Florida Church plans "Burn a Qu'ran" day on 9/11/2010 Watch

This discussion is closed.
MJlover
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
They are free to do this, just as I am free to burn the Bible or any of the Harry Potter books. Freedom of expression and all.
No-one is asking you to question the law allowing it. Though this is generally wrong and inciting hatred.

I'm am by law allowed to burn your baby photos but I think thats disrespectful to do it.
Karl-fresher2be
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
well i do apologise if im not speaking proper england hahaha u goon shutup im not in an english lesson therefore I dont need to spell correctly now go rub your weener on a cheese grater be most action you've had in a while i bet .. nob
Srxjer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh noes. :sigh:
bunty64
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Splodger)
I suppose you could say it would be standing up to Islam, But because goverment seem to find "Islam" a touchy topic along with the public it wouldn't work as if people would be scared of being branded racists if they were to question it's existence in a western country.
I think because large parts of america are still roooted fervently in their christian beliefs, they have this "I don't care" attitude when questioning islam and they have more courage to address the issues surrounding islam.

The fact that britian has moved away from the christian religion and essentially become liberals means that they won't question islam.... at the same time, the numbers of muslims seem to be increasing and becoming more popular, so I can see where that sense of "islamification" comes from.

you can only questoin the existence of islam in this country in the absence of various law which we have in place allowing freedom and religion/belief etc...

but that is a whole other thread..
SirRamAlot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Karl-fresher2be)
well i do apologise if im not speaking proper england hahaha u goon shutup im not in an english lesson therefore I dont need to spell correctly now go rub your weener on a cheese grater be most action you've had in a while i bet .. nob
LOL who was that to?
Folderol
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Elephant.)
Sorry, I meant religious hatred. When is inciting religious hatred, in your eyes, too much, if ever?
When it causes perceivable harm - distinct from offence. Can I just ask, do you think the Danish cartoons of Mohammed incited hatred?

(Original post by Sakujo)
Can I burn you?

Spoiler:
Show
:awesome:
:awesome:

(Original post by Sk1lLz)
This is not right. Irregardless of anybody's belief, nationality, ethnic origin (and etc), people should still be respected. Respecting others is the only way to gain peace.
I think you should respect people in general, sure but whether we curtail individual freedom to that end is not something I am willing to promote. People should have the right to do as they please so long as they do not harm anybody. And before someone calls me up on the definition of "harm" - Read J.S Mill's 'On Liberty'
Margaret Thatcher
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MJlover)
I'm am by law allowed to burn your baby photos but I think thats disrespectful to do it.
Actually, you aren't. You would have to steal them to be able to burn them.
Karl-fresher2be
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SirRamAlot)
LOL who was that to?
Phantom **** head giving me a lecture on english lol
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MJlover)
Where does it command people in the bible to burn books?
Nah I'm pretty sure Saul burnt down the Library of Alexandria when he was still vexed with David. :erm:
adam_zed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
im not saying this is a good idea but they come to our country drive about in posh cars, get benefits and moan about us being racist.. were not allowed pirmary songs such as bla bla BLACK sheep had to remove the name of blackboards (this could go on and on..) imagine if we went there country and tried to build a church not a chance !!
surely no-one can actually be this retarded?! the article regards Islam not black people?! And Pakistan, an Islamic country, houses many churches, ironically many are larger and more beautiful then our own!

(Original post by Genocidal)
Hardly a shock. I mean seriously look at this guy. He just screams religious nutcase.

But seriously this will just cause even more religious tension and you can already tell there will be retaliation. I'm just waiting for "burn a bible day" now.
That guy looks like Fritzl's Dad. This doesnt exactly fight against the southern state's reputation as predominantly stupid.
MJlover
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
Actually, you aren't. You would have to steal them to be able to burn them.
what if you invited me to take a look?
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Folderol)
As long as they don't steal the Qurans, I really don't see a problem with this. Is it disrespectful? Yes but that isnt a reason to stop it. I would equally support the right of people to burn Bibles and Torahs or British or American flags.
You do know people would kill for this ? Would you still support it ? I doubt it, when your own life is at risk.
adam_zed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ofcourse its related u dope they do alot worse than us burning a book ..
Open a History book. Christians, through the ages, have done a lot worse then kill a couple of thousand people. Cultures have been systematically destroyed and people burnt just to spread "the message of Christianity". Now pipe down and stop being so ignorant.
MJlover
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by + polarity -)
Nah I'm pretty sure Saul burnt down the Library of Alexandria when he was still vexed with David. :erm:
errr....righty then.
dolphin123
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
wow...thats so retarded :woo:
Karl-fresher2be
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by adam_zed)
surely no-one can actually be this retarded?! the article regards Islam not black people?! And Pakistan, an Islamic country, houses many churches, ironically many are larger and more beautiful then our own!

That guy looks like Fritzl's Dad. This doesnt exactly fight against the southern state's reputation as predominantly stupid.
get bent your obviously sleeping with asians stop sticking up for them
Folderol
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Guvnor)
You do know people would kill for this ? Would you still support it ? I doubt it, when your own life is at risk.
People would also kill for the Danish cartoons. Would you curtail the freedom of speech then as well?
joy12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is disgusting!

What appalls me most is the CHURCH is organizing such an event!

What about preaching love? It is preaching hatred.

Florida Church has just hit a new LOW!
Broderss
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
On 9/11?

Trust American Christians to think the attack on the WTC was because of Muslims, not a terrorist organisation who happened to be Muslim. This is the reason they are burning a quran; 9/11.
Guvnor
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Folderol)
People would also kill for the Danish cartoons. Would you curtail the freedom of speech then as well?
There is no freedom of speech when you start to incite hatred. In the States they have it but not here, we have freedom of expression here.

Anyway your evading my question, would you still support it if you know you could be killed for it ? I highly doubt it none of you would and thats the truth.

This is the exact kind of things that extremists need and morons like you come along and I say I support it, its freedom of ones rights and speech and all the other rubbish that goes alongside it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.61%
No (553)
60.9%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.48%

Watched Threads