Colleges and accomidation Watch

Ebenia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Doodahdoo)
S'fair enough - I get very confused, too. Accommodation could vary greatly; you could get original James, in which the houses are pretty alright and spacious, or you could get Goodricke (or what used to be Goodricke), which are fairly grotty flats. There's really no way to know :p:
Okey, thank you very much. This helped me quite a bit.

Could someone give their opinion on one thing - in which college is more likely to end up in a good accommodation?

I have lived on my own already for 5 years now in a really nice flat and I cannot stand the idea of living in a grotty flat for one year or more. I know it's snobbish, but I cannot help it. I would love to get in to an accommodation where I would feel myself at home and safe...
Interrobang
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If that's true about James and Vanbrugh getting Goodricke, then your best bets are Goodricke and Alcuin then
BradLBlackwell
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by supercoolfred)
Derwent's bar is supposedly undergoing a massive revamp this summer. They're changing the layout and everything, so we'll see how that goes. It also becoming a fully-catered college. Currently, the 'best' bar on campus is probably B-henry's (Alcuin's) as it is the only one which does cocktails. The YUSU bar (Courtyard) is also good, but its often stupidly busy.

Derwent has the best-attended (and therefore best) events. Its the smallest college but excels in sport despite this (Football 1st and 2nds won their respective leagues, and Derwent have one of 4 single-college rugby teams). It also organises Big D in the summer, which is the biggest event on campus (last year tickets (about 1700) sold out in 30 mins). Basically Derwent is the place to be if you want to do lots of stuff and meet lots of ppl in first year (the only year you'll really have time).

Accomodation is varied, and its freezing in winter 'cos of thin windows, and the kitchens are a joke (but fully catered next year anyway...). Yeh, Derwent is the best...

Followed (distantly) by Vanbrugh and James...
Then Alcuin...
Then maybe Halifax...
Goodricke and Langwith...
Thanks for the info. That's all really helpful. What makes you put Vanbrugh and James above Alcuin? I'm tempted to go for Alcuin if I don't go for Derwent. It's just the whole catered thing that's putting me off Derwent.
Apples124
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When I applied, I applied for Alcuin knowing that it was the 'nicest' and most modern accomodation. What I didn't know though, is that there is an ENORMOUS difference between the quality of the buildings. By sheer bad luck, I got put in THE worst block in Alcuin. I applied early on the morning applications opened, so there was absolutely no reason for me to get shiitty accomodation, but I did =/

All I'm gonna say is, I can't remember if there's a box you can WRITE information in, rather than just ticking boxes, but if there is, do try to specify a particular block or building. When you're paying the same as people in 'nice flats', it's depressing that you're stuck in an old, cold, smelly flat with blood stains on the floor (Seriously... It looked like blood) and only 5 other people, 3 of which are Asian and refuse to talk to you.
Charlotte22
Report 8 years ago
I am in Vanburgh Eric Milner-White Court and i was just wondering if any one knows what it is like?
Puppet Strings
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SophieSomething)
When I applied, I applied for Alcuin knowing that it was the 'nicest' and most modern accomodation. What I didn't know though, is that there is an ENORMOUS difference between the quality of the buildings. By sheer bad luck, I got put in THE worst block in Alcuin. I applied early on the morning applications opened, so there was absolutely no reason for me to get shiitty accomodation, but I did =/
Oh dear
Dare I ask... what block were you in?!
Apples124
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Puppet Strings)
Oh dear
Dare I ask... what block were you in?!
G Block.

I also do Biology. You've made a good choice there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (207)
18.5%
No (681)
60.86%
Not really bothered about them (231)
20.64%

Watched Threads