Turn on thread page Beta

Why isn't the UK fully metric? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the UK population, particularly students on TSR, are perfectly capable of using a measurement system which involves multiplying by numbers other than 10. If you can't get your head around that, then what are you, five years old?

ReputationRep:
    I grew up in America and so was taught imperial measurements in school and didn't learn metric until I moved here. I wouldn't say its hard to use metric but its hard for me to visualise sizes or weights using metric. When people say they weigh x kg or are x cm in height that literally means nothing to me because I can't visualise it. Same with distances.

ReputationRep:
    given that we all probably ran 100m sprints at school it should be easier to visualise 1km in distance than 1m! (in theory)

ReputationRep:
    Imperial units are ridiculous and completely illogical...

For example: There are 14 pounds in a stone, A pint is 1/8th of a gallon and 1/2 an imperial quart, 12 inches in a foot and 3 feet in a yard.
    None of these numbers are round and none of them are consistent which makes it very, very hard to work with and convert between the various orders of magnitude.

However, the metric system uses round numbers and is completely consistent.
    For example: There a 1000m in a Kilometre, there are 100cm in a metre, there is 1000g in a kilogram and 1000mg in a gram and so on and so forth.

These numbers are incredibly easy to convert between, it's easy to see that 500m is half a kilometre whereas not only do I have to memorise how many of xx are in 1 xx for each imperial unit, since they're all different I then have to go and do some weird calculation that isn't involving powers of 10 in order to find out how many xx is 1/3 of xx or whatever.

Imperial units are stupid...

(Original post by Blu3j4yw4y)
    I'm sure we could use a number system to the base 19 if we wanted, but why bother making life unnecessarily difficult?
    Apparently base 10 isn't the easiest base to work in. Base 12 is meant to be the most useful due to the increased number of factors of 12 compared to 10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    Apparently base 10 isn't the easiest base to work in. Base 12 is meant to be the most useful due to the increased number of factors of 12 compared to 10.
    I prefer base 16. It's a power of 2, therefore better for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Ever been asked to pick up some milk from the supermarket... I bet you've never been told to pick up a 568ml, 1.1L, 2.2l bottle of milk?
    Milk is increasingly in litres now. I've noticed when I go to the supermarket it will be a 2 or 3 litre bottle with '3.687 pints' or something in small writing below it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mumitroldeN)
    I grew up with the metric system and I can tell you it's so much easier to calculate with. I do not understand why you keep the imperial system and lots of other relics from the past like your electorial system and driving in the wrong side of the road .
    I guess people are just conservative and do not want to change things :confused:
    Electoral system I agree, and I agree about the metric system, but it is you that drive on the wrong side of the road! Your eyes naturally look to the right, and hence it's natural to keep to the left to see oncoming traffic. About 35% of the world agree, and others did agree but changed for the reason they were surrounded by drive on the right countries. (e.g Sweden despite the fact the public disagreed with the change.)

yeah well the weird metric numbers are because you have imperial package sizes converted to metric, half a litre doesn't sound bad and it just makes way way more sense. the scientific world converted ages ago it's just stupid traditionalism to stick to imperial....

driving on left is actually safer btw..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh User)
    Milk is increasingly in litres now. I've noticed when I go to the supermarket it will be a 2 or 3 litre bottle with '3.687 pints' or something in small writing below it.
    Granted some branded milk is, Cravendale etc but supermarket brands remain combo metric imperial. From my understanding Brussels has dropped the requirement for the UK to switch fully to metric anyway. The supermarkets may willingly switch to litres so they can squeeze more profit out of customers by charging the same price for a 2l bottle as a 2.2l bottle

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2431521.ece

ReputationRep:
    I dunno ... it would make sense for everything to be metric, but also a tad more difficult temporarily because for me personally, I measure different things in different units. For example my weight I do in stone and pounds, small weights I do in grams but medium weights also in stones, small distances I do in centimetres, medium distances in metres or feet, and long distances in miles, I just have no consistency at all in how I measure things

So maybe if we were fully metric and we had to do everything in metric terms it'd make things alot easier :p: And yes as for driving on the road, we shouldn't change that though. Because think about it, if you're reading a book you read from left to right (or at least we do) and you write from left to right so it makes more sense to drive on left, because logically thats where you'd start. Plus changing would be entirely pointless as the only land border we have is with Ireland who also drive on the left :p:

