Why Glasgow Uni is so great-tell me!:) Watch

ribeena
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Madjackismad)
:five:

I'm doing it with English Lit and History. I've also got an unconditional for St Andrews, so I'm undecided where I want to go. I live in Glasgow, and I like the uni and the course sounds pretty good, but I kind of want to go to St Andrews as well, since it has an excellent reputation and it's a lovely uni and I like the idea of moving away. :p:
Likewise, I've applied to St Andrews but can't decide whether to go there or to Glasgow. I love the location of St Andrews and like the fact its so quiet and relaxed yet I don't know very many people - most of the people that get accepted tend to be international students (no offence) and apparently its difficult to get a job. Whereas Glasgow I know really well and the University is in such a good location for studying, and I wouldn't have to move out this year.

I'm so confused :confused:

But I haven't got all my offers back yet so I've still got some waiting to do.
Stace-is-Ace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Smileytwin)
Yeah I was definitely going to go for the smaller flats if I choose Murano, 11 people sounds a bit too much for me...
I'm definitely starting to lean towards Murano since it sounds a lot more social than QM and it is cheaper so that's always good. And I'm sure there are plenty of internationals in murano too since it's so big so I'm not really worried about that. But would you say that Murano is still nice, since I've read some comments about it being really bad etc?
I do want some place which is very social but not crazy 24/7, so in that case Murano sounds pretty good to me
Well I lived in one of the blocks that hadn't been done up yet. It was fine, the kitchen was well equipped and the washing facilities were fine. The bedrooms had plenty of storage and a comfy bed. The rooms are quite small but I found them cosy compared to the one I have now which is huge!

The main downside of the 4 or 5 person flats is that they don't have a cleaning service.
Smileytwin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Stace-is-Ace)
Well I lived in one of the blocks that hadn't been done up yet. It was fine, the kitchen was well equipped and the washing facilities were fine. The bedrooms had plenty of storage and a comfy bed. The rooms are quite small but I found them cosy compared to the one I have now which is huge!

The main downside of the 4 or 5 person flats is that they don't have a cleaning service.
All in all, murano does sound a bit better than QM so I think I've made up my mind now, thanx for your advice
And btw I love Foy Vance too:yep: I'm probably the only one in Finland who has heard of him but still...
Stace-is-Ace
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
All in all, murano does sound a bit better than QM so I think I've made up my mind now, thanx for your advice
And btw I love Foy Vance too:yep: I'm probably the only one in Finland who has heard of him but still...

No way!

I always assume everyone outside of NI wouldn't know who he is! He's awesome!

Hopefully I'll be fresher's helpering this year so i'll see you

I just popped my rev cherry!
Smileytwin
Rep:
?
No way!

I always assume everyone outside of NI wouldn't know who he is! He's awesome!

Hopefully I'll be fresher's helpering this year so i'll see you

I just popped my rev cherry!
Yeah he is, I really want to see him live which I'll hopefully get to do once i'm in Glasgow
That would be really nice, hopefully I'll see you
Smileytwin
Rep:
?
I lived in Murano and REALLY loved it. It's a lot more social and there are quite a few parties but it's not mental 24/7 (I lived in Pentland 11 - 10 person flats). If you wanted a quieter scene in Murano I'd say to go for one of the 4/5 person flats as they tend to be calmer but it depends entirely on your flatmates to be honest.

I had initially put QM halls as my first choice but I'm glad I didn't live there since I had friends who did and found it so dull. Yes, it looks much nicer and you get your own bathroom but from what I heard there was never much going on in the halls. Again it would depend on your flatmates. You're much more likely to meet other people from Finland (and other internationals) living in QM halls but that's not to say there won't be any in Murano.

It depends what sort of social life you're after I guess. Economics will most likely be a breeze for you so don't worry about having to study for hours on end. Personally speaking, I'd go for Murano every time unless I was a mature student.
Hey it's me again, bothering you with some more questions...hope it's okay
I was just kind of wondering how easy you thought it was to settle in? Did you know other people at Glasgow uni when you started? I basically have decided now that I will go:woo: which I'm very excited about (as you can see from the smiley ) I guess I'm just kind of scared and intimidated by the fact that I won't know anyone...I know that there will be other people who are in the same situation but I still worry a bit. Did you like Fresher's week btw, did it live up to the hype?
thanx
Smileytwin
Rep:
?
Anyone else?
Stace-is-Ace
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey it's me again, bothering you with some more questions...hope it's okay
I was just kind of wondering how easy you thought it was to settle in? Did you know other people at Glasgow uni when you started? I basically have decided now that I will go:woo: which I'm very excited about (as you can see from the smiley ) I guess I'm just kind of scared and intimidated by the fact that I won't know anyone...I know that there will be other people who are in the same situation but I still worry a bit. Did you like Fresher's week btw, did it live up to the hype?
thanx

I found it really easy to settle in. I met loads of people in Freshers' Week and over the next few months. I still meet new people all the time now. I knew a few other people who came here but none of them were really friends and we didn't arrange to meet up or anything. Very few of my friends knew people before coming here. Since everyone's in the same situation you all make friends very quickly.

