Manchester derby: Huge in the UK or just Manchester alone Watch

Marshyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MM99)
That's b*****ks mate, Arsenal v spurs this season was one of the best atmospheres ive seen at the grove since we moved there and better than most matches ive been to involving other sides.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbzOH...eature=related
:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Erik.)
really?
Ratio would be maximum 60:40, in Utd's favour. It's not as big as is made out, and I'd hazard a guess that the City fans in Ireland are a bit more vocal and outward now, I haven't watched the Manc derby in an Irish pub since the Sheikh arrived.....
LawBore
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
We had a massively packed union, and our local team is Chelsea/Reading.
CB91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're obviously biased towards West Ham. From a Northerners point of view the biggest southern Derby is probably Arsenal v Tottenham. And btw, Stoke have the best atmosphere.
Gardocki
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's the only one I go out of my way to watch if it's on (except Super Sunday) so it's probably the biggest in that respect.
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
You're obviously biased towards West Ham. From a Northerners point of view the biggest southern Derby is probably Arsenal v Tottenham. And btw, Stoke have the best atmosphere.
Arsenal v Tottenham is a pathetic excuse for a 'fierce' derby.
CB91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
Arsenal v Tottenham is a pathetic excuse for a 'fierce' derby.
I never said it was a fierce derby, just the biggest. It's the only one I, and alot of people up here, purposefully go out of my way to watch.
Laurah5498
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Keele SU was packed last night with people watching the game.

Not sure how many of them turned up for Rock-a-oke but it was rather busy in there!!
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gtmad)
real madrid...yeah

liverpool more successful than utd domestically? false.
Never implied domestically. Domestically, Athletic Bilbao could be considered the third biggest club in Spain but I'd doubt anyone would think that, and that is disregarding the cultural and political implications of the club.

The only people who do give a toss about the Manchester derby outside of Greater Manchester are those supporters of teams that are competing for the same honours. Oh, and don't forget all those Utd fans in London. :teeth:

(Original post by River85)
...blah blah blah....regional bias
Hmmm I'd say the Old Firm was in a league of its own in terms of the British context of derbies. The biggest derby in London probably is West Ham-Millwall, but because they hardly play each other its full extent is not realised. And I'm sure people here have equated derby to mean grudge match or against the enemy. Some derbies are more well bahved than others.
Marshyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
Don't get me wrong i can see why you'd think that, two of the biggest clubs down here. I've obviously never been to Gooners/Yids but i've seen us play Tottenham a load of times. I know people who've been to both games, and the atmosphere at West Ham/Tottenham is just as good as their 'rivalry'. I'm sure it used to be great but now it's all media.
Marshyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Marshyy)
http://www.footballfanscensus.com/is...ed_Results.pdf

Nice read on rivalries, although dunno how the data was taken. Interesting part about how BOTH sets of fans see it - got to take that into account.

No Liverpool/Everton, Man City/Man United. There was Toon/Sunderland, West Ham/Wall, Luton/Watford though.
Bump incase no-one saw it.
Stu Laverty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.footballfanscensus.com/is...ed_Results.pdf

Nice read on rivalries, although dunno how the data was taken. Interesting part about how BOTH sets of fans see it - got to take that into account.

No Liverpool/Everton, Man City/Man United. There was Toon/Sunderland, West Ham/Wall, Luton/Watford though.
I think that's why it's hard, IMO, to consider a lot of English derbies that great. Man Utd hate Liverpool according to that, more than they hate City (although that may change with City's fortunes); Arsenal hate Man Utd more than Spurs; Liverpool hate Man Utd more than Everton according to that. It's difficult to consider them even close to the standard of, say, The Old Firm, when they don't even consider each other (Liverpool/Everton, Manchester Derby), their main rivals. Go to Italy, and while everyone hates Juventus and Napoli (IIRC), they'd say their local rivals (e.g. Lazio/Roma, Inter/AC) were the big ones. Same in Scotland, most clubs HATE the Old Firm, but Hibs hate Hearts more than they hate Rangers.
CB91
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't get me wrong i can see why you'd think that, two of the biggest clubs down here. I've obviously never been to Gooners/Yids but i've seen us play Tottenham a load of times. I know people who've been to both games, and the atmosphere at West Ham/Tottenham is just as good as their 'rivalry'. I'm sure it used to be great but now it's all media.
I suppose that if West Ham/Millwall were both in the Prem it would be the biggest, but at the moment it isn't.

