Turn on thread page Beta

Australian Open Final: Murray v Federer- Official Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wata)
    Better than that, this (Australian Open) is his 22nd Consecutive Grand Slam semi final and final.
    22nd Semi final yeah. Not Final. He didnt make the 2008 Oz final,and hes not made the french final every year for the past 6 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anderson8)
    Have you heard what Fed has been saying? "Its me hes playing against, so it wont be easy" "he must be a good player to have a better head to head record against me" "he needs it more, i dont need it"

Hope Murray stuffs him 6-0 6-0 6-0 now.
    Well, it's true.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its true, but hes not usually that arrogant before a slam final.

He needs a good pasting now. Id accept 6-0 6-1 6-1i

ReputationRep:
    come on Murray!

Have you heard what Fed has been saying? "Its me hes playing against, so it wont be easy" "he must be a good player to have a better head to head record against me" "he needs it more, i dont need it"

Its because he is genuinely scared of Murray, he is trying to put pressure on him.

ReputationRep:
    hate em both

ReputationRep:
    Come on Tim!

I really want Andy to win but I still think that Federer magic will be too much for him. Federer in 5. I hope I am wrong. Might go and bet on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Its because he is genuinely scared of Murray, he is trying to put pressure on him.
    I agree. I think Fed can see that Murray is starting to play the tennis of his life, and i think he knows that its just a matter of time before he is disposessed of the number 1 ranking.

Although, saying that Federer is still the best player in the world right now, and i do expect him to beat murray in 4 sets.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its true, but hes not usually that arrogant before a slam final.

He needs a good pasting now. Id accept 6-0 6-1 6-1i
    How awesome would a stuffing be though :awesome:

I'm probably going to miss half of it. Going out at about 11am on Sunday :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j_a_z_z)
    First, Nadal retiring has everything to do with it. It appears that he still hasn't regained top form since going out of the French. Rafa is untouchable, even by Federer, when he is playing at his best.
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8485282.stm

Playing mind games already, clearly rattled ':rolleyes:'.

ReputationRep:

Hope he rapes Federer. I thought Federer was out of order in what he said and how he said it. Too much arrogance for my liking, lack of respect for his opponent and all his joking around in his conversation with Jim Courier. He seemed to be taking things not seriously enough. More fool him if he gets beat in the final.

Hope he gets thumped.

ReputationRep:
    Is it due to start at 8am or is that just the build-up?

Either way, I'll hopefully be up to watch this. Not going out tonight so shouldn't be too hungover or sleep through it.

ReputationRep:
    I think 8's the pre-match amble. It's getting exiting now.

ReputationRep:
    Early night for me so that I can be up and awake for 8am :woo:

Bring that **** onnnnn :cool:

I want a Murray win, failing this, gimme a classic ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gardocki)
    Is it due to start at 8am or is that just the build-up?

Either way, I'll hopefully be up to watch this. Not going out tonight so shouldn't be too hungover or sleep through it.
    Build up is 8am, they'll come on court at 8.30am.

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I can see it'll be a great final. 5-set thriller I reckon; Federer first set, Murray gets two on the trot, Federer gets a set back, then Murray wins the fifth

ReputationRep:

I don't disagree with any of those quotes to be honest :dontknow:
    It won't be easy for Murray - he's playing arguably the greatest player in the history of the sport, who still seems to have the magic touch.
    Murray must be a good player to have a better head to head record against Federer - not many players do.
    Murray does need it more. If he wants to be regarded as a true great tennis player, he has to win a grand slam soon. OK, he's only 22, but the other players around him (Fed, Nadal, Djokovic and Del Potro) all won their first grand slams when they were younger than him. On the other hand, Federer has done everything he can in the game - he has nothing more to prove.

ReputationRep:
    After scanning through this thread, I've seen some pathetic comments.

I'm also stunned when people call Federer arrogant and ungentlemanly, when pundits, fans, fellows players, legends (Anyone who knows Tennis) know he's the nicest guy on Tour. A good label was put out this week that he is the "Leader of Tennis", on and off court. Do the idiots who label him as arrogant and selfish not know that it was him who set up the "Hit for Haiti" event before the tournament? Do they know he's the only player on tour to actually say Please to the ballkids?

Why shouldn't he enjoy being World Number 1 and the Best Tennis Player of All Time, after all the hard work he's put in, he deserves to enjoy it.

Looking at the match, It makes me laugh when Murray fans cling on to the winning record over Federer as a kind of holy grail of hope, when they forget that almost all of these wins came right after Federer returned to the Tour after being out with glandular fever. Either way Murray needs that 1st set or he's going to be steamrollered - Federer wins 97% of 5 Set matches when he does and Murray's got the attitude of a 4yr old brat and will be in a sulk. And if Murray plays even remotely negative defensive tennis, then he will be on the run for the whole match.

Ultimately if both players play to their very best, Federer will win in straight sets, and he will thoroughly deserve it after playing the best tennis in the tournament.

COME ON ROGER!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DomBres)
    After scanning through this thread, I've seen some pathetic comments.

I'm also stunned when people call Federer arrogant and ungentlemanly, when pundits, fans, fellows players, legends (Anyone who knows Tennis) know he's the nicest guy on Tour. A good label was put out this week that he is the "Leader of Tennis", on and off court. Do the idiots who label him as arrogant and selfish not know that it was him who set up the "Hit for Haiti" event before the tournament? Do they know he's the only player on tour to actually say Please to the ballkids?

Why shouldn't he enjoy being World Number 1 and the Best Tennis Player of All Time, after all the hard work he's put in, he deserves to enjoy it.

Looking at the match, It makes me laugh when Murray fans cling on to the winning record over Federer as a kind of holy grail of hope, when they forget that almost all of these wins came right after Federer returned to the Tour after being out with glandular fever. Either way Murray needs that 1st set or he's going to be steamrollered - Federer wins 97% of 5 Set matches when he does and Murray's got the attitude of a 4yr old brat and will be in a sulk. And if Murray plays even remotely negative defensive tennis, then he will be on the run for the whole match.

Ultimately if both players play to their very best, Federer will win in straight sets, and he will thoroughly deserve it after playing the best tennis in the tournament.

COME ON ROGER!
    You penis. Youre british support Murray. Crapweasle

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.