Freshers' Week was amazing...I had such a blast and it's one of those things you and your friends look back on a year or two later and feel all nostalgic about.

Try not to be too shy because that doesn't really help when it comes to making friends. For the first while the workload won't be massive so don't refuse too many invitations to go out/do something as a group because you'll end up feeling left out.

(sorry this is really late - I got your PM but I've been busy)
yimbob
Report 8 years ago
Hi
I have read through this thread and have come to the conclusion that I m likely to face the same "problems" as you! I have a conditional offer for straight eco. Havent heard from all of my choices but im quite sure that i will end up in glasgow. i think you shouldnt worry too much cause there will be probably hundreds of people in a similar situation. as somebody already said earlier as long as you are not too timid you ll definitely not be alone considering all the opportunities unis offer such as sports (football ;-) ) or any other club.

So dont worry, just look forward to it.

ive got some questions regarding accomodation.

What would u advise? Catered? self-catered? single room? shared room? the main problem is that my financial possibilities are limited..... Can you give any recommendation? distance to football pitches? training locations?

Sorry for asking that much and that confusingly. things just come to my mind and its hard to structure my thoughts :P hope you understand and thanks in advance for any reply!
Smileytwin
Rep:
?
(Original post by yimbob)
Hi
I have read through this thread and have come to the conclusion that I m likely to face the same "problems" as you! I have a conditional offer for straight eco. Havent heard from all of my choices but im quite sure that i will end up in glasgow. i think you shouldnt worry too much cause there will be probably hundreds of people in a similar situation. as somebody already said earlier as long as you are not too timid you ll definitely not be alone considering all the opportunities unis offer such as sports (football ;-) ) or any other club.

So dont worry, just look forward to it.

ive got some questions regarding accomodation.

What would u advise? Catered? self-catered? single room? shared room? the main problem is that my financial possibilities are limited..... Can you give any recommendation? distance to football pitches? training locations?

Sorry for asking that much and that confusingly. things just come to my mind and its hard to structure my thoughts :P hope you understand and thanks in advance for any reply!
Yay, someone else who's going to study economics And yeah, you're right, I will try to be as outgoing and social as possible and hopefully things will be fine...Regarding your questions about accommodation etc, I'm not quite sure why you're asking me...? I don't know much about it either that's why I'm on here asking about it... Or did you mean to ask Stace-is-Ace..? Anyway I'm going to go for Murano Street as it's one of the cheapest halls and self-catered which I definitely want. And btw don't worry, I didnt find your questions that confusing
yimbob
Report 8 years ago
Yay, someone else who's going to study economics And yeah, you're right, I will try to be as outgoing and social as possible and hopefully things will be fine...Regarding your questions about accommodation etc, I'm not quite sure why you're asking me...? I don't know much about it either that's why I'm on here asking about it... Or did you mean to ask Stace-is-Ace..? Anyway I'm going to go for Murano Street as it's one of the cheapest halls and self-catered which I definitely want. And btw don't worry, I didnt find your questions that confusing
I actually didnt mean to ask you but rather everyone on the thread. :p:

But anyway, there is something i d like to ask you: Could you please explain the concept of murano street and QM? Are they just huge buildings with many separate flats for either 4,5,10, or 11 eleven persons? I ve always thought I could only choose between single and shared rooms?!
Do you think ill be fine with a self-catered hall as well? my cooking is, eeerm yes, its awful to be honest and being dependent on my flatmates or mc donalds is definitely NOT what i want.
And my last question would be, if you have already decided what other courses youre going to take. I am looking for an interesting combination and want most probably a joint degree after four years.
one last one: are you gonna visit? its quite expensive and i dont know if its worth it?! what would you say?
kieran--f
Report 8 years ago
and whats uws like its near glasgow right?
i was accepted today for motorsport engineering
TheOneWho
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

But anyway, there is something i d like to ask you: Could you please explain the concept of murano street and QM? Are they just huge buildings with many separate flats for either 4,5,10, or 11 eleven persons? I ve always thought I could only choose between single and shared rooms?!
Do you think ill be fine with a self-catered hall as well? my cooking is, eeerm yes, its awful to be honest and being dependent on my flatmates or mc donalds is definitely NOT what i want.
And my last question would be, if you have already decided what other courses youre going to take. I am looking for an interesting combination and want most probably a joint degree after four years.
one last one: are you gonna visit? its quite expensive and i dont know if its worth it?! what would you say?
Halls are low-rise (a few storeys) blocks with several flats in each, varying in size.

