Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR in a Reasonably Priced Car (GT5) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I tried unlocking the Top Gear track today, but only managed silver with 3rd place. I may be able to get gold and unlock the track, but it'll take some getting through. Those VW vans are a pile of crap. Anyone got some tips on how to get gold in that VW van race? I can't race in slow cars lol.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1Addict)
    I tried unlocking the Top Gear track today, but only managed silver with 3rd place. I may be able to get gold and unlock the track, but it'll take some getting through. Those VW vans are a pile of crap. Anyone got some tips on how to get gold in that VW van race? I can't race in slow cars lol.
    Make sure you get in to every slip stream available. Break late too. And just drive as aggressively as possible.

The first corner, break for a split second just to avoid going over the apex and getting a DQ, you may even get away with taking a car here, making later corners a lot easier. Then you an drive flat out through the cones; you should take 2 cars here. The next corner requires a little breaking but not too much; probably taking another 2 cars, then flat out until the hammerhead; be careful, as a light brown looking van will try and knock you off the track, take a line as far to the right of the track as possible, almost touching the grass, break about halfway down the red racing line, taking another 2, but maybe only one, and keep a little acceleration around the corners to make it round quickly enough, where you should take another car or 2, ensuring you don't basically come to a stop. Then flat out through the follow through, again taking the slip stream where possible.

By now you should be in 4th or 5th, but only a second or two behind the lead. At the last corner you should be able to get in to 2nd or 3rd as the AI brakes a lot. Then repeat this process and you will take gold. You should end up taking the lead at the 3rd corner, or there abouts.

Just so you know too, I worked out that essentially, if you are approaching the hammerhead and are sub 7 second behind the lead then you are good to get gold. If you are above 7 then you likely won't get it. Should save 4 minutes of your time.

ReputationRep:
    Has this game come out yet? It seems like years since GT4

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5UCY2SW-Wc

That may help...

Tbh, i struggled a hell of a load and when i did unlock it it was a do or die move on the last corner from a mile behind that ended up with me winning by 0.034 seconds or something...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys. Managed to unlock it finally. I had the pace in the VW, but i think i just had to put it together for a couple of laps.
    Best Lap: 1:29.348
    No aids except ABS on 1, using a controller. Comfort (Soft) tyres - these a default.

Proof:

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help guys. Managed to unlock it finally. I had the pace in the VW, but i think i just had to put it together for a couple of laps.
    Best Lap: 1:29.348
    No aids except ABS on 1, using a controller. Comfort (Soft) tyres - these a default.

Proof:
    :woo:
    Nice one! Upping the competition. I like it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    1: 32: 058

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    1: 32: 058

Classic leaving it till the last few minutes to enter the contest...

I don't get to pick the car for next week now though...

What car we going to use then?
    (You came last so you get to choose)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Classic leaving it till the last few minutes to enter the contest...

I don't get to pick the car for next week now though...

What car we going to use then?
    (You came last so you get to choose)
    Haha. Thanks for the confirmation.

Yeah, I didn't have an opportunity really to do it until today, had a few assignments etc this week. Will take a look through the options and pick from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    Haha. Thanks for the confirmation.

Yeah, I didn't have an opportunity really to do it until today, had a few assignments etc this week. Will take a look through the options and pick from there.
    Wasn't around last night but week two has been added. Well done to F1Addict for posting the fastest in the Cooper. Thought about which car will be for this week?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Wasn't around last night but week two has been added. Well done to F1Addict for posting the fastest in the Cooper. Thought about which car will be for this week?
    I certainly have, Peugeot 207. That going to be OK, in terms of the rules of the contest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    I certainly have, Peugeot 207. That going to be OK, in terms of the rules of the contest?
    Absolutely! This weeks contest is a go then.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i had a quick go on this weeks car and even though it's next to the mini on the arcade menu choice thing it's a lot quicker.

I did 3 flying laps, 29.7, 28.3 then 28.2 was on for a low 27 but i Did a bit of a Gambon at Gambon... Sideways across the grass, bouncing off the giant invisible wall, just like reallife...

Reckon you top guys will get 25s, i have a pic but will probably beat this time so cba to go through effort of transfering/uploading pic...

ReputationRep:
    I may have a quick go tomorrow. I just wanna get to lvl30 ASAP. Desperate to try out the X1. :P

Edit: Did anyone manage to take the follow-through flat in the Mini? It seemed impossible. I hope you can in the 207, as it was a pain to try it flat out in the Mini.

ReputationRep:
    I may have a quick go tomorrow. I just wanna get to lvl30 ASAP. Desperate to try out the X1. :P

Edit: Did anyone manage to take the follow-through flat in the Mini? It seemed impossible. I hope you can in the 207, as it was a pain to try it flat out in the Mini.

Yea, you can take it flat... just... tyres that are standard are comfort soft so they hate they to corner at around 100 but other than a bit of understeer it's alright....

I may try it again but i want to see how far off the pace i am first....

ReputationRep:

Do you actually drive the X1 in that challenge? I've heard it's really bloody difficult. Even really good drivers are considerably off the pace that you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Do you actually drive the X1 in that challenge? I've heard it's really bloody difficult. Even really good drivers are considerably off the pace that you need.
    Yeah you get to drive it in the Seb. Vettel Challenge. You just have to get bronze to unlock the X1 for arcade mode, but thats no easy feat.. :P
    I think the X1 should become fairly ok to drive after the practice is put in. Its just a matter of readjusting, finding where you can go flat, where to brake, where to lift, etc. Then again, i may be in for a surprise! :P

watch this too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYuh_Oxh1BQ
    It corners like a beast!!

Yea, you can take it flat... just... tyres that are standard are comfort soft so they hate they to corner at around 100 but other than a bit of understeer it's alright....

I may try it again but i want to see how far off the pace i am first....
    I think i managed to take it flat once, but no again, had to lift or i'd end up touching the grass. I think i was taking it a bit too wide, as i didn't wanna cut the corner lol.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else going to set a time or am i just playing with myself in this challenge?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else going to set a time or am i just playing with myself in this challenge?
    I'll set a time tomorrow or Saturday. Depends what I have on. Was way too tired tonight to go on.

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a crack tomorrow after uni or work if I have a chance, been busy this week.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.