veg sometimes, lettuce. I cook myself one "big" meal a week if my budget stretches to it, like a bolognase or lasagne or all the flatmates put a quid or two in and we have a roast. Also, get yourself a fruit bowl in your room - a bunch of bananas or pack of peaches are only a quid! Also, no one else can eat those. Don't buy any crappy snack foods like crisps or chocolate except maybe a treat.
Beat you to it I cook every night, and I seem to be the only one in my flat who realises what a vegetable is :rolleyes: I've done the spag bol thing on a smaller scale, as in making enough for just two nights rather than a week, but that'll start soon, I imagine.
Atm I'm living off pasta, Quorn - I'm one of those cursed veggies - lots of vegetables, bread, cereal, potatoes, and then I've actually got the fruit bowl in my room already I do have a serious sweet tooth though, so I tend to buy one of those lumps of cake in Tesco for £1, and that will last me a week or so, and occasionally some ice cream, but only ever the cheapy stuff, unless the good stuff is on a seriously good offer. I should probably start baking again, thinking about it
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Swindle your university hardship fund for all it is worth.
psychocustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yusef Badi)
So where did all the money go? Surely it must have been enough if the rest of the entire student population seems to manage. Sorry if I seem rude but I am quite taken aback.
You get different amounts each term. It's not as if I've just blown £3k in one go. Most of the money's gone on my rent, which leaves me about £120 spare, although I did buy a few things at the start of term - about £100? - on stuff I needed for my room, joining two societies, and actually doing things in freshers', as well as buying some train tickets, as my mum's in Australia at the moment with family, and can't pay for them herself atm, although I'll get that money back soon.
shizzam125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by psychocustard)
Going out once a week would be fine for me, but even then, that could quite easily eat up an entire's week budget. I've got to factor in laundry, too, which is £3.20 a time here, and then it's stuff like toiletries and fresh fruit and veg, which I can't just buy monthly.
Hey i recognened you do you washing manualy ie buy some detergent poor in a bath with hot water and clean your clothes manualy . It costs pennies at a time ! X
Corpsetaker
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Perhaps you should move back into your parent's house, if applicable? £12 seems really tight.

You should probably apply for places like McDonald's or KFC. They have high staff turnover rates.
viirkokka
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Beat you to it I cook every night, and I seem to be the only one in my flat who realises what a vegetable is :rolleyes: I've done the spag bol thing on a smaller scale, as in making enough for just two nights rather than a week, but that'll start soon, I imagine.
Atm I'm living off pasta, Quorn - I'm one of those cursed veggies - lots of vegetables, bread, cereal, potatoes, and then I've actually got the fruit bowl in my room already I do have a serious sweet tooth though, so I tend to buy one of those lumps of cake in Tesco for £1, and that will last me a week or so, and occasionally some ice cream, but only ever the cheapy stuff, unless the good stuff is on a seriously good offer. I should probably start baking again, thinking about it
I'm not a veggie but I LOVE veggie lasagne, it's the thing I cook most and it's not too expensive 60p for a tin of sweetcorn, quid for a bag of spinach, quid for a pack of maybe 4 peppers, use 2 or 3. 80p for tinned tomatoes. 80p (roughly i guess this) for some lasagne sheets. if you can make your own white sauce even better. Quid for a pack of mushrooms. I find this can give me about 6 portions! It's so versatile too you can just stick whatever veg in you like.
powered_by_pies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not annoying, it's reminding me to do stuff, in a way. I have tried the supermarkets but the thing is, most supermarkets transfer their staff over, which is what they've done here, and they're not taking on for Christmas because they've got so many students to call on already :/ I'll have a look at the union bars and shops tomorrow though, that's a decent idea. Hopefully they've got something - anything!
Ah-ha! Just noticed you've come down to my glorious city of Portsmouth for your uni course. Good girl

Right, in that case, there's one place I can recomend, because I think they might still be looking for staff. It's called Snow + Rock, it's a ski and mountain shop in Port Solent, which is on the outskirts of Portsmouth. Hop on the train at Portsmouth and Southsea, and jump off at Portchester, and it's about another 15 minutes walk from there (or you can grab the bus, but I've never had to do it.)

www.snowandrock.com will give you a clue on what they do. The jobs page is showing nothing from Port Solent, but I think they're still looking - I only left the other week to change over to my placement, and I'm pretty sure my boss was still looking for a couple of part-time staff.

Might be worth checking them out, their phone number's 02392 205 388 - give 'em a call, they're all sound as, and'll help you out if they can.
psychocustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by powered_by_pies)
Ah-ha! Just noticed you've come down to my glorious city of Portsmouth for your uni course. Good girl

Right, in that case, there's one place I can recomend, because I think they might still be looking for staff. It's called Snow + Rock, it's a ski and mountain shop in Port Solent, which is on the outskirts of Portsmouth. Hop on the train at Portsmouth and Southsea, and jump off at Portchester, and it's about another 15 minutes walk from there (or you can grab the bus, but I've never had to do it.)

www.snowandrock.com will give you a clue on what they do. The jobs page is showing nothing from Port Solent, but I think they're still looking - I only left the other week to change over to my placement, and I'm pretty sure my boss was still looking for a couple of part-time staff.