You'll need to learn to cook for yourself at some point, might as well get some practice in just now before you go.

(Original post by kieran--f)
and whats uws like its near glasgow right?
i was accepted today for motorsport engineering
UWS is in Paisley which is a ten minute train ride from Glasgow.
kieran--f
Report 8 years ago
ok but is uws any good as a uni?
TheOneWho
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have no idea of its reputation in engineering, or anything really. I think it does quite well in computing-type subjects. Apart from that I don't know. I would say that it is not perceived to be as good as the Glasgow universities, but if the course suits you then does it really matter.
Smileytwin
Rep:
?

As it says on the accommodation website, there are flats for 4-5 people and larger ones for 10-12 persons. What do you mean exactly by single or shared rooms? I mean in Murano you have your own room but share a kitchen and bathroom with your flatmates whereas QM is ensuite.
As someone already said, learn how to cook and you'll be fine... I'm not a very good cook either but I'm pretty confident that I'll manage anyway.
I'm not really sure about my courses etc, but I think I want to do philosophy at least, I'll just see what I like once I actually get there
As for your last question, no, I don't think I'll visit, it's a bit too expensive for me...it's hard to say if it's worth it, if you feel that it's important for you then do it.
yimbob
Report 8 years ago
As it says on the accommodation website, there are flats for 4-5 people and larger ones for 10-12 persons. What do you mean exactly by single or shared rooms? I mean in Murano you have your own room but share a kitchen and bathroom with your flatmates whereas QM is ensuite.
As someone already said, learn how to cook and you'll be fine... I'm not a very good cook either but I'm pretty confident that I'll manage anyway.
I'm not really sure about my courses etc, but I think I want to do philosophy at least, I'll just see what I like once I actually get there
As for your last question, no, I don't think I'll visit, it's a bit too expensive for me...it's hard to say if it's worth it, if you feel that it's important for you then do it.
yeah ok the cooking thing sounds convincing.

To be honest i have been focused on st-andrews all the time and checked the accomodation possibilities very carefully. and there are only single or shared rooms available, certainly in addtion to privatley organized accomodation. So in the beginning i found the imagination of living with 10-12 persons in one flat a bit strange. now as i know how its supposed to work i would go for a 4 or 5 person flat.

i agree with you about visiting. but i am afraid of getting disappointed by being forced to live at a place i do not really like. you know what i mean? what if you recognize that glasgow does not come up to your expectations after 2 months of studying and living?:eek3:
Smileytwin
Rep:
?
yeah ok the cooking thing sounds convincing.

To be honest i have been focused on st-andrews all the time and checked the accomodation possibilities very carefully. and there are only single or shared rooms available, certainly in addtion to privatley organized accomodation. So in the beginning i found the imagination of living with 10-12 persons in one flat a bit strange. now as i know how its supposed to work i would go for a 4 or 5 person flat.

i agree with you about visiting. but i am afraid of getting disappointed by being forced to live at a place i do not really like. you know what i mean? what if you recognize that glasgow does not come up to your expectations after 2 months of studying and living?:eek3:
Well good that you're not worried about that anymore then
Yeah I kind of know what you mean, I am definitely going to go for the smaller flats with 4-5 people, I think that should be just fine.
The visiting thing is a bit tricky yeah but I reckon that if you aren't sure yet and it's that important to you then visit before you make your decision, that way you won't end up in a place you dislike. I was planning on attending the open day but I'm too busy and plus I've heard such nice things about both the uni and Glasgow itself so I'm not really worried... May I ask where you're from btw?
bex285
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
thanks a lot If all goes well I'll have reason to congratulate you a bit later...
I got in!
Smileytwin
Rep:
?
(Original post by bex285)
I got in!
Yaay congratz, that's so great, I'm really happy for you!:woo:

So are you definitely going to Glasgow then?
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (200)
18.74%
No (649)
60.82%
Not really bothered about them (218)
20.43%

Watched Threads