we just started on biotechnology chapter
It was ok Just finished dominant, recessive and complimentory epistasis

How are you finding it so far?
ibysaiyan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
OMG i cant wait for the next lesson to start up.
ibysaiyan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Know what i am gonna finish least 2 lessons by the end of this weekend.
cfc18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Our class have been diong meoisis and mitosis but i didnt listen at all .....found there was no piont in confusing myself with the january exam but its time to start writing some revision notes for the june exam , and then some research on genetics!
xXxBaby-BooxXx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey guys. If anyone still can't get over the whole seal thing, there's a pretty satisfying picture on page 111 of the OCR (brain) book
Remarqable M
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
It was ok Just finished dominant, recessive and complimentory epistasis

How are you finding it so far?
haha that's cool we haven't finished biotech yet lol but so far it kept me interested:p:
Remarqable M
Rep:
?
(Original post by MG.GULED)
Our class have been diong meoisis and mitosis but i didnt listen at all .....found there was no piont in confusing myself with the january exam but its time to start writing some revision notes for the june exam , and then some research on genetics!
let us know what you find on genetics!:p:

have u guys started apoptosis yet? went through it this afternoon and found it quite easy to understand:p: learned an interesting fact; our
toes and fingers separate by programmed cell death in the womb!
Remarqable M
Rep:
?
(Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
Hey guys. If anyone still can't get over the whole seal thing, there's a pretty satisfying picture on page 111 of the OCR (brain) book
:toofunny: :borat:
Tinkerbelle ♥
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Remarqable M)
haha that's cool we haven't finished biotech yet lol but so far it kept me interested:p:
:yep: It's not too bad. I'm quite liking it.
Remarqable M
Rep:
?
First post updated

check it out
Tinkerbelle ♥
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
First post updated

check it out
You beauty

Thank you
Sakujo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I hate this unit nothing of interest in it. Well except if a special seal paid a visit in the exam...:awesome:
Remarqable M
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sakujo)
I hate this unit nothing of interest in it. Well except if a special seal paid a visit in the exam...:awesome:
LOL i gurantee you seal will not come up , but gorillas might come up:p:
Sakujo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
LOL i gurantee you seal will not come up , but gorillas might come up:p:
Maybe a bit of both? :holmes:
ibysaiyan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok.. guys about time we get this place bit steamy xD. Here goes:
Certain group of genes are activated into certain differentiated cells.The ones made by most bacteria is: beta-galactoside permease and beta-galactosidase.
beta-galactoside permease: Eases the intake of lactose by the cell(bacteria itself).
Beta-Galactosidase: This one catalyses the break-down of lactose into glucose and galactose.

How does a cell produce all this? DNA of course .Lets zoom closer onto it:
1)We have a region in DNA itself called lac operon. This whole region is involved in certain regulatory processes(for the synthesis of structural protein and has base sequences which determine whether a gene needs to be activated or de-activated, In other words yes/no command .
Note: The regions which will be mentioned from now on are within the lac operon.
2)Operon: This region/length of DNA has base sequences which are involved in transcription ( conversion of dna info into rna for protein synthesis).So basically they synthesis structural proteins.
3) Promoter: This region/length of DNA is specific in shape so that rna-Polymerase can bind to to catalyze transcription.
4)Right to next it is the Operator.If this region is left un-binded it allows transcription to take place.
5)We also have a region called regulator.This has base sequences which are involved in the synthesis of Repressor Proteins.These proteins bind to two different places.In DNA they bind to the operator hence stopping the appearance of a structural protein,they also bind to lactose( which if found in the medium) , their shape changes after binding with lactose.Due to these changes they cant bind to the operator region,so transcription carries on.

Homeobox Genes: Are length of genes which determine how an organism develops from a zygote to an organism.It defines a body structure by assigning various organs into specific spots.In animals all homeobox genes perform same function ,they are homologous.

Grrr.. i am running out of time , Be back later!
I Have No Imagination
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey guys, I'm stuck on this question 'Name one other secondary metabolite produced commercially from a fungus' helpppp.
Remarqable M
Rep:
?
(Original post by I Have No Imagination)
Hey guys, I'm stuck on this question 'Name one other secondary metabolite produced commercially from a fungus' helpppp.
this is what i've found:

Penicillin, Cephalosporin, Ergotrate and statins
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (553)
80.38%
Leave (135)
19.62%

Watched Threads