Turn on thread page Beta

Being called 'Anorexic' can be just as hurtful as being called 'obese' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I get this all the time. I'm 5'4, weigh 7 stone and am a size 4. Getting clothes is a pain. I'm fed up trying to explain to people that I eat a LOT.

ReputationRep:
    It has been the same for me. I'm 22, 5ft 10 or 11, 8ish stone and I'm a size 8 and have been for as long as I can remember. Technically its a healthy size really but the problem is that I'm boney. I hate it. I've tried putting weight on to cover up the bones- done the whole specially designed diet thing designed especially for me by doctors but that was just too much food and I couldn't eat it.

I'm mostly at peace with it now - I am who I am. I got called anorexic all though school - some of it as general mockery but others would always say that I had to be anorexic because I thinner than everybody else in my junior school. Then in comprehensive school people starting saying it to me like it was supposed to be a complement, which was really sickening.

My friends now and my family get it - they make more tasteful jokes and rib me over the fact that I can eat several times what they can and still not gain any weight. I'll go back for seconds at family meals and parties and BBQs whilst others are trying to figure out where I'm putting it all.

I think actually, if it is possible, that I grow up rather than out. I swear I'm still getting taller. I'm gangly, so I think it just spreads the weight out more.

I think it'll change one day. I'll just balloon out. But for now, c'est la vie, we are who we are. And I love food.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for making this thread sarah! I’m in the same position as many of you here (size 8/10, 8 stone & 5"4.5) and i dont think i know one person who hasn’t made a comment on my size. I know for a fact that im not anorexic as i have a sensible BMI, and no eating disorder, however it seems like a battle to try and convince people im not sick. I also hate the assumption that I’ve made myself this skinny by not eating as much as i should!
    My question to you all that experience this is how do you cope with people comments, because i hate to admit it but they do bother me (to the point that i hate the way i look sometimes).

On one occasion i went to a friend’s birthday party and (greedily :P) pigging out (which may i add was my way of saving the food from the bin) and a total stranger came up to me and asked said "you can’t possibly eat that much and look like that, you must be one of those people that vomits or something". What would you say in response to that comment? Such moment have knocked my confidence alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dime_piece)
    Thanks for making this thread sarah! I’m in the same position as many of you here (size 8/10, 8 stone & 5"4.5) and i dont think i know one person who hasn’t made a comment on my size. I know for a fact that im not anorexic as i have a sensible BMI, and no eating disorder, however it seems like a battle to try and convince people im not sick. I also hate the assumption that I’ve made myself this skinny by not eating as much as i should!
    My question to you all that experience this is how do you cope with people comments, because i hate to admit it but they do bother me (to the point that i hate the way i look sometimes).

On one occasion i went to a friend’s birthday party and (greedily :P) pigging out (which may i add was my way of saving the food from the bin) and a total stranger came up to me and asked said "you can’t possibly eat that much and look like that, you must be one of those people that vomits or something". What would you say in response to that comment? Such moment have knocked my confidence alot.
    What an utterly HORRIFYING thing to say to a person! I'd be hurt, like you :/ But I'd probablt get angry and say no, that I love food! Haha

ReputationRep:

Oh my god, that's absolutely disgusting. Please tell me you punched them or something? Well I used to get really upset and feel absolutely useless because I'd eat loads and not put on any weight. I was so much skinnier than everyone else, and when everyone was getting boobs, I was way behind. I used to hate my body so much for not being like everyone elses. I'm still practically flat as a board But slowly I began to love the fact that I don't ever think twice about eating. I eat what I want, when I want and I loooove food. Tbh, I think skinny girls are usually the best looking. But what I used to do when people made comments was just ignore them and walk away. I could never be bothered to dignify the "do you eat enough?" questions with an answer. Just ignore it. They're jealous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah.Rivers)
    And if I try to express to people that it upsets me, I usually get told that I'm after attention because it's 'really easy' to gain weight.
    You should tell them that if you're naturally slight that it's just as hard to put on weight as to lose it, if not harder - you can't not excercise if you try and put on weight and excercising of course burns up what we eat and you have to each more than usual, which is really difficult if you only have a small stomach.
    But if you're happy with you're weight and it's not detrimental to your health, you shouldn't have to put on weight anyway.
    They're probably all just jealous anyway, my friends always PFFT when I fit into a size 8 when I could just as easily PFFT at them for fitting into a much more ample bra, but there we are.

ReputationRep:

same thing happened to me a while ago. i LOVE food, i eat a lot, i don't know where does the food go though.
    i'm 5'5, 7.5 stone, size 6/8, and no, i have NO eating disorder. it's just the way i am. sometimes i wish i had some more curves here and there, but then again, when i look at those people who have to constanly watch what they eat and worry about the calories and stuff, i think i'm okay with the way i am now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhiannaB)
    I'm 16, 5 foot 8 and weight just under 8 stone. Get in.
    It bugs me so much that it's socially acceptable to call someone anorexic, even if that is not the case, and cardinal sin to call someone fat.
    This one time I was wearing a dress and walking past this group of girls and they all started going "Ohh, look at her legs, they're gonna snap!.....She's f/cking disgusting."
    One of them even asked me if I had a toothbrush in my pocket.
    I had to go down the nearest back alley and cry for a few minutes, it really gets to me sometimes.
    Not really that relevant but I was once a victim to a horrible fat girl who decided to target me and insult me lol. *****. I guess I'm fairly thin, some people would say underweight, so I guess she was just jealous idk... it still didn't give her the right to be horrible just because she's a tub of lard.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm getting very sick of this.

