Well done tories for this cut... Watch

vander Beth
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This decision didn't make any sense and the people who think this is a win for cuts because are wrong because the lottery funding for whatever 'crappy' film you philistines don't like hasn't been cut, only the UKFC. If they wanted to make important cuts in line with everything else, they would have cut the industry's funding. The kept it and instead axed the people who have done a very sound job of investing it, much better than the BFI ever did. The only people who were happy were some whiney independent film makers because the UKFC has mostly been accused of building up the film industry, not funding middle class twaddle. If they for some reason wanted to go the independent route, you would wonder why they would support that instead of the industry, not in line with cut, cut, cut, is it?
Steiss
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by AidanLunn)
they are if you accept that not all good films have to include someone with an American accent, perfect bodies, and unrealistic "realistic" plots (yeah, LOADS of cars exoplode when they roll over in action films!)

You need to see more movies directed by Shane Meadows beyond This is Britain.
I don't remember stipulating a preference for any accent, body type or plot. What's your point?
YoullFindMeFilming
Report 8 years ago
I don't think that insulting others is a good idea to get your point across.

That will just start an argument rather than continue with a civilised debate.
Believe me, I have tried to get through to people but it appears there are some who will never understand the importance of film in our society.
YoullFindMeFilming
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by foxo)
Cheers, a few decent films there (although Nowhere Boy was absolutely dreadful!). Also, does the council issue grants and the government theoretically receives money back through taxation, or are they investments that must only be paid back if the film is successful?
This should help.

http://www.ukfilmcouncil.org.uk/
AidanLunn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by YoullFindMeFilming)
Believe me, I have tried to get through to people but it appears there are some who will never understand the importance of film in our society.
They're ignorant. Ignore them.
AidanLunn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Steiss)
I don't remember stipulating a preference for any accent, body type or plot. What's your point?
I suppose my point is that you should look beyond whatever British film gave you that impression.
SHABANA
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They should make cuts like not giving so many benefits to under-age parents.
You Forget It In People
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by YoullFindMeFilming)
But it does. Films need investment of some sort - not all films have the financing right away, but those that are truly great usually pay it back through the box office. There was £5 for every £1 invested in films through the UK Film Council last year. That speaks for itself.
I'm sorry that you have lost faith in the industry, but there is so much out there. Just take a step away from mainstream and try something new, you'll be surprised how much is out there.

When seeing this I was wondering how much money it took in compared to spent as I think it was some art galleries that take in £2 to every £1 and was hoping to be treated with exception. I don't really know enough knowledge about the effect of this Film Council (or if anything will be put in its place) or enough knowledge in economics to say whether it was a good move or not, but, while we don't have a massive film industry (in comparison to the likes of the U.S.), I'm guessing it's still quite a big export for the UK.
AidanLunn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SHABANA)
They should make cuts like not giving so many benefits to under-age parents.
Agreed.
menagerie
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's not like they have to make one cut and this is it for God's sake. There are cuts everywhere. I think the cuts to the Building Schools for the Future programme are far, far worse. Hundreds of thousands of pounds have already been spent on half-designed schools, not to mention months of work, and projects are literally being stopped in their tracks. People are just stopping their work on them in the hope they'll be started up again. I like the British cinema industry, but other things are more important.
welshmun
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is quite bad for the british film industry but it doesn't mean the british film industry is finished. It just means less british films are going to made each year.

Something I think we can all cope with and i'm sure less films are going to made each year throughout the entire world; the effects of the recession.
AidanLunn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by You Forget It In People)
I'm guessing it's still quite a big export for the UK.
I don't think it is.

It's difficult enough to get mainstrem UK cinemas to show these films let alone foreign ones.
Steiss
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I suppose my point is that you should look beyond whatever British film gave you that impression.
What makes you think it was one film? My senses have been assaulted more than once by Brit flicks. Would you rather we cut education budgets? Perhaps Meeja Studies is next.
AidanLunn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Steiss)
What makes you think it was one film? My senses have been assaulted more than once by Brit flicks. Would you rather we cut education budgets? Perhaps Meeja Studies is next.
The tories aren't actually cutting it, they're cutting education budgets to spend more on a new education system.

Not properly cutting it is it?

I didn't mean literally *one* film.

PS, Don't mention media studies as i'm not doing that. I'm doing a production course, hardly studying the media, more producing it.
SHABANA
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by menagerie)
It's not like they have to make one cut and this is it for God's sake. There are cuts everywhere. I think the cuts to the Building Schools for the Future programme are far, far worse. Hundreds of thousands of pounds have already been spent on half-designed schools, not to mention months of work, and projects are literally being stopped in their tracks. People are just stopping their work on them in the hope they'll be started up again. I like the British cinema industry, but other things are more important.
I know this is only one example, but they made a brand new building for my old high school and it wasn't worth it because it is a failing school so what a waste of money. Also, my old primary school was ace and they knocked it down and made a new one which looks like a bloody nightclub.
AidanLunn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SHABANA)
I know this is only one example, but they made a brand new building for my old high school and it wasn't worth it because it is a failing school so what a waste of money. Also, my old primary school was ace and they knocked it down and made a new one which looks like a bloody nightclub.
Don't you think we are beginning to take this a little off topic?

If you want to discuss the education cuts go and discuss it in the relevant thread.
You Forget It In People
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think it is.

It's difficult enough to get mainstrem UK cinemas to show these films let alone foreign ones.
Yes, maybe not, but I thought the arts was our biggest export (this may not be correct) and I thought our films would have got a fair share of this, with films like Hot Fuzz doing well. Also seems like the British Film industry has been doing well recently and could be good for the future. (I say seems like; I don't have any stats or have much of an idea of how it has been in the past, so this could just be my age showing, as I won't remember what it was like 15/20 years ago.)
J1812
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, maybe not, but I thought the arts was our biggest export (this may not be correct) and I thought our films would have got a fair share of this, with films like Hot Fuzz doing well. Also seems like the British Film industry has been doing well recently and could be good for the future. (I say seems like; I don't have any stats or have much of an idea of how it has been in the past, so this could just be my age showing, as I won't remember what it was like 15/20 years ago.)
I doubted that since I believe the top two are at least guns and chemicals.

I googled it and got that, a long with machinery, plastics, services (e.g. banking and finance) and finally music and entertainment:

Britain is responsible for some of the worlds biggest Entertainment Exports in history,a few over the last 10yrs include Simon Cowel with Pop Idol -X factor - Britains Got Talent Franchises wich are sold to most countries in the world to have there own versions.
Of course Simon Cowell is hardly government-made so I don't think that supports the IFC. Though of course we need more examples.
AidanLunn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In this country, TV far outweighs our film industry.

Most of the arts exported from this country consist of TV material, with very little film.

In the US, it's more or less split 50/50 between films and TV.

The British film industry has picked up, I agree, but is still a long way off from the success rates of films from our Hollywood cousins. Had it been given a few more years, I would think that the British film industry may be in better health to survive without the UKFC if they really wanted to scrap it. Right now is not the right time to scrap it without it kicking up a fuss.

I now know from a friend that the actual closing down of the UKFC will take place in a few years time, though.

Music is a big one as well, I forgot about that!
You Forget It In People
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by J1812)
I doubted that since I believe the top two are at least guns and chemicals.

I googled it and got that, a long with machinery, plastics, services (e.g. banking and finance) and finally music and entertainment:

Of course Simon Cowell is hardly government-made so I don't think that supports the IFC. Though of course we need more examples.

Ah, cheers. As I said I wasn't sure if it was correct and haven't checked it at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (33)
97.06%
No (1)
2.94%

Watched Threads