Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaM)
    This is true, but I think people with a BMI under 28ish have nothing to worry about - they don't tend to look overweight at all. In fact, some reckon the boundaries have been drawn wrong.

Just there were soooo many 16s ... :eek3:
    That's just rubbish sorry. BMI is very very poor at judging someone's correct weight/fitness/ what looks good as it does not take into account muscle or the person's build. Unless some one is muscular or extremely broad, a bmi over 23 is to much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    That's just rubbish sorry. BMI is very very poor at judging someone's correct weight/fitness/ what looks good as it does not take into account muscle or the person's build. Unless some one is muscular or extremely broad, a bmi over 23 is to much.
    How is over 23 too much? The boundaries have currently been set at 25 for the normal weight limit. Aside from which, some research has been done to suggest that those in the "Overweight" category tend to live the longest. OK, that may comprise of those with a high muscle density, and hence very good fitness, but since it was a study of just your common, everyday person, I doubt that hit the average too much.

I'm just very glad that I work out enough to have muscle mass.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaM)
    How is over 23 too much? The boundaries have currently been set at 25 for the normal weight limit. Aside from which, some research has been done to suggest that those in the "Overweight" category tend to live the longest. OK, that may comprise of those with a high muscle density, and hence very good fitness, but since it was a study of just your common, everyday person, I doubt that hit the average too much.

I'm just very glad that I work out enough to have muscle mass.
    If you have very little muscle mass and most of your weight comes from fat, you could still be classed as 'normal' weight with the bmi system, even though you would be very unfit, unhealthy, and unattractive. I do not know of any girl who is 23 or above and is fit. Of course there will be some girls out there who are, but they are the ones with 6-packs and biceps bigger then their breasts

ReputationRep:
    If you have very little muscle mass and most of your weight comes from fat, you could still be classed as 'normal' weight with the bmi system, even though you would be very unfit, unhealthy, and unattractive. I do not know of any girl who is 23 or above and is fit. Of course there will be some girls out there who are, but they are the ones with 6-packs and biceps bigger then their breasts
    You don't have to have a 6-pack or huge biceps to be fit at a BMI of 23. For females, the fit/lean range of body fat is approx 18%-24% and at a BMI of 23 I was at the top of this range.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. It's just an opinion, at the end of the day. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    18.6 - I'm 8 1/2 stone and 5 '7
    but its not exact anyway because it depends what type of body you have.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like all the fatties are staying away from this thread...

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few people have a BMI supposedly under 17.5 on here...you guys know thats a major diagnostic criterion for anorexia right?

ReputationRep:
    22/23 - i'm 5ft 7 - I wear a size 10, i just have a big ass

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by graemematt)
    Quite a few people have a BMI supposedly under 17.5 on here...you guys know thats a major diagnostic criterion for anorexia right?
    I seriously doubt all those people are telling the truth.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.