Might be worth checking them out, their phone number's 02392 205 388 - give 'em a call, they're all sound as, and'll help you out if they can.
You are actually AWESOME. I'll give them a call tomorrow, thanks! Message me your name, and I'll say you sent me; that might give me a bit of an edge over the competition I'll let you know how it goes!

(Original post by viirkokka)
I'm not a veggie but I LOVE veggie lasagne, it's the thing I cook most and it's not too expensive 60p for a tin of sweetcorn, quid for a bag of spinach, quid for a pack of maybe 4 peppers, use 2 or 3. 80p for tinned tomatoes. 80p (roughly i guess this) for some lasagne sheets. if you can make your own white sauce even better. Quid for a pack of mushrooms. I find this can give me about 6 portions! It's so versatile too you can just stick whatever veg in you like.
Veggie lasagna :coma: I usually do a big thing of Quorn mince with mushrooms, courgettes, red pepper, and onion, then do layers of spinach. Make all the white sauce myself, and use the basics sheets... I might give that a go tomorrow actually, thanks for reminding me

(Original post by shizzam125)
Hey i recognened you do you washing manualy ie buy some detergent poor in a bath with hot water and clean your clothes manualy . It costs pennies at a time ! X
I don't have a bath though, student halls :/

(Original post by Corpsetaker)
Perhaps you should move back into your parent's house, if applicable? £12 seems really tight.

You should probably apply for places like McDonald's or KFC. They have high staff turnover rates.
Not possible at all. I'm at uni three hours away, and the nearest unis to me - Newport, Cardiff, UWIC - either don't do Law, or I don't fit their requirements, and travelling would financially cripple me that way, too.
Absurd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Beg, steal, or borrow. Or get a job.

Ooh, Portsmouth. Have you tried places in Gunwharf? What about one of those promotions jobs?
psychocustard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Absurd)
Beg, steal, or borrow. Or get a job.

Ooh, Portsmouth. Have you tried places in Gunwharf? What about one of those promotions jobs?
Yeah, most Gunwharf stuff is managerial positions atm, which obviously, I have no chance at. Promotions might be worth a go, actually. Tesco off Commercial Road aren't taking on, though there's some Christmas stuff in Game that I'm going to apply for tomorrow.
xSkyFire
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I know people who are chucking away £100 a week on drinks, I'm just waiting to see what happens when all their loans come back to haunt them after they graduate lol
Natasharox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do you have an overdraft? If not, get one ASAP. As per the job front, perhaps try submitting your CV on the CV help forum on here? It helped me out. It's always an idea when handing CVs out to give in a tailored cover letter too.
powered_by_pies
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You are actually AWESOME. I'll give them a call tomorrow, thanks! Message me your name, and I'll say you sent me; that might give me a bit of an edge over the competition I'll let you know how it goes!

PM sent, best of luck

As I said in the PM, I don't know if the boss can recruit - numbers have shrunk over the years I've been here per season. But even then, it'd be worth a try, and it'd be worth dropping off a CV just in case, as they keep them on file for a while in case anything comes up.
Absurd
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, most Gunwharf stuff is managerial positions atm, which obviously, I have no chance at. Promotions might be worth a go, actually. Tesco off Commercial Road aren't taking on, though there's some Christmas stuff in Game that I'm going to apply for tomorrow.
Ah. Well, there's also your university's careers service which I think is here.
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ok, I've had my loans in for the term, and I'm now left with the mighty sum of £12 a week with which to live on, although that's without buying my textbooks, which will probably leave me totally bankrupt.

My mum will buy me a £50 Tesco shop once a month, which I'm thinking I can live off quite well, but how do I cope otherwise? I don't pay anything for transport, as I walk everywhere, but getting home costs me about £25 so that's a rare occurence, and getting to my boyfriend's costs £14 return, although he's willing to help with that.

So come on TSR, what the hell do I do?
at least ur mum is getting ur groceries for you...
Fluké
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
If you're getting money for food and don't need any for travel to/from university, you'll be fine.
I agree. I think it is possible to manage of £12 for food. Walking to uni is good for your health
neodymium
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get a job at McDonalds/KFC/Sainsbury/Primark
noodles!
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just re: handwashing clothes, get a plastic storage box and fill it up with the shower or something, I used to.
lorietta
Report 9 years ago
Seriously, walk into your psychology department, rip off all the emails that say "£10 for an hour of your time/win £50 for 50 mins reading" ect, ect. Then book appointments with the researchers and see the money roll in, psychology departments/students always need participants. You could try other departments too, but I think Psychology is one of the best as they need real people to test on.

You can get books really cheep of second years too, many of them will sell them on for £10 or less =]. Take full advantage of student nights too, there's a pub near us that does 7 drinks for a fiver on wednesdays. Also take full advantage of freebies, enter competitions online/in newspapers, and you could always sell what you win.

Can you cook? You could always cook a big meal for several friends and ask for money for the ingreidients, which will enable you to buy fresh stuff.
Lord Hysteria
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by neodymium)
Get a job at McDonalds/KFC/Sainsbury/Primark
A lot of these places take about a month for them to get back to you!
I was talking to a guy at the check-out at Sainsbury's and he said he waited 2 months to get that job!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (451)
46.78%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (295)
30.6%
I don't have an opinion (218)
22.61%

Watched Threads