Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veeebz)
    there is loads of stuff that hasnt come up on previous papers and may come up 2moro, does anyone have a clue as to what may come up and i hate immunity and disease and that seems most likely atm.....
    thanks
    I've got a feeling cholera is going to come up, i'm not sure why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_Need_To_Revise)
    Can someone please explain how starch is digested through the body and also the absorption of monosaccharides...Thanks

Salivary Amylase in mouth hydrolyses Starch into maltose

Pushed down oesophagus to Stomach, where acidic conditions denature enzymes, preventing further hydrolysis of Starch

Moves into Small Intestine where alkaline salts are produced to keep PH at neutral. Pancreatic juice mixed with remaining starch, which contains Pancreatic amylase, which hydrolyses remaining starch into Maltose

Further along the small intestine, epithelial lining produces Maltase which hydrolysis Maltose into Alpha-Glucose

Absorbed into blood via diffusion and Co-Transport

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown-User)

Pushed down oesophagus to Stomach, where acidic conditions denature enzymes, preventing further hydrolysis of Starch

Moves into Small Intestine where alkaline salts are produced to keep PH at neutral. Pancreatic juice mixed with remaining starch, which contains Pancreatic amylase, which hydrolyses remaining starch into Maltose

Further along the small intestine, epithelial lining produces Maltase which hydrolysis Maltose into Alpha-Glucose

thanks good description- very helpful

ReputationRep:
    thanks good description- very helpful
    However make sure you put hydrolyses glycosidic bonds which is worth a mark

ReputationRep:
    And so Polyclonal Antibodies are antibodies produced from different B Cells? And all the Polyclonal antibodies are different right?

Does anyone know if the Production of Monoclonal antibodies has come up in the New Spec papers yet? Could be one of the 5 markers at the end of the paper if it hasn't come up...
    Monoclonal antibodies came up last year I think, and did in jan 2010 too.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone taking this exam, I'm not looking forward to it at all !

ReputationRep:
    in theory i understand the biolgy behind everything
    but AQA's stupid questions confuse me

HARDCORE REVISION TONIGHT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LettersFromTheSky)
    Monoclonal antibodies came up last year I think, and did in jan 2010 too.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone taking this exam, I'm not looking forward to it at all !
    Hmm, hopefully they won't ask anything on it then

Then again, if one of the 5 markers at the end involve production of monoclonal antibodies, I may actually know it as i'll be revising it for a quite a while tonight :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEM1STRY)
    However make sure you put hydrolyses glycosidic bonds which is worth a mark
    kk kool

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any guesses on what the 5 markers will be at the end?
    In jan 2010 it was on the cardiac cycle and i think myocardial infarction...

ReputationRep:
    Annnnd finished.

Whoo.

Good luck everyone, I've got about 6 hours of exam past papers to do before sleepy time.

ReputationRep:
    Please help me
    I'm gonna fail this so badly, i feel like I can wing unit 2. But Unit 1 is everything I hate

ReputationRep:
    Im going to guess chemical tests. Just because it hasn't come up as a 5 mark question yet.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it'll be something on immunity!
    in june 09 it was on starch digestion on glucose absorption
    and jan 09 it was the difference between a prokaryote and eukaryote, and TEMs

Which is annoying because I find immunity most difficult!

ReputationRep:

This is an excellent summary
    Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Can you list 5 points (bullet points) on the 5 mark questions or does it need to be a paragraph with good English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VULGAR123)
    This is an excellent summary
    Thanks x
    No Problem

As Chem1stry said above, just remember to add that Glycosidic bonds are broken, and thats the full summary

(Original post by VULGAR123)
    Can you list 5 points (bullet points) on the 5 mark questions or does it need to be a paragraph with good English?
    I think the longer question are meant to be written in continous Prose. It usually says something about this on the front of the exam paper. I'd do it in paragraphs just to be on the safe side

ReputationRep:
    DOES ANYONE HAVE THE PAST PAPER AND MARK SCHEME FOR JANUARY 2010 BIOLOGY MODULE 1??!!

it would be quite good to see it cz i thought i had done quite well :/

ReputationRep:
    I know the course, I just need to read the questions. Biology AS isn't that hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    Im going to guess chemical tests. Just because it hasn't come up as a 5 mark question yet.
    chemical tests are usually 1/2 marks. I cant imagine it being a 5 mark question. Its probably likely that its a bigger topic like immunity or enzymes. Thanks for the sugggestions guys. Oh and plasma membrane transport hasnt come up on 5 marker so thats likely!

ReputationRep:
    I am having problems understanding the B cells in immunity do they have antigens on their surfaces?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 6, 2010

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.