ReputationRep:
    Granted some branded milk is, Cravendale etc but supermarket brands remain combo metric imperial. From my understanding Brussels has dropped the requirement for the UK to switch fully to metric anyway. The supermarkets may willingly switch to litres so they can squeeze more profit out of customers by charging the same price for a 2l bottle as a 2.2l bottle

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2431521.ece
    That story is a propaganda story. The EU never asked us to go fully metric although the EEC did in the 70s and kept putting the deadline back and then removed it entirely. All the EU wanted was dual standards in everything, so a metric measurement was provided below every imperial measurement. The UK is legally metric anyway, although that just hazes the boundaries.

RE Pints: Australia rounded up their pints to 600ml, still sold as pints when they went metric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    given that we all probably ran 100m sprints at school it should be easier to visualise 1km in distance than 1m! (in theory)
    But thats the stupidly annoying thing! I can visualise how long 100m is, 20m, 50m whatever, but when it comes to kilometres i'm absolutely useless. I can gauge pretty well how long a mile is but with kilometres ... I just can't seem to get my head around it It would have been so much easier if everything had gone metric before we were born, then i'd understand it all :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Then I'm losing 68ml out of every pint. It doesn't sound like much, but it's a good mouthful. I don't really want the quantities of my pints changed.

Besides that, asking for half a litre of ale just sounds weird. I can imagine saying kilometres per hour, 170cm for someone's height, but half a litre just doesn't work for me.
    You'd just say "I'll have a half of ale", it's only because you aren't used to it that it sounds strange.

ReputationRep:
    That story is a propaganda story. The EU never asked us to go fully metric although the EEC did in the 70s and kept putting the deadline back and then removed it entirely. All the EU wanted was dual standards in everything, so a metric measurement was provided below every imperial measurement. The UK is legally metric anyway, although that just hazes the boundaries.

RE Pints: Australia rounded up their pints to 600ml, still sold as pints when they went metric.
    The UK was being pushed into a fully metric system with no use of imperial measurements whatsoever. This metric only requirement was dropped, regardless of whatever news source provided. For all intents and purposes though, like you said the UK is legally metric.

ReputationRep:
    Cultural

ReputationRep:
    The UK was being pushed into a fully metric system with no use of imperial measurements whatsoever. This metric only requirement was dropped, regardless of whatever news source provided. For all intents and purposes though, like you said the UK is legally metric.
    These metric martyrs really get on my nerves sometimes. Is it really that hard to just offer weights both in metric and imperial? I have no opposition to people using imperial, but I wish for metric to be used alongside whether it's the minor or major measurement The EU did wish for the fully metric UK option, but they knew that wasn't going to happen a long time ago.

ReputationRep:
    These metric martyrs really get on my nerves sometimes. Is it really that hard to just offer weights both in metric and imperial? I have no opposition to people using imperial, but I wish for metric to be used alongside whether it's the minor or major measurement The EU did wish for the fully metric UK option, but they knew that wasn't going to happen a long time ago.
    Well they are legally required to show metric measurements if they use imperial measurements so no, it shouldn't be that hard for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frenchcat53)
    We kept imperial to help the older generation as they didn't like the metric system and so for a lot of people we were taught in imperial when we were children and then at school learnt metric
    Here in Ireland (the Republic) we are fully metric (except the pint down the pub, thats kept out of tradition).

What you said about metric being kept in the U.K. reminds me of the story just prior to Ireland agreeing to help form & join the €URO. A group representing the elderly in Ireland sent a letter to the Minister for Finance and An Taoiseach (Primeminister) saying they as a group they had no issues with Ireland joining the Single Currency and were as aminable to the €uro as the rest of the Irish population but would the Government consider waiting to join until after all the old people had died :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I find imperial measurements hard to use, but we were never taught them at school. Even things like my height and weight, I know in metric but imperial is just strange to me. The only imperial I do know well is speed in mph, km/h just confuses me and I end up trying to remember whether 100 km/h is more or less than 50 mph.

I think it's mainly the older generation who uses imperial now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Hes a thought why not just teach both in school then leave the system as it is, shame on foreign tourist if they arent educated enough to know how to convert

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.