The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

RBarack
FFS a good CV and references are more important than being an MSc Finance student at the LSE.

References? Applied to many banks before?
daemonavn
Really? Well, go ask this year's LSE MSc Finance graduating class and you'll see how few of them actually have offers. And who said this guy has a BB FO internship, anyway that was just an example. Let me tell you this, getting an FO has become so much more competitive since 2008, there are lesser positions, not to mention lesser banks.

And seriously, if you haven't taken full advantage of LSE that's not my problem. LSE econs have about 10-12 hours of weekly lectures and classes (which I reschedule because my TAs let me), I have two days when I don't need to come in to school, what do you think us econ people do the rest of the time? Sleep in the Shaw Library or drink our life away in the tuns? Neither. We take advantage of the fact that LSE alumni hold key positions in Mayfair hedge funds so people work part-time, ever heard of Moore Cap or Lionsgate? No? I thought as much.

Edit: I'm not going to get sucked into this debate. I have seen people throw away their time at LSE and yes I know many many postgrads without offers whereas there are very few undergrads without offers, this was the point of my original post. peace out

You are literally talking complete nonsense. I feel sorry for the people who read your post and whose decisions are affected by it
Reply 62
RBarack
FFS a good CV and references are more important than being an MSc Finance student at the LSE.

References? What are you talking about? Not a single bank I know places any emphasis on references.
solaris23
Does anyone know about LSE MSc Finance placement, does it at least get you interviews?

I answered this for you in your other thread before seeing this one
daemonavn

And seriously, if you haven't taken full advantage of LSE that's not my problem. LSE econs have about 10-12 hours of weekly lectures and classes (which I reschedule because my TAs let me), I have two days when I don't need to come in to school, what do you think us econ people do the rest of the time? Sleep in the Shaw Library or drink our life away in the tuns? Neither. We take advantage of the fact that LSE alumni hold key positions in Mayfair hedge funds so people work part-time, ever heard of Moore Cap or Lionsgate? No? I thought as much.

Contrary to what everyone else seems to be saying, I feel you make a very valid point. The majority of university students (including myself) waste a lot of time being very unproductive. Playing sports and going out is definitely part of the university experience, and I don't feel it is something that should be missed out on. At the same time, I don't think spending 3 days per week in bed trying to recover from chundering everywhere while rewatching Entourage from Season 1 is exactly the best way to maximise the experience either. Quite frankly, you can easily fit in a couple of training sessions, a couple of night outs, and some part-time work around lectures and other university commitments. Anyone who feels that they're so strained for time at university to be unable to do this must be very inefficient.

Also, the hypocrisy of this forum is quite beautiful at times. You worship the likes of Jan, idolising him for his achievements. Yet when someone comes and essentially tells you to do exactly what he did, you ridicule him.
Reply 65
daemonavn
Really? Well, go ask this year's LSE MSc Finance graduating class and you'll see how few of them actually have offers. And who said this guy has a BB FO internship, anyway that was just an example. Let me tell you this, getting an FO has become so much more competitive since 2008, there are lesser positions, not to mention lesser banks.

Edit: I'm not going to get sucked into this debate. I have seen people throw away their time at LSE and yes I know many many postgrads without offers whereas there are very few undergrads without offers, this was the point of my original post. peace out

Jesus, exactly why LSE is so f*ing lame. Spend half day in lectures, then when you're done - go suck off someone at a hedge fund. LSE students probably run cost-benefit analysis on future career and networking prospects before they decide to have sex with someone. A bunch of losers with no life outside the investment banking, no idea about the real world, and a precarious hold on reality which is un-useful in the industry they want go into.
Billy_Van_Barzini
Also, the hypocrisy of this forum is quite beautiful at times. You worship the likes of Jan, idolising him for his achievements. Yet when someone comes and essentially tells you to do exactly what he did, you ridicule him.

I don't worship anyone but myself.

People can do whatever the **** they want with their lives, just don't preach your **** to me.
Reply 67
PorcineAviation
I don't worship anyone but myself.

People can do whatever the **** they want with their lives, just don't preach your **** to me.

Jan Sramek is top 100 investment banker. A good way to follow?
GwonTon

No.
GwonTon

He's Top 3 under 30, apparently. His <1 year of experience definitely qualifies him as that.

http://dealbreaker.com/2010/05/heres-the-three-top-traders-under-30/
Who cares?

This isn't Hello magazine.

In all seriousness, you know why Jan is so well known? It's because of the incessant knobjockey threads of "10 As? Twaaaaat" "Nuh uh, ive met him and hes lovely". God it's dull.
Reply 71
Billy_Van_Barzini
He's Top 3 under 30, apparently. His <1 year of experience definitely qualifies him as that.

This is amazing achevement in 1 years, yes?
GwonTon
This is amazing achevement in 1 years, yes?

Not really. 1 year of trading, 23 years of self-promotion.
For the love of Christ, SHUT THE **** UP.
Reply 74
PorcineAviation
For the love of Christ, SHUT THE **** UP.

:ottid: :eek3:
Billy_Van_Barzini

Interesting article. I found these comments most interesting

I also knew Jan at university. Half the stuff he comes up with is a total exaggeration, the other half was a heavily disguised lie. Also: ego the size of a Canary Wharf tower block.

On the other hand, I have no doubt his attitude will have helped him manage an aura of perceived success, which in turn have put him where he is.

Jan is actually incredible…at self promotion.

Olympic ‘hopeful’..for the Czech Republic…in Handball. Great!
All those ‘companies’…but how many are profitable, Jan?
Amalgamating various self-help books into one. Nice work!

Sure, he is smart, but no smarter than the majority of others on the trading floor. He just promotes himself more than everyone else. Whether it’s through attending campus events or by posting on student forums, it doesn’t really matter. The point is, he hasn’t proved anything as a trader, and really doesn’t deserve to be on the list….yet.

My brother told me the only reason he got so much media attention in the first place was because he got a few of his friends to write articles about him. On the other hand, maybe these friends of his found his story interesting, wrote about it, and the media storm just erupted from there. Either way, his accomplishments are still pretty impressive, and getting a GS EM trading offer during the worst recruiting season in a decade deserves props as well.
I agree that LSE is not the school it used to be and that is has become a bit of a degree factory. However, relatively speaking, it is still top 3 in Europe for entry-level banking and consulting recruitment.
Billy_Van_Barzini
Not really. 1 year of trading, 23 years of self-promotion.

:ditto:
He is a great example of how to hype and self promote yourself successfully.
Reply 79
flugestuge
:ditto:
He is a great example of how to hype and self promote yourself successfully.

Goldman were always going to pick him up. It was the perfect match for them. By a few snippets ive heard, his first year hasnt been as stellar as many of you would want/expect.

Theres no doubt the guy is talented, but breaking down the A Levels you'll see its not as impressive as it first appears with the amount of overlap essentially making it 4/5 A Levels and not 10.

Met him a couple of times, and he certainly attempts to maintain the superiority and dismissive behaviour that everyone seems to idolise him for.

As for this rather pointless dick swinging on whether students should maximise their time at university working for HF/PE. Its not the norm, it never will be. Personally, I was quite happy having down time where i sit and watch piss loads of crap on iPlayer/TV seasons.

Stop thinking about your CVs. Its about as unhealthy as chinning a KFC Fat Fu..ker bucket at 3am after a whole day on the lash.

Latest

Trending

Trending