UK's first abortion services ad to be broadcast Watch

Poll: Are ads like this a good idea?
Women need more advice on where to go for abortions (109)
74.66%
I agree with the opposing group, it does trivialise it (37)
25.34%
Rainbows!
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Rather than splash the information through a TV advert which is only going to be focused at women anyway,why not put the advert in a women's magazine? I'm a woman and i wouldn't like the fact such a personal choice was just splashed about freely.If i was considering having an abortion then I would probably take more notice of it in a magazine aimed at women than just on TV after the news or something.It would make that personal choice just feel more,personal? I don't know...:confused:
bestie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Sorani)
Where are people getting this 'all women know where to go for abortions' garbage from? There are plenty of young girls who have no idea, or are afraid to go to a family GP about it because even with confidentiality there's the tiny fear that other people will find out. The advert is a great idea for girls who are scared and need some confidential advice on what they can do and where they can go.

Just because you know something, doesn't mean every person in the country also knows it.
You speak to most girls over the age of 16 and they will be able to tell you all about family planning clinics, GUM clinic and of course GOOGLE. I've never heard of a women not being able to find out where to have an abortion. Though I've heard of plenty of young girls being scared and coerced into making a serious decision without proper thought.

If this was a NHS advice ad, like those stop smoking ones it wouldn't be so bad but it's not, it's a "charity" (that charges for some of its services I may add), with a vested interest into channelling people to its hotline so it can promote the options it considers best. They are not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

If this is really needed then let the NHS promote it.
jammiebreadman
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Callipygian)
Huh?

dont you remember when there were those bus adverts, one was saying "god probably doesnt exsist" and then the christians made one saying "god exsists" etc?

These religious charities do have money.
Sure, they might have enough for just a bus advert but their funds are nothing compared to Marie Stopes who get their money from abortions. Have you ever seen a religious advert on TV?

Marie Stopes make money from abortions, so they have money to advertise them. Life, SPUC etc make nothing from a women choosing to keep her baby or having it adopted (and even lose money from helping her), so have no money for such adverts.
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I agree with it.

And anti-abortion groups need to get a grip, it's not their decision to make or influence in any way unless it's their own situation.
Tufts
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Does this mean that the SPUC can make a political broadcast on their anti-abortion agenda now?
I'm all for freedom of speech.

Pro-choice, pro-life, let people talk! The public will then decide for themselves how they feel.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Tufts)
I'm all for freedom of speech.

Pro-choice, pro-life, let people talk! The public will then decide for themselves how they feel.
http://www.publications.parliament.u...0515/bbc-1.htm

So it was the Pro-Life Alliance instead of the SPUC.

I just thought this decision was a shame. I'm not comfortable with deciding things on taste because it's often selective.
A-W-H
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paddyman4)
It is a bit sick tbh, everyone knows about abortions, you can just ask your doctor if you're not sure. No need for an advert. It would be as bad as showing a euthanasia advert if that were legal here. "Tired of living? Feeling like a burden? Suicide towers could be just what you're looking for!"

Will it be followed by a disclaimer like when they advertise alcohol? "Please abort responsibly".
The euthanasia bit haha!
werd123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surely even those who are pro-life would rather that if a woman is going to have an abortion, she knows where to go and has it done properly?
richwhite
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think there's a need for an advert. I actually consider it pretty poor taste, and as someone who has direct experience with this there is part of me that considers it offensive. I don't know if i agree about trivialising it, maybe it does, but mainly i think it's pretty poor taste to punch out a reminder of it to any would-be parents at home who happen to catch the advert - even if an abortion was agreed on and considered the best option, there won't be many people who aren't affected by it.
The fact 350,000 people called in and over 200,000 abortions were performed in 2008 quite clearly shows people aren't at a loss for where to get them done.

If anyone knows of a woman with a child who wanted an abortion but couldn't find where to get one, i'll retract my statements.
maybesBABY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by werd123)
Surely even those who are pro-life would rather that if a woman is going to have an abortion, she knows where to go and has it done properly?

this.

and although i don't like how it's being turned into an advert i think its very important to get the message out there that there is help at hand should someone need it.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Being anti abortion is a really stupid position its not your body and its not your choice get out.
onthejubileeline
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Surely a GP could furnish any woman on her options concerning abortion? I'll have to reserve my judgement on how the advert deals with the issue, and if it is appropriately and responsibly made, I can't really oppose it. However, currently, I can't see how it is entirely necessary.
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Brilliant. I want abortion to become more socially acceptable and normalised, there is no need for there to be stigma attached to it.