I'm 19 years old, 5ft 3, very slender (size 6), 30A bust, the rest...
    But that's the way I am, and I like it that way.

I honestly never satisfy my apetite, I love food, it's wonderful. But (only when I tell people I'm a size 6) I get asked questions about my diet, and whether I'm ok? I don't LOOK unhealthy... So why the questions?
    Someone told me the other day that men only find 'real women' sexy. And I've heard that supposed friends have called me Anorexic behind my back.

It gets me down sometimes...Like I should put weight on to become attractive ): when it's near impossible for me!
    Yeah but calling someone fat annoys them more I think. FAT, FATTY, OBESE, FLABS, MAN TITS , yeah they get on people's nerves!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carasmith)
    Oh my god, that's absolutely disgusting. Please tell me you punched them or something? Well I used to get really upset and feel absolutely useless because I'd eat loads and not put on any weight. I was so much skinnier than everyone else, and when everyone was getting boobs, I was way behind. I used to hate my body so much for not being like everyone elses. I'm still practically flat as a board But slowly I began to love the fact that I don't ever think twice about eating. I eat what I want, when I want and I loooove food. Tbh, I think skinny girls are usually the best looking. But what I used to do when people made comments was just ignore them and walk away. I could never be bothered to dignify the "do you eat enough?" questions with an answer. Just ignore it. They're jealous.
    Now that i look back at it i wish i did punch her but i was just in a state of shock! I guess i continue to ignore those type of comments but i does get me down.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame... I think it's seen as acceptable because being thin is very much widely praised in society, so it's seen as a bit less of an insult.

It isn't right, but until thinness goes out of fashion it'll still be happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    pics x
    You don't beat around the bush, do you? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I would find it worse actually

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm getting very sick of this.

I'm 19 years old, 5ft 3, very slender (size 6), 30A bust, the rest...
    But that's the way I am, and I like it that way.

I honestly never satisfy my apetite, I love food, it's wonderful. But (only when I tell people I'm a size 6) I get asked questions about my diet, and whether I'm ok? I don't LOOK unhealthy... So why the questions?
    Someone told me the other day that men only find 'real women' sexy. And I've heard that supposed friends have called me Anorexic behind my back.

It gets me down sometimes...Like I should put weight on to become attractive ): when it's near impossible for me!
    I kinda know how it feels... my ex-flatmate, managed to call me OBESE in a facebook status to the whole of our accommodation, and called my other flatmate ANOREXIC in the same status. I don't know what makes people think they have the right to judge people like that and think its funny, and good to spite people. It's hurtful.

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah, theoretically it's probably worse because one is "you've got a mental illness" and the other is just "you're fat".
    But mostly people won't mean it in a bad way, and if they do are just jealous.

The only thing to do is to make sure you eat in public and man up, 'cos people won't change, sadly. It's just ignorance on the part of people who don't really know what anorexia is, and just go by what is said in the papers about certain skinny celebrities.

Also, the view of what men like is completely ridiculous too. Men like all kinds of women (and men) so them saying you won't get attention because you're skinny is completely unfounded (as you've probably experienced in life...)

ReputationRep:
    I used to get this when I was younger, mainly cause I hated the school dinners and didn't eat much at school, therefore people thought I was anorexic. I ate like it was going out of fashion at home though (and still do), and eventually started taking sandwiches to school. Now 5ft1, size 10/12, could do a bit more exercise & be more toned & fit (& eat less chocolate & biscuits :p:) but it's not my most pressing concern at the moment.

What really annoys me is when my friends, some of whom are skinnier than me, start saying things like "I don't know whether to get a Freddo or not, because I'll put on weight". They just don't listen when you tell them they won't either.

Im 5ft 8-9, weight 10st 11 but v slender and im constantly getting comments of ''gosh you've lost weight'', ''you need to eat more'' and etc . . it gets on my nerves as I have a balanced diet, now and again I indulged in comfort food, ie biscuits, chocolate (not fast food though, yuck) and I exercise twice a week. My dad's side of family are v tall people and also v slim, so I guess it is them I take after.

ReputationRep:
    You love it

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to point out, to those of you who are using terms like "tub of lard" and "fatty", although it isn't fair that these individuals have called you names based on your weight, you are sinking down to their level by calling them names based on their weight. There really is no difference, both are as bad as each other (the name-calling, that is).

If you logged onto a forum and saw that someone who was overweight had been verbally attacked by someone who was underweight was using names like "stick insect", "anorexic" etc, you'd be outraged - and rightly so, so please try and consider that you may be hurting other people's feelings - without meaning to - when you post such horrible terms. It's bad enough that we have so many males on TSR who objectify women and behave like appearance is all that matters, we don't need all the girls *****ing about each other based on weight too.

ReputationRep:
    just ignore it, thats all you can do.
    This world sucks people (particularly the losers in this forum) need to learn that all girls come in different shapes and sizes, There are people that eat like a horse and are a skinny as a twig just as there are people that are not skinny and do not even eat that much.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.