On topic though, I don't really care about the Manchester derby although it does generate interest up here. Not alot but still a fair amount.
Marshyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Stu Laverty)
I think that's why it's hard, IMO, to consider a lot of English derbies that great. Man Utd hate Liverpool according to that, more than they hate City (although that may change with City's fortunes); Arsenal hate Man Utd more than Spurs; Liverpool hate Man Utd more than Everton according to that. It's difficult to consider them even close to the standard of, say, The Old Firm, when they don't even consider each other (Liverpool/Everton, Manchester Derby), their main rivals. Go to Italy, and while everyone hates Juventus and Napoli (IIRC), they'd say their local rivals (e.g. Lazio/Roma, Inter/AC) were the big ones. Same in Scotland, most clubs HATE the Old Firm, but Hibs hate Hearts more than they hate Rangers.
Spot on, and that's why the ones in the top both on page 4 (inc. the 3 i mentioned, Newcastle/Sunderland, West Ham/Millwall, Luton/Watford) are the truest rivalries and the greatest derbys.
Marshyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
I suppose that if West Ham/Millwall were both in the Prem it would be the biggest, but at the moment it isn't.
Yep, but not being in the same league does add something. I'd bet my left nut that if Tottenham got relegated, they didn't play Arsenal for years and years, and then they drew them in the cup, there'd be mayhem. Same with any old school rivalry, you forget about who it is untill you don't play them and it all comes back.
MM99
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, well done, you've taken a clip from the upper tier with JCLs and divs in their replica shirts. Do you also want to take a clip of the family enclosure aswell?

Arsenal hate Man Utd more than Spurs
Absolute rubbish. No long standing Arsenal fan hates united more than the yids. Do not confuse this with the sky era armchair fan that sees utd as the 'main rival'. for the majority of Arsenal fans the yids are our most hated rivals first and foremost.
Stu Laverty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MM99)

Absolute rubbish. No long standing Arsenal fan hates united more than the yids. Do not confuse this with the sky era armchair fan that sees utd as the 'main rival'. for the majority of Arsenal fans the yids are our most hated rivals first and foremost.
It's probably changed since then. 2003 the survey was taken, and generally it was Arsenal vs. Man Utd at that time for the title, so its easy to see why people voted that way. The fact that even armchair fans vote that way makes it less of a fierce rivalry, IMO. Bear in mind, Newcastle fans have always hated Man Utd since 1996-ish, and we were a top level club at that time (fighting for the title and Sunderland were battling relegation) but we voted Sunderland our main rivals, and I'd imagine it would be very comfortable as well.

Like I've said, I don't put any English rivalry above my own, then I'd probably go with the Celtic/Rangers derby. Even if Arsenal fans hate Spurs more than any other team, I still wouldn't put it above any other derby, it'd just be a "more interesting than a regular match". Just as I'd expect anyone outside the north-east to perceive the Newcastle/Sunderland match. I'm guessing that not many, outside of London, make that big a deal out of Spurs/Arsenal as a contest.
Marshyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm guessing that not many, outside of London, make that big a deal out of Spurs/Arsenal as a contest.
To be honest i don't even care about that game. I'd rather watch the rivalry between Millwall and ******* Palace or Charlton than that!
MM99
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's probably changed since then. 2003 the survey was taken, and generally it was Arsenal vs. Man Utd at that time for the title, so its easy to see why people voted that way. The fact that even armchair fans vote that way makes it less of a fierce rivalry, IMO. Bear in mind, Newcastle fans have always hated Man Utd since 1996-ish, and we were a top level club at that time (fighting for the title and Sunderland were battling relegation) but we voted Sunderland our main rivals, and I'd imagine it would be very comfortable as well.

Like I've said, I don't put any English rivalry above my own, then I'd probably go with the Celtic/Rangers derby. Even if Arsenal fans hate Spurs more than any other team, I still wouldn't put it above any other derby, it'd just be a "more interesting than a regular match". Just as I'd expect anyone outside the north-east to perceive the Newcastle/Sunderland match. I'm guessing that not many, outside of London, make that big a deal out of Spurs/Arsenal as a contest.
You shouldn't base that off a survey taken in 2003. All i can do is to say my own personal views and that is speaking with many other gooners we all see spurs as our main rivals. Go onto any arsenal fans forum and ask that question and 90%+ will say the same.

As for the second point i never said that the arsenal spurs derby was above any other so im not sure where youre going with that one.
cfc1992
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cool, watch the passion in this video then tell me that it's not the biggest in the south. You're lucky to get a round of applause at the Emirates from half the crowd if they score against Tottenham.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osRbWAvmQLE
Thanks, I've got better stuff to do though than watch youtube supporters. Sooo passionate they felt the need to capture their passion on video camera. In times like that, you often don't give a crap about your phone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.89%
No - I got the required grades (105)
58.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.78%

Watched Threads