Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls: Are you attracted to MONEY? Watch

• View Poll Results: Girls, are you more attracted to rich men?
    Yes
    54.72%
    No
    45.28%

ReputationRep:
    They won't admit it but they all are.

ReputationRep:
    I'm attracted to money enough to want to work hard to make my own. I am not attracted to people with money per se. I am attracted to people with ambition and drive, who may be more likely to make more money than others.

None of my boyfriends have ever been rich, they've always come from modest background but have worked hard.

ReputationRep:
    This is pretty obvious. It's nothing new.

ReputationRep:
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH, you girls are sweet saying that money doesn't motivate you...

But when a poor loving man has spent years working to be with you and is just about to propose before some rich tycoon steps off his private jet and suddenly gives you the look in the distance...

All I'm saying is that you may say this now, but when the time comes and you realise the magnitude of your decision, are you really going to be so nice? As many say, marrying rich is following human instinct in many ways.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's either that or a massive ****.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligence does it for me.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    my husband is quite the opposite of very rich.....but it would be lovely if he was lol.

I don't think money is everything, but I do think that lack of financial stability can cause a lot of problems in a relationship.

Answering from the other side (as a guy who's well-off but not super-rich), I think it does make a difference to how girls perceive a guy.

There are some girls who who will hit on a guy just because they want a rich bf, but I don't think that's true for most girls. I think for the majority of girls it is a bonus and can increase attraction if the attraction is already there.

I generally don't "act rich" (I'm much happier in a hoody and jeans from the gap than a suit) so mostly girls I date don't know about it. But I've found that I'm much more likely to go from being someone to "go out with" to "serious boyfriend" once they've found out I'm well off.

I have to admit I've been on the other side as well, I dated a girl who was super-rich, and I did think twice when I broke it off because of her wealth. So I don't entirely blame girls with the same attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonymeen)
    Intelligence does it for me.
    Jacking off to TSR evey night?

ReputationRep:
    It's probably a bonus factor in some cases.. If the attraction is already there. But money isn't everything. I like to provide for myself. A horrible man with loads of money wouldn't appeal to me. "Oh yeah, I don't care about your horrible personality and the fact that you hit babies. You have money, take me now!!!" :rolleyes:.. Yeah, it's probably an attractive trait. But I think it's like that for some boys as well.

Rose in Titanic left a very rich life for poor Jack, lol. I think it's wrong to be so judgmental about this. Some girls are nasty persons, but there are also nasty boys. Seeing someone purely because they have money is wrong, and I would never do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)

Money is the roots of all evils..
    Nope, the love of money is.

ReputationRep:
    I guess I am a bit. I like posh guys :dontknow:
    Money doesnt always mean poshness but sometimes does.

ReputationRep:
    The older you get, the more important it becomes, sadly... but then, it's more about girls wanting to settle down with someone who can provide them with financial stability rather than necessarily being subconsciously attracted to money. The "attraction" is more at the conscious level: "that guy would make a great boyfriend and would take care of me" rather than suddenly wanting to sleep with a guy because he has money.

But there are a few girls out there who are litterally attracted by the bank account.

In case you've never read this famous response to an advert on Craigslist:

Pretty young women = a depreciating asset?

ADVERT
    THIS APPEARED ON CRAIG'S LIST

What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy. I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City , so I don't think I'm overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 100 - 150. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 150,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?

Here are my questions specifically:

- Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms

-What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings

-Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)?

- Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the story there?

- Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?

- How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY

Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it. I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

RESPONSE
    I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I
    see it.

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in
    earnest. By 35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's
    as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful" as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K
    hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout.

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation.

With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way. Classic "pump and dump."

I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I wouldn't NOT date a guy just cos he was rich but it would put me off he he flaunted it, had a really flash car and was very materialistic etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    my husband is quite the opposite of very rich.....but it would be lovely if he was lol.

I don't think money is everything, but I do think that lack of financial stability can cause a lot of problems in a relationship.
    I think you’re spot on PinkMobilePhone.

Guys that have quite a bit of discretionary money are not troubled by the financial problems that most face.

That often has a positive impact on their confidence levels and they may be seen as easy going, free spirited and generally fun to be around individuals.

Those traits are seen as attractive by many women, so yes women are attracted to individuals of this type even if they fail to recognize the basis of the traits. Women who are with them may be seen as gold diggers while in fact they may lack a direct fascination for the money.

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought that, rather than being attracted to money directly, people would be attracted to a certain type of person. It just so happens that that type of person usually has a fair bit of money.

For example, a girl might be attracted to intelligent, educated men. But then, being intelligent and educated often leads to having a lot of money, by making a person employable. Or perhaps she's attracted to confident men. But then, maybe one of the reasons he's confident is because he knows he's financially well off.

In general, it's possible that the traits which make a person attractive are similar to the traits which might either make a person successful in certain lucrative industries, or they might be a direct result of being having lots of money - being intelligent, confident, good looking, well spoken, and whatever else there is. Maybe the richest men do get the most messages on dating websites. But as we all know, correlation does not equal causation.

(On the other hand, I'm not naive enough to think gold-diggers don't exist).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akash11)
    Jacking off to TSR evey night?
    If only it were possible :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I would have thought that, rather than being attracted to money directly, people would be attracted to a certain type of person. It just so happens that that type of person usually has a fair bit of money.

For example, a girl might be attracted to intelligent, educated men. But then, being intelligent and educated often leads to having a lot of money, by making a person employable. Or perhaps she's attracted to confident men. But then, maybe one of the reasons he's confident is because he knows he's financially well off.

In general, it's possible that the traits which make a person attractive are similar to the traits which might either make a person successful in certain lucrative industries, or they might be a direct result of being having lots of money - being intelligent, confident, good looking, well spoken, and whatever else there is. Maybe the richest men do get the most messages on dating websites. But as we all know, correlation does not equal causation.

(On the other hand, I'm not naive enough to think gold-diggers don't exist).
    This. I assume most people know this, but it's easier to deny it and say that "that girl was only after money", instead of facing up to the fact that there are many things you don't have to offer.
    Obviously there will always be gold-diggers in the same way that there are men who only want someone who's willing to have sex no matter who they are, or who goes for women whom are pretty but stupid. But reality is that confidence, being successful at what they do, being well-mannered and well-raised, good style clothing-wise etc etc, is in many cases (not always, guys) related to being well off.

ReputationRep:
    Most girls are saying it doesn't matter to them but that contradicts the research. Is this another case of girls saying one thing but doing another?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I like money, but money can't buy me.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.