Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We're gonna shake London once again - 30th November - everyone should come! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Nothing will be established with violence, the point is to make your voice heard. With enough support and solidarity of alternative proposals the coalition will back down on student-fee rises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Profile)
    Nothing will be established with violence, the point is to make your voice heard. With enough support and solidarity of alternative proposals the coalition will back down on student-fee cuts.
    Back down on fee cuts, I assume you mean a fee-rise?

I never see the point in these, the government doesn't care what students think. Any idiot could tell you that students would rather not pay more for something.

(Original post by callum9999)
      I never see the point in these, the government doesn't care what anyone thinks; this is the same the world over, always has been and always will be. Get used to it.
      FTFY

ReputationRep:
      This is just going to make things worse. FFS people need to grow up, noone is going to take us seriously if all we're doing is throwing fire extinguishers off roofs and smashing windows....

ReputationRep:
      Once you resort to violence you lose all public sympathy and you can be very sure tution fees won't fall.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Silly Goose)
      If these pathetic suffragette wannabes wish to smash **** up, good for them. They can just do it in their own time, not during a protest, so they don't bring the image of all students down to their own repulsive level.
      This, exactly.

ReputationRep:
      Back down on fee cuts, I assume you mean a fee-rise?

I never see the point in these, the government doesn't care what students think. Any idiot could tell you that students would rather not pay more for something.
      The govt will be made to care if these protests carry on like this. (thanks for noticing my previous mistake as well).

ReputationRep:
      Yeah lets all destroy London, surely this will help save the government money as they don't need to pay to maintain services that don't exist anymore so they won't raise tuition fees! The public will support this or we'll smash them in too!

*froths at the mouth*

/sarcasm

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Aj12)
      So whats your other option then? Cutting something else that would likely cause a bigger backlash? Its politics the students are in the minority so obvisoly the government will cut what will affect the smallest amount of people as it will lead to the smallest backlash. The Tories are unlikely to receive many student votes at a normal time so they have the least to lose.
      I'm not asking you to explain to me why education is facing the harshest cuts. I'm well aware that it suits the tories ideology and will go down well with their core voters (ironically mostly middled-aged, middle-class people who will have themselves benefited from free university education but who are now unwilling to extend the same privilege to future generations).

You are also right to say that they thought we were in a minority and they did not expect a big backlash - that is why the met were so underprepared for the first protest where tory hq got smashed. This is precisely why students are right in protesting - the government need to be shown that we are not as politcally apathetic as they thought, we have a voice and we want to be heard.

In a democracy the government should be afraid of the people, not the other way round.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      FTFY
      Get used to it? I am used to it (and don't necessarily think it's a bad thing anyway).

The govt will be made to care if these protests carry on like this. (thanks for noticing my previous mistake as well).
      I can assure you they will not. If they are peaceful they will be ignored (just like the HUGE Iraq protest - far, far larger than this) and if they are violent and disruptive they will be condemned as trouble makers, and then ignored. What progress did the first protest make? Absolutely zero.

ReputationRep:
      I can assure you they will not. If they are peaceful they will be ignored (just like the HUGE Iraq protest - far, far larger than this) and if they are violent and disruptive they will be condemned as trouble makers, and then ignored. What progress did the first protest make? Absolutely zero.
      You are too cynical, progress will be made whether you like it or not. We have a democratic right to show our disagreement or animosity with the govt plans.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tbm)
      I agree. I really dont know how anyone who is at uni actually has time to go to these protests anyway. Isn't this like the 3rd or fourth one now?

The problem is that by doing this, you're giving ALL students a bad name.
      Are you a dumbass??

You do realise that 90% of the people going are school kids and chavs, a lot of them with no real intention of even going to uni.

ReputationRep:
      Those running the media want crazy high tuition fees because it is better for them (despite having a high paying job already), so even the slightest sniff of violence will be shot from multiple angles and portrayed as if that was the main focus. The cops will try to provoke that too, since they also have a vested interest.

ReputationRep:
      I live in westminster, about 5 minutes from both parliament square and millbank.

I joined in at the first one (it didn't require much except getting out of bed and stepping out of the door), but it requires my entire road to be closed off which somewhat disrupts me sometimes! Saying that, if I'm not busy I'll join in again. It was actually quite fun.

ReputationRep:
      It seems like absolutely no one understands what anarchy means.

ReputationRep:
      You are too cynical, progress will be made whether you like it or not. We have a democratic right to show our disagreement or animosity with the govt plans.
      Cynical yes, "too" cynical though? What precedent's are you using in your assumption that this has a chance of working? I can't think of any.

You have a democratic right to show disagreement, and the government has an elected right to ignore your opinion on things like this.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hopple)
      Those running the media want crazy high tuition fees because it is better for them (despite having a high paying job already), so even the slightest sniff of violence will be shot from multiple angles and portrayed as if that was the main focus. The cops will try to provoke that too, since they also have a vested interest.
      What benefits do the police and media possibly get from high tuition fees?

ReputationRep:
      It would be right to take it to Parliament this time, as opposed some Liberal office ><.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jessaay!)
      I live in westminster, about 5 minutes from both parliament square and millbank.

I joined in at the first one (it didn't require much except getting out of bed and stepping out of the door), but it requires my entire road to be closed off which somewhat disrupts me sometimes! Saying that, if I'm not busy I'll join in again. It was actually quite fun.
      This lol, I went to the one on Wednesday, and it was quite fun tbh.

ReputationRep:
      What benefits do the police and media possibly get from high tuition fees?
      Less tax for them

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.