bullied for my degree course Watch

This discussion is closed.
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bloomblaze)
If degrees like film studies and media studies are so completely unrespectable in society, you'd wonder:

* why people want to do them
* why unis still offer these subjects

A certain individual who is 60 years old told me these types of subjects were created/promoted/popularised by the gov/universities in order to get more people to go to uni (ie targeting people who arent capable of doing a traditional degree subject) so that gov figures go up eg tony blair or someone once set a taget of 50% of school leavers to go to uni-this figure would be unacheivable if mickey mouse/soft degrees hadnt been made available or promoted
1st question = because they like it? :dontknow:
2nd questions = I presume because of targets/funding.

But I really do not know!
I Love Dog
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by explosions hurt)
Don't worry, you'll have the last laugh when you are unemployed in 3 years time with £20k debt.
:p:
im so academic
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
Well no, but then again only two unis are exactly Oxbridge.

What's wrong with ex-polys specifically?
Dare I say it, they're not "proper" universities.

They aren't the top London unis like UCL, Imperial, LSE + other really good universities such as Durham, Edinburgh, Britsol etc etc.

And it's usually the ex-polys that attracts students of a less academic ability + offer the "doss" courses.
ap3456
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
A certain individual who is 60 years old told me these types of subjects were created/promoted/popularised by the gov/universities in order to get more people to go to uni (ie targeting people who arent capable of doing a traditional degree subject) so that gov figures go up eg tony blair or someone once set a taget of 50% of school leavers to go to uni-this figure would be unacheivable if mickey mouse/soft degrees hadnt been made available or promoted
Indeed. The sad thing is that apart from the OP (obviously a troll) there are actually many people who are led to believe that a degree in media is equivalent to one in a serious subject.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by im so academic)
Dare I say it, they're not "proper" universities.

They aren't the top London unis like UCL, Imperial, LSE + other really good universities such as Durham, Edinburgh, Britsol etc etc.

And it's usually the ex-polys that attracts students of a less academic ability + offer the "doss" courses.
Would you say there's no worth in them whatsoever, or do ex-polys have their merits as well as their bad points?
Thecowswantitback
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
If degrees like film studies and media studies are so completely unrespectable in society, you'd wonder:

* why people want to do them
* why unis still offer these subjects

Uni's still offer these subjects because the government are obsessed with trying to get EVERYONE to uni, therefore have to offer useless and easy degrees.

A degree like film studies is not worth £20,000 debt. You sit and watch films all day and talk about what they're about...
Film is something you do through experience, apprenteships or getting involved low down in a Film or Media company and building up your CV.

And plus, if you look at the types of Uni's that actually offer these useless degrees, they are usually, useless Uni's probably not in sight of the top 50.
Thecowswantitback
Report 8 years ago
Would you say there's no worth in them whatsoever, or do ex-polys have their merits as well as their bad points?

The thing is these Uni's tend to offer entry requirements equal to that of 3 D's or something crazy.
If you need 3 D's to get into Uni, you shouldn't be going to Uni.
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My friend said basically that because I am starting a film and television studies course in september that i shouldn't even be going to uni becose its not a proper degree.

She thinks she is better becose she is doing a maths degree. well i don't agree with this because film studies is a demanding degree and there is lots of demand for this degree. Anyway just needed to vent becose i worked so hard to get into this cource, people need to get real and realise that any degree is worth the same is each other.
Bahahahaha.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Thecowswantitback)
The thing is these Uni's tend to offer entry requirements equal to that of 3 D's or something crazy.
If you need 3 D's to get into Uni, you shouldn't be going to Uni.
What's your opinion of a proper course at an ex-poly? For example, something like pharmacy.
im so academic
Report 8 years ago
The former.

Frankly, in my opinion, it would be better if all the ex-polys were to closed down really.

University should be academic first and foremost. I wouldn't call ex-polys academic, no matter how much they sugar coat it really to be seen as these "fine institutions of academia and education".
Redreynard
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
the best degrees are academic, the subjects you study at school: maths, physics, geography, history - and also some would say the social sciences: pyschology, anthropology. vocational courses are good too. but not really what a university should be about.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The former.

Frankly, in my opinion, it would be better if all the ex-polys were to closed down really.

University should be academic first and foremost. I wouldn't call ex-polys academic, no matter how much they sugar coat it really to be seen as these "fine institutions of academia and education".
I find this very interesting. Let me ask you, what would you make of the decision of someone to reject a uni like LSE in favour of an ex-poly?
StarOfGerrad
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ap3456)
Spend three years studying something that will be of zero use?
The person with the degree is more important that the degree.

