"Bomb, bomb Iran" Watch

Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Suetonius)
No one needs to twist anyone's words. Iran wants Israel out of the picture and funds terrorist groups to that end. There's not even an argument to be had.
Indeed, Iran wants Israel to disappear and vice-versa, but it's hardly the first country to have funded terrorist organisations. The Americans, British and Soviets have all done the same thing, yet you haven't mentioned them.

For the record I don't believe Iran should be allowed to develop and acquire nuclear weapons.
Komakino
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Stalin)
http://blogs.aljazeera.net/americas/...oes-mainstream

With a new set of sanctions imposed by the EU today and the warmongersRepublicans wishing to turn it into a giant crater, things aren't looking promising.
This is a mess. If the US or Israel attack then Obama can kiss his attempt to rebuild relations with the Middle East goodbye.
Any sort of attack would probably be ineffective anyway, for we've already discovered that Iran has buried at least one nuclear facility, there are likely more. I personally don't think an attack is imminent.
Suetonius
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Indeed, Iran wants Israel to disappear and vice-versa, but it's hardly the first country to have funded terrorist organisations. The Americans, British and Soviets have all done the same thing, yet you haven't mentioned them.
That's because the "Americans, British and Soviets" funding terrorist organisations is completely irrelevant to the issue of Iran doing so. It adds absolutely no weight to your argument, and by no means diminishes mine.
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
That's because the "Americans, British and Soviets" funding terrorist organisations is completely irrelevant to the issue of Iran doing so. It adds absolutely no weight to your argument, and by no means diminishes mine.
You're trying to tell me that funding terrorists is a bad thing, if so, why haven't you mentioned the fact that America, Britain and the Soviet Union have all funded terrorists and why haven't you lambasted them for it?
Suetonius
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're trying to tell me that funding terrorists is a bad thing, if so, why haven't you mentioned the fact that America, Britain and the Soviet Union have all funded terrorists and why haven't you lambasted them for it?
Because I never brought them up in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if every state on earth is responsible for funding terrorists, but I don't say "every state on earth has funded terrorists, therefore what Iran is doing is understandable". And, as it happens, my original argument was not "funding terrorists is a bad thing" (although I do agree with that principle). My original argument was that Iran's funding and arming of Hamas and Hezbollah is an indicator to their intentions of wanting Israel out of the picture. Why on earth are you changing the subject by saying: "well, America, Britain and the USSR do that too"? It's a complete non sequitur.
Disorder
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
Because I never brought them up in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if every state on earth is responsible for funding terrorists, but I don't say "every state on earth has funded terrorists, therefore what Iran is doing is understandable". And, as it happens, my original argument was not "funding terrorists is a bad thing" (although I do agree with that principle). My original argument was that Iran's funding and arming of Hamas and Hezbollah is an indicator to their intentions of wanting Israel out of the picture. Why on earth are you changing the subject by saying: "well, America, Britain and the USSR do that too"? It's a complete non sequitur.
This has to be the lamest argument I have ever seen....Stalin got a point there....you argue because Iran funds terrorists they want Israel out of the picture. What about the US they funded the taliban (terrorists) to get the Russians out of Afghanistan. Same intentions.

Israel isnt openly seeking peace with other countries their only friend and ally is the US, but then you would have to understand this concept which is beyond your frame of reference...gonna leave it at that!.
the_educated1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

Lets be realistic here, at the end of the day a dynamic government has the individual liberty to declare a military operation against an aggressive power that is deemed a threat to the safety of its citizens.
This has always been the case, regardless of international opinion.

America's consent to an Israeli military operation is therefore unnecessary and irrelevant to the Israeli or Iranian governments.
Meus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't understand why Israel is allowed to have nuclear weapons and its neighbours are not.
Suetonius
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Disorder)
This has to be the lamest argument I have ever seen....Stalin got a point there....you argue because Iran funds terrorists they want Israel out of the picture. What about the US they funded the taliban (terrorists) to get the Russians out of Afghanistan. Same intentions.
It's not a "lame argument", sir. I'd ask you what point I've made above would even require my referring to the U.S. funding the mujahadeen? It's completely irrelevent to the point I was making. Stalin could've said "The Republic of Ireland funded the IRA to wipe 'Northern Ireland' off the map", he could've said "China fund Taiwanese dissidents in order to incorporate Taiwan into the PRC" etc. All of them are completely irrelevent to the question of whether Iran is doing so. I had absolutely no reason to bring them up. And you still haven't made a case as to why I should. You've only said that I didn't.

Israel isnt openly seeking peace with other countries their only friend and ally is the US, but then you would have to understand this concept which is beyond your frame of reference...gonna leave it at that!.
Israel and the U.S. had peace on the table in Camp David in 2000 and you should know as well as anybody that Arafat turned it down. Israel had peace on the table in 1948 when an Arab and Jewish state was available to both; the Arab states go and invade. Israel is surrounded by states which fund terrorist groups that proceed to murder its civilians (and when walls and blockades are set up for protection, it's seen as a complete abomination by the pro-Palestine circus, despite the fact that any country on earth would have to resort to such measures).
maljebo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I..
when do you get paid?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (3)
50%
No - I got the required grades (2)
33.33%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
16.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed