Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    So this is all after you've just heard one side to the story.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry OP can't join you. Bangladesh is one of China's most cheap pricing importer of clectronic products e.g, cell phone, computers, musical instruments etc and machineries for factories, eg garments manufacturing sewing machines. So we have to trade with them in order to meet the demands of our nation's population. Again we are a major exporter of Cloths and Fashionwear to the US and Europe and throughout the world economy. We had our war history (1952-1971). Officially got our independent flag. We believe in free trade not war, and we put our war machines on display. Killing innocent lives is not an answer, helping other nations to fund money for war is also not a supportive cause for many people. But not all nations are like the US where they throw grains away. So we have to trade to meet the needs of our population whether its with US or China or Korea or anybody across the world economy.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck. Except you the computer you are using right now probably has some parts that were made in China. The modem / router that you are connecting to the internet to probably has parts made in china. Not everything that is made there has "made in china" on it, and for some things that are not made in china, quite often some components of those things are made in china. You are going to fail.

ReputationRep:
    Look, I appreciate why anyone would want to boycott China, but it's not possible. So much stuff is manufactured in China that it's probably impossible to not buy at least one product a year that incorporates at least one component or material made in China.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be pretty hard because of the vast scale the Chinese operate on. I bet the computer you're writing on has at least one Chinese-made component/

ReputationRep:
    Every pound you spend will ultimately fund evil. What's the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    you fool
    yes, we can buy the things china produces elsewhere, but the whole reason we buy so much from china is because it's so darn cheap
    if chinese exporters went out of business, what would we do for our material possessions? prices would literally multiply and we'd have no disposable income left
    our economy would decline rapidly

plus the income of an entire nation (china) would go down the drain
    do you really want the blood of 1.3 billion people on your hands?

plus, as many other people have pointed out, you have no good reason for singling out china as the victim of this little one-man crusade you have going here
    what about the USA, which gives more aid to Israel than it does to any of its other aid recipients put together?
    Yeah, Israel uses that money to crush Palestine, FYI.

what about agricultural produce produced in the EU? those prices are kept artificially high so as to drive all those starving farmers in africa out of business

yep, just like that woman in your video.

so, unless this is a very well thought out troll
    you fail.
    You do realise there are plenty of other developing countries that are very happy to produce and in fact, do produce the same goods as China?

Try looking up ASEAN; Burma aside - most of these countries are in direct competition with the Chinese. I think some members on here are drunk on the Chinese myth that they are the only source of many products in the world. I'm not saying that it's possible to 100% avoid every object part assembled in China; but that is no excuse for not trying either. I don't want the blood of North Koreans on my hand. Every pound saved by sourcing from China is blood money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    You do realise there are plenty of other developing countries that are very happy to produce and in fact, do produce the same goods as China?

Try looking up ASEAN; Burma aside - most of these countries are in direct competition with the Chinese. I think some members on here are drunk on the Chinese myth that they are the only source of many products in the world. I'm not saying that it's possible to 100% avoid every object part assembled in China; but that is no excuse for not trying either. I don't want the blood of North Koreans on my hand. Every pound saved by sourcing from China is blood money.
    perhaps (in fact, a direct source would be nice ), but China has economies of scale and technology on its side and can do things a lot more cheaply and at this point, better
    not just that, but it's a 2-way street -
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...xports-imports

china is a major export partner for the UK too - it would have a big effect on our economy

anyway, has it not struck you at any point that taking away a major source of aid for north korea will, in fact, worsen the condition of its peasants?
    change does NOT always start from the bottom - good governance, which is non-corrupt and not overly bureaucratic is the first and most crucial step towards economic development

and you don't seem to have responded to the point that china is not the only country supporting despotic regimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Why I'm boycotting Chinese made goods

North Korea Video

Please watch the video before commenting

Over the last two decades the Chinese state has enriched itself immensely through economic development funded by western consumers. It has used these resources to prop up despicable regimes; not only for economic reasons but also for purely political ends.

In particular the continued existence of the North Korean state is reliant upon (and the threat of) Chinese diplomatic and military support. I find indirectly funding a society like North Korea abhorrent and pressure must be brought upon China to abandon its support of a state - that could only be described as the collective enemy of mankind.

This is why I now refuse to buy goods made from Chinese factories. There are plenty of alternatives out there that do not involve China and helping to prop up the North Korean regime. I know our governments are not perfect, however I use tools to hold it to account. This boycott is also a weapon to be used to hold the Chinese State to account. I have no issue with the normal Chinese worker; as I'm sure they would find the actual conditions in North Korea disgusting - but there is a serious issue with the Chinese state. If anyone else wants to join as part of a wider boycott I'll add you the list

TSR users boycotting China:
    RyanT
    so why not boycott US, British and generally western goods too for supporting Israel. in what way is Israel better than N. Korea

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure China will be gutted.

ReputationRep:
    anyway, has it not struck you at any point that taking away a major source of aid for north korea will, in fact, worsen the condition of its peasants?
    Yes, it has also struck me that such aid is what props up the regime. These people deserve better and the transition away will involve suffering. If it ends their current suffering then it is better for the North Korean people.

change does NOT always start from the bottom - good governance, which is non-corrupt and not overly bureaucratic is the first and most crucial step towards economic development
    You do realise we're talking about North Korea, don't you?

and you don't seem to have responded to the point that china is not the only country supporting despotic regimes
    If you read through the thread you will see I've responded to this point several times. I have made the distinction between North Korea and other regimes on the basis that I personally consider the North Korean state to be inhumane. I recognise there are many other good causes in the world which I applaud. However boycotting Chinese goods is a rather big undertaking due to their ubiquity - I would rather spend my time supporting the North Korean people by hurting sponsors of its oppressive government; then do nothing.

Your logic appears to be that I can't support one cause above any other. Well, actually - I can and I have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arab)
    so why not boycott US, British and generally western goods too for supporting Israel. in what way is Israel better than N. Korea
    I'm sure there's a lot of good causes out there - if you wish to boycott US, British and Israeli goods in the name of a good cause then you have my moral support. I do not however, have the resources to pursue every good cause known to man-kind and have chosen to support the North Korean people on the basis that I personally judge their inhumane levels of suffering to be worthy of support.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to boycott Chinese-made goods, you'll have to make everything yourself from scratch. This includeds mining for iron ore and cutting down your own trees before sawing them into planks to make wooden parts. Even if an item says Made In The EU on it, it's highly likley that it was only assembled in the EU. The parts will almost certainly have come from China. Crap boycott is crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sendaii)
    If you're going to boycott Chinese-made goods, you'll have to make everything yourself from scratch. This includeds mining for iron ore and cutting down your own trees before sawing them into planks to make wooden parts. Even if an item says Made In The EU on it, it's highly likley that it was only assembled in the EU. The parts will almost certainly have come from China. Crap boycott is crap.
    I agree there is a limit to the effectiveness of such a boycott, but less blood Yuan - the better the world (specifically NK) should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    I agree there is a limit to the effectiveness of such a boycott, but less blood Yuan - the better the world (specifically NK) should be.
    Then it's not really a boycott is it?

As I said, crap boycott is crap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.