Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisko_197)
    I'm sure there will be plenty of places left to stay.
    There certainly will - there's a huge surplus of student accommodation in Leeds at the moment both in the private big developments and in street properties. No problem at all in leaving it until August.

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm going to have Leeds as my firm for Economics and Management im just really struggling to decide on accomodation!

James Baillie Park, Lyddon... I have no idea! I want nice and social but i think Oxley and Boddington are too much of a trek away. What are your opinions on Charles Morris, the new one?

I'm from Lancashire, near Liverpool

ReputationRep:
    OK, here's the incredibly belated summary of the open day I went to last month. I was planning to type this on the evening, but I got distracted by the Champions League.

The day began with a quick tour around the campus - in which everything revolved in a circle, which is the theme in Leeds - with the majority of areas looking pretty decent (though the lecture halls were very dull, but I'm not too fussed).

Post-tour, we were given a quick talk about Leeds in general and the usual self-plug by the university. After this, we split into two groups: parents stayed behind for a fiscal talk, while the prospective students were split according to their course (for me, Linguistics and Phonetics)... There were actually very few people for my course (most of which were very quiet).

During this, we were taken to numerous places: a tour around the Linguistics areas (small, but nice); the library, which is possibly the nicest I've ever seen AND it's exclusive; the Language research area, where there are speech programs that are used and a program that pairs you up with a 'language buddy' (someone who wants to develop their English, who speaks a language you want to learn). We were finally taken to an accomodation area - Henry Price - which didn't impress me. It seemed grotty, and accomodation remains the only issue which will hopefully be clarified on April 14.

Though in ref to HP, I wasn't even going to apply there. Devonshire Hall, and somewhere else depending on what I see, are where I'll be applying.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got an unconditional offer for Theatre and Performance and so defo going to be in Leeds this year!

I was at Leeds last year doing a completely different course which I withdrew from (family issues) and I lived at Clarence Dock so if anyone wants to know anything about anything Clarence Dock related, feel free to ask or PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonCha)
    Thanks for the info :o:
    What was grotty about H.P? It was going to be my first choice accomodation.
    Dev was up there but I'm not so down with the whole "anti-party" culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    Thanks for the info :o:
    What was grotty about H.P? It was going to be my first choice accomodation.
    Dev was up there but I'm not so down with the whole "anti-party" culture.
    Well we saw the kitchen and a room, which were separate, and the rooms were dead small plus the people who were then at the time weren't entirely clean. It's also massively oversubscribed because of it's at-university location.

Don't get you last point, what you on about?

ReputationRep:
    Well we saw the kitchen and a room, which were separate, and the rooms were dead small plus the people who were then at the time weren't entirely clean. It's also massively oversubscribed because of it's at-university location.

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation...ring/index.htm

N.B. Due to the large number of events and activities and proximity to private residences, private parties are not allowed at this residence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    http://www.leeds.ac.uk/accommodation...ring/index.htm
    Same with Devonshire as well, though the more I see it the more I like it!

Where are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    Same with Devonshire as well, though the more I see it the more I like it!

Where are you thinking of applying to?
    I'm torn, Clarence dock would be pretty cool as it's right in town but that means just going out for a few pints would be quite expensive. It's also a long way from the uni and headingly...

Leodis is full of internationals and has a rep for being boring.

Boddington is just too far and ceebs to pay for the bus tickets/spend all that time on the bus.

Dev, james baille and henry price seem to be up there at the minute...

ReputationRep:

This is mostly the same for all self catered accom. Unless you pay more money for a bigger room/ensuite the size of bedrooms in HP are pretty standard and comparable to those across the various University residences (with the odd exception of course).

ReputationRep:
    Got my unconditional yesterday afternoon Think I may go for Devonshire or James Baillie like I did last year... can't decide which. May go to the accommodation open day this year!

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on studying at Leeds next year as an exchange student. I'm from California. Anyone have any suggestions on accommodations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zooby)
    I am planning on studying at Leeds next year as an exchange student. I'm from California. Anyone have any suggestions on accommodations?
    Do you have a rough idea of your budget? And what sort of accomodation you want? Ensuite or standard? Catered or Self Catered?

ReputationRep:
    anyone management with marketing?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Leeds is my firm unconditional choice to start in Sep 2010 (History & Philosophy of Science with Politics). I originally put Clarence Dock as my accommodation choice but then changed it to Leodis because of the distance from campus; even though it looks like a really nice place to stay!
    All Leeds accomm seems a little pricey for what it is, unless you're willing to live in a dive!

ReputationRep:
    is accommodation first come first serve in leeds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisyear!)
    is accommodation first come first serve in leeds?
    Nope, everyone has the same chance if you apply prior to the deadline.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry too much about those rules about private parties being banned. If you have your friends round and manage to not behave like idiots/set off fire extinguishers/damage things/annoy everyone else trying to sleep, then nobody will know. We used to have small scale block parties quite often, if people were starting to get too giddy then we just went out, problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    ahhhhhhh thats awesome thanks

ReputationRep:
    Got a conditional offer not 100% sure I will manage to get the grades though! However I will try as leeds is so appealing
    Not sure about accommodation was looking at Montague but haven't really heard anyone mention anything about it so not sure what to think So anyone whos visited or knows anything about there it would be much appreciated!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.