Hurt Locker packs hurt on illegal filesharing Watch

Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by crazyspacemonkey)
No, it would be magic.

In the real world, downloading anything you haven't paid for is stealing. Someone has copied it and is illegally distributing it. I can't fathom why you would think it wasn't.
Well legally speaking it isn't theft, it's copyright infringement. The fact that you are making a copy and not depriving the owner of anything means there is a distinction in the law.
crazyspacemonkey
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Well legally speaking it isn't theft, it's copyright infringement. The fact that you are making a copy and not depriving the owner of anything means there is a distinction in the law.
Very well then, I'm not here to debate semantics. Copyright infringement is illegal either way. Personally I consider it stealing (legal definitions aside) because you are taking away revenue from those involved in it's production. The fact that you wouldn't have watched it otherwise is no excuse, you simply just shouldn't watch it if that's the case.
Mazty
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The thief loses out, that's who.

And as far as why it isn't ok to steal it, it's because it is stealing. The explanation is quite clear I'd have thought.
It's not stealing, it's like watching a film at a friends, or borrowing a dvd.
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Very well then, I'm not here to debate semantics. Copyright infringement is illegal either way. Personally I consider it stealing (legal definitions aside) because you are taking away revenue from those involved in it's production. The fact that you wouldn't have watched it otherwise is no excuse, you simply just shouldn't watch it if that's the case.
I agree completely. I'm not trying to argue that it's ok, I'm just saying that it's not theft according to the law.
InvoluntarySlacker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have obtained this film in ***** ways. :ninja:

Catch me if you can though. Will be kinda hard.
Mad Vlad
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ewan)
Somehow I think all this proposed legislation is going to blow up in the faces of the politicians and industry leaders who proposed it. The law is so heavily biased at the moment it's insane. Linking illegal activity to an IP address simply isn't enough proof to convict in my opinion.
Especially when the cretins writing the legislation thought that the term IP address stood for "Intellectual Property" address. :facepalm:

It's far too heavily biased towards the interests of the stakeholder organisations and has no consideration for the flagrant curtailing of one of the most traditional and fundamental rights in a "free" society - the notion of presumed innocence.
iainthegreat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by G8D)
Get repping, *****

:p:
Will have to wait for 53 minutes, already sent out my reppage for today...*****
I HEART KFC!!!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
its kind of stupid.... i mean the producers themselves stole the story of someone and now they are getting sued for it hahaha. ***** will never ever catch me... ever!!!
DaAlchemist
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
No, it would be a defence if he hadn't incriminated himself. In this country it has to be proven that you personally committed the crime. It would be like if you left your car unlocked, someone stole your car and then got a speeding ticket, would you have to pay that speeding ticket? No, you wouldn't. Same goes for wireless connections.
True, but the defence of "OpenWiFi" won't always work. It was used in a case down in the US but it didn't pass.
It was however used in the EU and worked, twice. It's hazy though, kind of depends on the case facts.

You'd need a very, very solid defence for it to work.
Some ISPs make you accountible for any activity on your network as well.

(Original post by moneyballs2)
I think I'm pretty safe, plus, my wifi will inconvieniently be set to unsecured should they come looking for me. "OH NOES! Those darn hax0rs!"
I know your a legal downloader but most routers keep logs of changes and which device made them. If you do something illegal and set your network to unsecure, they'd probably see someone changed the permissions if they take your router. Then that's another battle on your hands.

I don't understand why there was so much hype surrounding this movie to be honest and I'm not a fan of illegal downloading either, but what they're trying to do is a lost cause. This and The Digital Economy Bill or whatever it's called is just going to make everything worse in the end. The sooner they realise, the better.
Psyk
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by DaAlchemist)
True, but the defence of "OpenWiFi" won't always work. It was used in a case down in the US but it didn't pass.
It was however used in the EU and worked, twice. It's hazy though, kind of depends on the case facts.

You'd need a very, very solid defence for it to work.
Some ISPs make you accountible for any activity on your network as well.
It's kind of a separate issue if your ISP makes you accountable. That probably just means they can cut off your connection if someone uses your network to break their T&Cs. Doesn't make you legally accountable for copyright infringement on your network.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by moneyballs2)
Private Torrent Tracker >> Seedbox >via FTP> My PC

I think I'm pretty safe, plus, my wifi will inconvieniently be set to unsecured should they come looking for me. "OH NOES! Those darn hax0rs!"

Not that I don't anything illegally, I'm part of private trackers sharing copyright free stuff...
Surely setting your wireless to WEP would be better? WEP is easily cracked. I managed to do it with a test network within a few hours (passively).
moneyballs2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
Surely setting your wireless to WEP would be better? WEP is easily cracked. I managed to do it with a test network within a few hours (passively).
It is actually already on WEP with a worded password... So much easier to tell visitors a word to use as a password than a bazillion random letters
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1628)
78.91%
Leave (435)
21.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise