Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Footballer of the Year 2010 - The Nominations Watch

ReputationRep:
    David Villa, for what exactly this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    This is so biased. Where is Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Robben,...

No offense, Gareth Bale is one of the best players right now, but to be Player of the Year, a couple of good matches are not enough. Same counts for Rooney.

I would suggest these 15 (alphabetical order):

Iker Casillas
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Didier Drogba
    Diego Forlan
    Andres iniesta
    Maicon
    Lionel Messi
    Thomas Muller
    Mesut Ozil
    Bastian Schweinsteiger
    Arjen Robben
    Carles Puyol
    Wesley Sneijder
    David Villa
    Xavi
    The list wasn't definitive, I even said that it was simply a starting point. As it happens, you have offered no explanation to your picks and most of your list have been suggested already.

The list is of course leaning towards those that TSR would actually care about. If you think users of this forum would give it to Casillas or Maicon over Gareth Bale then you are much mistaken :yep:

Also speaking of BS, learn the alphabet :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colbert)
    The list wasn't definitive, I even said that it was simply a starting point. As it happens, you have offered no explanation to your picks and most of your list have been suggested already.

The list is of course leaning towards those that TSR would actually care about. If you think users of this forum would give it to Casillas or Maicon over Gareth Bale then you are much mistaken :yep:

Also speaking of BS, learn the alphabet :teehee:
    Well, those who watch not only Premier League, would never give it to Gareth Bale. Yes, at the moment he is probably the best midfielder out there (or at least in the top 3). But over the entire year, you can't say that. And what explanations do you want? I gave you the explanations why some of your players aren't supposed to be in.

ReputationRep:
    Lets face it, no Inter Milan player should win it, Mourinho was the only reason why they won it, and now they have Benitez they are doing awfully.

On current form Ronaldo or Messi, nothing to choose between the two, both annoyingly superb. Will be a great game tonight too!

Ashley Cole - amazing player. Perfectly consistent, has all the attacking qualities (and more) than both Maicon and Dani Alves, however is about 100x better at defending. What a superb player, although never gets a look in in these competitions!

All in all I think it has to go to David Villa. Absolutely superb in the World Cup, made every other player look completely average to me. Hasn't been great for Barca this season but his world cup form is more than enough to win footballer of the year, and it will be a change from Messi or Ronaldo!!

Finally, as good as Gareth Bale is, he is nowhere the standard of the other players (excluding Heskey), yet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    This is so biased. Where is Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Robben,...

No offense, Gareth Bale is one of the best players right now, but to be Player of the Year, a couple of good matches are not enough. Same counts for Rooney.

I would suggest these 15 (alphabetical order):

Iker Casillas
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Didier Drogba
    Diego Forlan
    Andres iniesta
    Maicon
    Lionel Messi
    Thomas Muller
    Mesut Ozil
    Bastian Schweinsteiger
    Arjen Robben
    Carles Puyol
    Wesley Sneijder
    David Villa
    Xavi
    Ozil is a fantastic player. He excelled at the WC but he didn't do much while playing for Werder Bremen. And as you say, a couple of matches isn't enough.

Also, I think Dani Alves is better than Maicon. But that's down to personal preference. They're both amazing.

Nevertheless, I must say, I agree with your list overall. Way less biased.

ReputationRep:
    Rooooooooooney

ReputationRep:
    Nasri and bale for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Victor-PP)
    What? Why do you say that? Perhaps because Barça beat Almeria 8-0, for instance? Man Utd won 7-1 recently, and Chelsea won by a difference of several goals on various matches. That's not uncommon in England either. The best two players in the world(Messi and Ronaldo) play in La Liga. Madrid and Barça are amazing clubs.

I'm a great fan of the Premier League. And probably it is the best and most competitive football league in the world. But the Spanish League isn't far behind at all. Not a poor league by any chance.

Do Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Casillas, Xabi Alonso or Busquets ring any bells?
    Iniesta has been injured fairly regularly.
    Xavi is very slightly overrated imo, but maybe yes, he should be in the running.
    Casillas had a poor season in 09-10.
    Villa has been hot and cold, although he is settling in.
    Alonso has been very consistent, although imo never shown true excellence (a la Xavi). A good-verygood season, but not on a shortlist.
    Busquets is massively overrated.

As for the Spanish league being poor, it genuinely is. Atletico, who you said could take on all of Europe, struggled in extra time, led by one man, to get past a ridiculously bad Liverpool team (just for the record, I support liverpool). Sevilla arent in the CL this year (and only just scraped into the qualifying spots), Valencia are reeling from losing their two main superstars (though Banega and Mata are excellent).

The top two teams are simply the best by a huge margin, with Barca probably being the best team in Europe, and Real probably 5-6th best in Europe (Barca, United, Inter, Chelsea, Bayern, Arsenal/Real).

ReputationRep:
    Andy Carroll :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    How about TSR Football Forum (ab)user of the Year 2010?

white_haired_wizard

Close thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    How about TSR Football Forum (ab)user of the Year 2010?

white_haired_wizard

Close thread.
    How about shut the hell up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage)
    How about shut the hell up.
    stfu.

ReputationRep:
    Diego Forlan out of the original list- won the Europa League and took his country to the WC semi-final. And he provided nearly as many laughs at Man U as Helder Postiga did at Spurs.

ReputationRep:
    anyone said bale yet :awesome:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: November 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.