Dividing anything by 0? Watch

Oh I Really Don't Care
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by birdsong1)
\infty is misinforming notation. If you notice, the poster was talking about infinite numberS which merely extend the natural numbers. Given an infinite number N, the additive inverse would simply be -N, and the multiplicative inverse 1/N (an infinitesimal).

Associativity of addition is one of the properties that are transferred into this field. With your example, it is not true that -N + 6 = -N because (if I am not mistaken) the statement \forall x \in \mathbb{N}, x + 6 \neq x is transferred.
What are you talking about?
Dadeyemi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
1/0 = 0 obviously,

x=1/0=(1^2)/(0^2)= (1/0)^2=x^2 so x=0

It's simple maths.
birdsong1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DeanK22)
?? Basically everything - lose additive inverses, multiplicative inverses.
Nah, because
\forall x \in \mathbb{R}, \exists y \in \mathbb{R} : x*y = 1
\forall x \in \mathbb{R}, \exists y \in \mathbb{R} : x + y = 0
are transferred. You might want to check his link.
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nah, because
the first one of those statements is false ...
Derringer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
has anyone ever sucessfully divided something into 1? or is that just an oxymoron?
ziedj
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nah, because
does 0 not belong to R ?
birdsong1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What are you talking about?
So my previous answer might not have been fair. Basically, there are many models which satisfy the axioms of the real numbers, the most common one being the standard model we all know about. But there are also nonstandard models which contain infintesimal and infinite numbers. These models have to satisfy the axioms with respect to their members (that's the definition of a model) but they might not satisfy them with respect to the standard members. (When the standard members, the usual reals, are considered to be embedded in this nonstandard model.)

For example, the archemedian principle, that \forall x \in \mathbb{R} \exists y \in \mathbb{N} : \frac{1}{y} < x must be satisfied for the nonstandard model, but is not satisfied if y only ranges over the standard integers (x can be infintesimal, so that y needs to be infinite, that is, bigger than any standard integer).

In order to make this work with more than first order sentences, more complicated "superstructures" have to be considered with less obvious embeddings. One result is that not all statements get transferred in cleanly, like for example the least upper bound statement. But that's too much explanation.
birdsong1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
the first one of those statements is false ...
Hm, yeah, but I think the corresponding sentence is transferred also (worded \forall x \in \mathbb{R}, \exists y \in \mathbb{R} :  x = 0 \vee xy = 1)
Oh I Really Don't Care
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So my previous answer might not have been fair. Basically, there are many models which satisfy the axioms of the real numbers, the most common one being the standard model we all know about. But there are also nonstandard models which contain infintesimal and infinite numbers. These models have to satisfy the axioms with respect to their members (that's the definition of a model) but they might not satisfy them with respect to the standard members. (When the standard members, the usual reals, are considered to be embedded in this nonstandard model.)

For example, the archemedian principle, that \forall x \in \mathbb{R} \exists y \in \mathbb{N} : \frac{1}{y} < x must be satisfied for the nonstandard model, but is not satisfied if y only ranges over the standard integers (x can be infintesimal, so that y needs to be infinite, that is, bigger than any standard integer).

In order to make this work with more than first order sentences, more complicated "superstructures" have to be considered with less obvious embeddings. One result is that not all statements get transferred in cleanly, like for example the least upper bound statement. But that's too much explanation.
You aren't making alot of sense. Up to isomorphism the real numbers (that is a complete linearly ordered field) is unique. You can come up with loads of these things - like fields that are non-archimidean, fields that don't obey the completeness axioms, fields that aren't ordered, etc but no one wants to use them for analysis, roughly speaking. Besides the point you just seem to be rattling on about setting up a model for some axioms, but aren't telling me what the axioms are or telling me what any of your definitions or sets are or what properties half your elelemnts have ...
birdsong1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You aren't making alot of sense. Up to isomorphism the real numbers (that is a complete linearly ordered field) is unique.
Not exactly, because you are missing an essential property, the lub, which "the set of all infintesimals" obviously does not have.

You can come up with loads of these things - like fields that are non-archimidean, fields that don't obey the completeness axioms, fields that aren't ordered, etc but no one wants to use them for analysis, roughly speaking.
A transfer principle of statements between the two models helps a lot in this regard.