I don't think most women know much about where to go for a private, non-NHS abortion. I don't, anyway. I'm looking at the prices on their website and feel lucky that I actually have enough in my savings. I'm sure many, many women won't be able to spare that much and have to wait longer for NHS abortions. This needs sorting out. Anyone who claims to care about foetuses would be all for making sure we have easy and quick access to NHS abortions, as opposed to having to wait longer.
katebushfan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not religious or one of these 'pro life' people, but the over liberal attitude towards abortion is pretty disturbing. I'd say I'm pro abortion to an EXTENT. But it's not the parent's or the woman's 'right' as they put it. It's someone's right to be able to use protection, contraception etc, but to use abortion so frequently when we know what happens even in the early stages of the gestation period is just blind and cold. There's no such thing as an accident, and only knowing a month or two later.
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by katebushfan)
I'm not religious or one of these 'pro life' people, but the over liberal attitude towards abortion is pretty disturbing. I'd say I'm pro abortion to an EXTENT. But it's not the parent's or the woman's 'right' as they put it. It's someone's right to be able to use protection, contraception etc, but to use abortion so frequently when we know what happens even in the early stages of the gestation period is just blind and cold. There's no such thing as an accident, and only knowing a month or two later.
What do you mean?
SpamBa
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
Brilliant. I want abortion to become more socially acceptable and normalised, there is no need for there to be stigma attached to it.

I don't think most women know much about where to go for a private, non-NHS abortion. I don't, anyway. I'm looking at the prices on their website and feel lucky that I actually have enough in my savings. I'm sure many, many women won't be able to spare that much and have to wait longer for NHS abortions. This needs sorting out. Anyone who claims to care about foetuses would be all for making sure we have easy and quick access to NHS abortions, as opposed to having to wait longer.
Also I believe on the NHS you normally have to take tablets to induce a miscarriage, whereas privately you can have it done as an operation under general anaesthetic. Someone I know was going to have to miscarry at almost 18 weeks because the NHS delayed her for so long.

---

Isn't this advert promoting a helpline to give women advice about their options, including but not limited to abortion? I don't get the impression that it's treating the whole thing callously. I'm glad this helpline is there, I wouldn't know what to do if I got pregnant. Especially since the doctor's is miles away and it's damn near impossible to get an appointment.
nolongerhearthemusic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SpamBa)
Also I believe on the NHS you normally have to take tablets to induce a miscarriage, whereas privately you can have it done as an operation under general anaesthetic. Someone I know was going to have to miscarry at almost 18 weeks because the NHS delayed her for so long.
What do you mean - are you saying that on the NHS if you are able to have a chemically-induced abortion (i.e. up to something like 8 or 9 weeks of pregnancy) you don't have the option for a surgical one instead? Or what?
bestie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

There isn't a long wait for NHS abortions, at least those performed with drugs needing no surgery. No matter where you go, you still need two doctors agreement, a consultation, then two pills, generally 48 hrs apart. Private abortions are generally profiteering off worried women.
bestie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What do you mean - are you saying that on the NHS if you are able to have a chemically-induced abortion (i.e. up to something like 8 or 9 weeks of pregnancy) you don't have the option for a surgical one instead? Or what?
It all depends. Generally the later the pregnancy, the more invasive the procedure. The NHS prefers non-surgical up to 7-9 weeks, as it is less invasive and has less risk involved. If you strongly oppose, the doctors have some leeway. From there to 15 weeks the perfected option is suction and after that surgery is pretty much the only and best option.
Lizia
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's someone's right to be able to use protection, contraception etc, but to use abortion so frequently when we know what happens even in the early stages of the gestation period is just blind and cold..
You do realise contraception fails on a shockingly regular basis, yes? I don't know anyone who hasn't had experience with a condom breaking or slipping at least once while they've been sexually active. Even if used perfectly, condoms have a 2% failure rate. In reality, considering human error and using the incorrectly, the failure rate is more like 15%. The Pill itself has a "real world" failure rate of 8%, and it really isn't that hard to miss a pill occasionally. So even if someone uses protection, they can still end up pregnant.

There's no such thing as an accident, and only knowing a month or two later.
Certain contraceptive pills stop a woman's periods completely. A lack of period is generally what makes women realise they're pregnant. So if the Pill fails, it's completely possible that a woman wouldn't know for months. Likewise if someone's using a condom, they have a fairly high failure rate, so if a woman doesn't have regular periods there might be nothing to alert her to pregnancy straight away.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (7)
17.5%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (18)
45%
Nope, not that interesting (15)
37.5%

Watched Threads