AQA B2 21st May 2010 Exam Discussion Watch

Bshears
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
Hi,

I just did the paper and i am preidcted an A* and i wondered if anyone knows what the grade boundaries will be? Also, the paper was REALLY hard--nothing like previous years'!!!????
adil12
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TooEasy123)
So I dropped marks in the following for sure:
2 carbon compounds (2 marks)

chromosomes in a gamete cell of a goat - i didnt read the word goat and assumed human!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 mark)

unsure of marks on these:

why does the carnivore release more energy by respiration than a herbivore? (1 mark) i put the food consumed by a carnivore will have been further in the food chain, so there would be less biomass and so some of it would be less efficient ha

what is the function of DNA (2 marks)
i put carries genetic information e.g eye colour

other than that everything was fine xD
Haha you did what I did xD I didn't read the question and said chromosomes for humans too! So I lost 2 marks with the numbers there, and for the DNA I said it carries genetic information and it is inherited by parents when passed on. Other than these everything else was super easy xD
Bshears
Report 8 years ago
i think the asnwer was insulin (part C) because insulin is a protein and ribosomes synthesise proteins??
adil12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lil_kittie2)
yourr right about the herbivores. im such a fool!! i wrote: to maintain a constant internal temp highre than the surroundings , i was thinking that carnvores were mammals. and i mucked up carbon is said: fats and carbohydrates. and ahh i lost marks on why are there equal numbers of chromosomes..
For the carbon one you didn't muck up because fats and carbohydrates are right :cool:
lil_kittie2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by adil12)
Carbon compounds are proteins, carbohydrates and fats
Paper was easy
i put fats, im such an idiot. fats arent in plants, so we got that wrong but carbohdrates is right
TooEasy123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha you did what I did xD I didn't read the question and said chromosomes for humans too! So I lost 2 marks with the numbers there, and for the DNA I said it carries genetic information and it is inherited by parents when passed on. Other than these everything else was super easy xD
haha well if the boundary for an A* is 35 or lower, which it probably will be, then we have nothing to worry about :P xD wooooo.
adil12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lil_kittie2)
i put fats, im such an idiot. fats arent in plants, so we got that wrong but carbohdrates is right
I actually put carbohydrates and proteins

But fats would be fine too :yep:
adil12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
haha well if the boundary for an A* is 35 or lower, which it probably will be, then we have nothing to worry about :P xD wooooo.
Haha agreed there man What did you put for what the herbivore uses respiration for? I said Movement and Heat
TooEasy123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha agreed there man What did you put for what the herbivore uses respiration for? I said Movement and Heat
Muscle contraction and Body Temperature Regulation lol pretty much the same thing:P
What did ya put for the bile question?
lemony :)
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sendi_12)
THAT WAS pretty easy as i hate the large 3 mark questions,

However, for rate of photosynthesis i put volume of gass given off and time taken? that right?

and for controlled variables i put, constant temperature, and mass of pondweed ?

:s

that's what i had originally but i changed it to carbon dioxide and light intensity as i assumed the whole question was to do with limiting factors. god, i had so many crossings out my examiner might just fail me for that alone.
same as you for the bile one, but also talked about neutralisation and optimum pH levels.
DonBorat
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lemony :))
that's what i had originally but i changed it to carbon dioxide and light intensity as i assumed the whole question was to do with limiting factors. god, i had so many crossings out my examiner might just fail me for that alone.
same as you for the bile one, but also talked about neutralisation and optimum pH levels.
yeah i mentioned the neutralisation, as everyone found it hard the grade boundaries will be low

i kept writing more than the space provided(the dotted lines) and wrote under it, is that ok i am worried they might not read it lol
Hanz_a93
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lemony :))
I did a lot of crossing out also!! :eek3: :eek3: :eek:
TooEasy123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I put it emulsifise lactose as it is a lipid, and this breaks it up into smaller droplets so the enzymes lactase has a larger surface area to work on, to increase rate of reaction
I put: "Milk contains lipids (fats). The bile breaks the lipids down from globules to droplets thereby increasing the surface area thus allowing the enzyme lipase to convert the lipids into fatty acids and glyceral at a faster rate!" i bet the examiners will laugh at the exclamation mark lool
DonBorat
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ha jokes i hope chem n physics is easy like this

because i hate MOMENTUM!!!!

my teacher says momentum before = after each time i say i need hhelp argh
Banoffeepie16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Muscle contraction and Body Temperature Regulation lol pretty much the same thing:P
What did ya put for the bile question?
For the bile question I pretty much just described the function of bile in the intestine... I hope that's enough to get some of the marks.
Cashper1234
Report 8 years ago
Yeah I put it neutralizes the stomach acid at which enzymes such as lactase work best at in the small intestine or alternatively you could have wrote it emusilfies fats giving them a larger surface area so the enzymes can work much faster. Either one of these will get you the two marks
Cashper1234
Report 8 years ago
This paper was a complete shamble, in my opinion it was much different to any other paper
TooEasy123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ha jokes i hope chem n physics is easy like this

because i hate MOMENTUM!!!!

my teacher says momentum before = after each time i say i need hhelp argh
you have P2 and C2 to do? we did P2 back in january lol nearly all of the questions are maths related :/
DonBorat
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
you have P2 and C2 to do? we did P2 back in january lol nearly all of the questions are maths related :/
yeah chemistry on wednesday , phyics on friday :woo:
Emzilla
Report 8 years ago
The January paper is different to the May paper, so there could be more maths related ones in the May paper.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (863)
80.28%
Leave (212)
19.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise