Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pakistani communities in Britain Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    Had a discussion during lunch with some Pakistanis and it came around to different Pakistani communities across Britain. One guy had the view that wherever there was a commmunity which was majority Pakistani, then the living and social conditions were somewhat worse for wear. Examples such as litter on the footpaths, people spitting everywhere, no order on the roads (people cutting over, stopping in the middle of traffic to greet friends in nearby cars etc; essentially creating a traffic system similar to that in Karachi; well perhaps not as bad!)

Another thing was knowing how to form an orderly queue and waiting ones turn for service (ie. in a bank)....

there are other such examples...... Now I don't necessarily agree with this but can see where the guy was coming from)

Not having a go at pakistanis, but would like to hear from any Pakistanis who agree with such a generalisation (especially from those who live in areas of high pakistani numbers; up north etc
    I think the saddest thing about the pakistani muslim community is often reflected on TSR. So many british born muslims of pakistani origin are caught between two worlds . There may be some advantages in this -decent home-cooked curries!- but there is also a lot of distress about identity and relationships.
    Growing up is difficult for most people but throw in the fact that you are meant to grow up as you would have expected to on another continent must be confusing and distressing. There are many threads on here by british born muslims which express real distress when it comes to relationships.The phrase 'my parents would literally kill me' comes up often'. I find this sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peace'n'loveman)
    I think the saddest thing about the pakistani muslim community is often reflected on TSR. So many british born muslims of pakistani origin are caught between two worlds . There may be some advantages in this -decent home-cooked curries!- but there is also a lot of distress about identity and relationships.
    Growing up is difficult for most people but throw in the fact that you are meant to grow up as you would have expected to on another continent must be confusing and distressing. There are many threads on here by british born muslims which express real distress when it comes to relationships.The phrase 'my parents would literally kill me' comes up often'. I find this sad.
    This is true of all muslims (of all nationalities) who come from a "strict" muslim family and have the dilema of love/relationships...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not pakistani but there are a couple of pakistani dominated places I sometimes go through to get Birmingham and I couldn't agree more with your first paragraph! The pavements are filthy, and the driving standard is appaling. I just think culturally they don't value their environment at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Obviously you are for having to ask that. There are dozens of ethnicites in the sub continent but all share cultural traits and ways of life. There's no greater difference between a Pakistani and Bangladeshi than there is between someone from Travancore and someone from Delhi.

Whereas there is a massive difference between that culture and the British culture, which is a much more respectful and polite culture. British people would form a queue to get into a queue if they had the chance, people from India and Pakistan just pile in and everyone is for themselves.
    I don't think you actually observed them closely enough then. Its like me saying theres no great difference between the Polish and the English.

Telling someone that Indians and Pakistanis are all for themselves runs completely against the life stories of many, many Pakistanis and Indians.

ReputationRep:
    Racists are at it again. We all know white Brits are all clean and tidy don't we.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MovingOn)
    I'm not pakistani but there are a couple of pakistani dominated places I sometimes go through to get Birmingham and I couldn't agree more with your first paragraph! The pavements are filthy, and the driving standard is appaling. I just think culturally they don't value their environment at all.
    I'm not Pakistani either, but I live in a Pakistani majority neighbourhood and it's about ten times cleaner than anywhere else in town.

ReputationRep:
    You've obviously never lived in our street then. It's not spanking clean, but it's not dirty. Bearing in mind that the street is majority Pakistani and we have two white neighbour's (though soon to be one, as we bought one next door neighbour's house on the cheap ) It is generally well kept. When it snowed, pretty much everyone cleared their little bit of pavement outside their house and our street is pretty much snow free now :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    I'm not Pakistani either, but I live in a Pakistani majority neighbourhood and it's about ten times cleaner than anywhere else in town.
    but then you do live in slough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    I didn't say all Pakistani neighbourhoods are like it, I just spoke about the two I have the misfortune of knowing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    but then you do live in slough!
    True. Could be it's just that everyone else is particularly filthy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.