You can't possibly know how useful a degree will be to everybody taking it having a degree in anything is better than nothing and if you know what you want to do with your life and are studying to that end its very unlikely you'll have wasted your time.
Sex Panther
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
Thanks, OP. Your frankly pathetic attempt at trolling has brought out opinions of utter cows like im so academic who barely know the value of dedication to a subject.
My brother sees the ex-poly route as the only way through uni, and here is TSR ripping into him.

I'm doing a degree because I enjoy it. Not because I want to do something I hate purely to put my head up an employer's arse.
Your sentiment is right, and your motivation is admirable: more people should do degrees because of a love for the subject. However, the attitude is a touch naive.

Someone just quoted Labour's aim of 50% of school leavers entering Uni. The simple fact is, we're discovering very quickly that the job market just can't support the huge numbers of very qualified graduates the system is producing - and something has to give. In a disproportionate amount of cases it's the film and media graduates that are struggling the most. The issue is, huge numbers of people want to work within media, so the media graduates are competing against the very best people with 'more serious' arts degrees from top universities with work experience and, probably, friends/family within the industry, as well as people in the same position as them. And when they can't get a foot in the door, they're competing against people with strong analytical arts and science degrees for more generic roles, and employers just won't look at them.

There are the general '2:2 and above' graduate schemes that they'll be qualified to enter, but unless these schemes are entirely CV-blind - which very few are - I'm not convinced they'll get looked at here either. I'm interviewing next week for a position as a recruitment manager with a small consultancy firm, and having read up on what they require for their consultant positions, they state 'an analytical degree in a serious discipline.' Now, if I get the job, I'm sorry to say that if I have two CVs in front of me, and one is a 2:2 in maths and the other a first in film, it's much more likely the film CV is going to end up in the 'No' pile....
bloomblaze
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ap3456)
Indeed. The sad thing is that apart from the OP (obviously a troll) there are actually many people who are led to believe that a degree in media is equivalent to one in a serious subject.
Yes, there are many people in uk who think like to op even though the op is a troll.
I dont know whether its the fault of the person for pursueing the soft subject or the fault of the gov/unis/schools for promoting soft subjects (as far as i know, staff in school or uni and also career advisors arent actually allowed to **** off soft subjects even if it is the truth. If im right in thinking that, its a disservice to students)
StarOfGerrad
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The former.

University should be academic first and foremost. .
As the opposite of academic is vocational we would train our doctors, engineers, chemists, biologists, physicists where exactly?
amiejade-x
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
the tsr uni snobs are out in force this morning :rolleyes:

not everyone has to or wants to do maths, physics, law etc

if someone wants to better their life by going to uni and experiencing the uni life, then let them

people still get first class degrees from all unis, yeah maybe not as many, but just because you don't go to oxbridge doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have a chance to suceed in whatever course you are doing.

you still need people to do the arts subjects otherwise there will be a shortage of graduates in this field of work and if people prefer arts subjects, then let them do it!

yeah, op might be a troll, but my point still stands
bloomblaze
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by amiejade-x)

if someone wants to better their life by going to uni and experiencing the uni life, then let them

people still get first class degrees from all unis, yeah maybe not as many, but just because you don't go to oxbridge doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have a chance to suceed in whatever course you are doing.

you still need people to do the arts subjects otherwise there will be a shortage of graduates in this field of work and if people prefer arts subjects, then let them do it!

True.

Although the arts subjects arent being criticised- non traditional subjects/mickey mouse subjects/soft subjects or whatever you want to call them are whats being criticised- film studies being the target originally.

You said 'you still need people to do the arts subjects otherwise there'll be a shortage...'

yeah, true for arts subjects, but not true for soft subjects (do we need people to do soft subjects to avoid a shortage in those lines of work???).

But yeah, your right, some people or many people on tsr give the impression everyone should study maths /physics etc which is wrong
Jessaay!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
have you ever tried to watch three films a day for a degree? and then lay out the plots and comment on the film? no didnt think so.
Aw man I realise you are trolling, but I wish I could do this for my degree.
lightburns
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by amiejade-x)

True, they should be able to do them, but as long as they don't have false hopes. A maths degree is going to be worth more than their soft subject degree. It doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to follow their soft subject if they want to though.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (200)
18.76%
No (648)
60.79%
Not really bothered about them (218)
20.45%

Watched Threads