Besides the point you just seem to be rattling on about setting up a model for some axioms, but aren't telling me what the axioms are or telling me what any of your definitions or sets are or what properties half your elelemnts have ...
Basically, not only would it be way too long, but I don't even know half this stuff (although admittedly I should look it up and try to explain to you as an exercise). For more immediate results, however, look it up: nonstandard analysis.
Saichu
Badges: 9
Report 8 years ago
(although admittedly I should look it up and try to explain to you as an exercise)
You aren't making alot of sense. Up to isomorphism the real numbers (that is a complete linearly ordered field) is unique. You can come up with loads of these things - like fields that are non-archimidean, fields that don't obey the completeness axioms, fields that aren't ordered, etc but no one wants to use them for analysis, roughly speaking.
I randomly came across this thread a few weeks ago, and I believe I have beaten you both to the punch.

http://www.math.tamu.edu/~saichu/Nonstandard.html*

(I've been meaning to write such an introduction for a while now.)

To answer your question, Dean, what distinguishes the hyperreals from the reals is that not all subsets have the lub property, only the so-called internal subsets.

The distinguishing factor is not, as common misconception puts it *cough Ian Stewart's revision of "What is Mathematics" cough*, that the hyperreals simply don't satisfy the reals' second-order statements. If they didn't, they'd be worthless. But they satisfy them in a limited way, and this limited way is good enough to make them still fruitful in analysis.

*Still taking suggestions/revisions
lfcwes605
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dadeyemi)
1/0 = 0 obviously,

x=1/0=(1^2)/(0^2)= (1/0)^2=x^2 so x=0

It's simple maths.
1/0 doesn't equal 0,
if it did then you would get
1 = 0^2
which would lead to 1 = 0
Your simple maths is wrong, sorry
JAKstriked
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lfcwes605)
1/0 doesn't equal 0,
if it did then you would get
1 = 0^2
which would lead to 1 = 0
Your simple maths is wrong, sorry
You don't think it's possible he was joking?
lfcwes605
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JAKstriked)
You don't think it's possible he was joking?
Haha good point....hmmm well if anyone believes 1/0 can equal 0 they have an answer there for why it doesn't
mustang1972
Report 8 years ago
These type of threads have a number of responses

(i) People blindly quoting cliches they have no idea about
(ii) People not reading messages before them, then posting **** despite it clearly not being the case
(iii) Some good mathematical discussion

Shame the majority doesnt fit into the last part, but well done to those who have pushed the thread the right way.

IM 100% SURE SOME FOOL WILL POST AFTER THIS ABOUT \iT BEING INFINITY
planetearth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Dividing anything by 0 = infinite. Not 0. Most mathematicians should know that. It is that simple.

EDIT: I am gladly that fool that stated it was infinite ^^
scubafreak
Report 8 years ago
Dividing is just repeated subtraction. 10/2 is 10 - 2, -2, -2, -2, -2 until you get 0. Then your answer is how many times you've taken away. You can do 10 - 0 -0 -0 til you're blue in the face and still end up with 10. So I guess you could say it's infinity, you can go on forever and not get an answer.
planetearth
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by scubafreak)
Dividing is just repeated subtraction. 10/2 is 10 - 2, -2, -2, -2, -2 until you get 0. Then your answer is how many times you've taken away. You can do 10 - 0 -0 -0 til you're blue in the face and still end up with 10. So I guess you could say it's infinity, you can go on forever and not get an answer.
Exactly.
birdsong1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Saichu)
I randomly came across this thread a few weeks ago, and I believe I have beaten you both to the punch.

http://www.math.tamu.edu/~saichu/Nonstandard.html*

(I've been meaning to write such an introduction for a while now.)

To answer your question, Dean, what distinguishes the hyperreals from the reals is that not all subsets have the lub property, only the so-called internal subsets.
Personally, I wouldn't have used typed theory. Superstructures can be analyzed fine within the context of model theory. But an interesting take on Nonstandard Analysis, nonetheless.
Mobix
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
0/0 = 1 there you go problem solved;p
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (141)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (165)
53.92%