Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

get yourselves to TRAFALGAR SQUARE for 12:00 this tuesday Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    Should I take this as a sign you do not wish to enter into debate on the issue?
    Correct, and also that what you said made me Laugh Out Loud.

ReputationRep:
    Ill be there with all my right wing droogs waiting for you lefties to advance.. its gonna be like the show down in the old theatre in clockwork orang.. im using my right to protest, to protest against your flawed protest!

SAY NO TO FEE PROTESTERS!

ReputationRep:
    poor kids dont deserve to go to uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Laugh Out Loud.
    *cringe*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tbm)
    Hardly, have you actually worked in the public sector? Ive worked in both, and I can tell you that I had it WAY easier in the private sector - better paid, more flexibility, less pressure.
    Yer but in the public sector you've got job security and pension...i mean you cant have your cake and eat it can you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Low Profile)
    typical Tory way of thinking. Only the priviledged have the right to higher education? Public services are not an expense! To ensure stability and a progressive society, public services are essential. The common good of society is established from the greatest asset this nation has to offer; education. If you hinder the prospects of the common person to education then you defeat the purpose of a sustainable way of living.
    Hinder, how? It is not my fault if these people you say you support can't figure out for themselves that under the new scheme poor students get a much better deal. It is the highest earning graduates under the new system who pay much more. So really you are supporting the status quo, where poorer students are worse off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Great_One)
    Yer but in the public sector you've got job security and pension...i mean you cant have your cake and eat it can you.
    Job security, are you having a laugh? I was actually informed in Sep I was being made redundant, I have been lucky enough to get another job in a different department but its only temporary, and they are talking about more cuts so yet again I am at risk. Everyone I used to work with in my old team has lost their job. There is no real job security for anyone working in the public sector at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nofish4u)
    Ill be there with all my right wing droogs waiting for you lefties to advance.. its gonna be like the show down in the old theatre in clockwork orang.. im using my right to protest, to protest against your flawed protest!

SAY NO TO FEE PROTESTERS!
    Awsome!

ReputationRep:
    Coming up with alternatives/solutions is too difficult, much easier to walk around with a sign shouting stuff right?

ReputationRep:
    Grow up

ReputationRep:
    Essay which is worth 60% of my module (30 credits) with a deadline very soon, or go to this protest which is actually advertised for Wednesday? Hmmm, I dunno, I think I'll sleep on it.

ReputationRep:
    Only if it finishes at a point where I can get back home in time for Countdown.

ReputationRep:
    I hope you students don't stay out to late...you've got a paper round on wednesday morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Essay which is worth 60% of my module (30 credits) with a deadline very soon, or go to this protest which is actually advertised for Wednesday? Hmmm, I dunno, I think I'll sleep on it.
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=167108026656320

ReputationRep:
    sorry guys I might not be able 2 bring along my supersplash watergun, the water might freeze

(Original post by missygeorgia)
      Gosh, are you really that egotistical that you'll take a general post I make about students and assume that I was talking specifically about you, ch0llima?
      Gosh, are you really that hurt that you'll take me disassembling your prior diatribe as an act of personal insult and quote my whole reply without discussing, evaluating or probably even reading it, missygeorgia?

You're right - I am actually that egotistical, but nevertheless thanks for asking

It was so obviously a generalised post, do you really think that I actually believe this applies to every student on this forum who disagrees with the protests?
      Well, sarcasm or rhetorical questions aside, you have actually failed to provide a concrete answer nor are you participating in anything approaching a vaguely sensible or constructive fashion.

Are you frickin serious? Do you really think I CARE?
      Again, let us cast rhetorical questions to one side. You evidently care enough to lash out like a stroppy, spoilt ***** instead of actually answering my question and attempting to engage in a sensible discussion. I notice that you also failed to provide me with the proof I invited from you.

However, I am prepared to forgive you for your use of primitive American slang as well as accidentally striking your caps lock key - there, that's my good deed done for the day.

Oh yes, and I just noticed in my other tab that you answered Bax-man with a simple "LOL" to what many (to be fair, myself partially included depending on what it is) would consider to be a vaguely sensible argument. Again, you haven't offered any kind of insight or constructive discussion - what's your proposal? Private healthcare already exists and I know from experience that it's better than the NHS - again, you get what you pay for. I went to a private school - again, free market and no fee regulation in law. The only item in that list which justifies "LOL" is the police.

Back on topic...

I think people are, very soon, going to get bored of these protests and any sympathy for those taking part will be limited. Not to mention that it's getting a tad nippy outside - I for one wouldn't want to sit in a police kettle, freezing my nuts off for a cause that the public have no sympathy for and the Government don't care about.

There are far greater hardships facing this country. While you anarchists trash London because it's "cool" and "sticking it to the man", a pensioner freezes to death because they can't afford heating; a miserable family Christmas because both parents have lost their jobs and, subsequently, their home; cuts to local authority funding mean you need your ice skates to get to work in the mornings, because councils can't afford salt and grit... I could go on, and feel free to add your own examples.

Bottom line: university fees are the least of my worries, and the same probably applies to millions of other people. Why do you think your cause is so important all of a sudden?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by L i b)
      That's the most convoluted tripe I've read all week.
      That's your view but surely if education is left to a minority elite there would be great inequality in society.

ReputationRep:
      ok.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blondshavemorefun)
      Hinder, how? It is not my fault if these people you say you support can't figure out for themselves that under the new scheme poor students get a much better deal. It is the highest earning graduates under the new system who pay much more. So really you are supporting the status quo, where poorer students are worse off!
      I'm sorry which people did I say I supported? I'm not a Labour apologetic, I simply believe the alternative way of cuts should not be mainly with the public sector.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ch0llima)
      Gosh, are you really that hurt that you'll take me disassembling your prior diatribe as an act of personal insult and quote my whole reply without discussing, evaluating or probably even reading it, missygeorgia?

You're right - I am actually that egotistical, but nevertheless thanks for asking

Well, sarcasm or rhetorical questions aside, you have actually failed to provide a concrete answer nor are you participating in anything approaching a vaguely sensible or constructive fashion.

Again, let us cast rhetorical questions to one side. You evidently care enough to lash out like a stroppy, spoilt ***** instead of actually answering my question and attempting to engage in a sensible discussion. I notice that you also failed to provide me with the proof I invited from you.

However, I am prepared to forgive you for your use of primitive American slang as well as accidentally striking your caps lock key - there, that's my good deed done for the day.

Oh yes, and I just noticed in my other tab that you answered Bax-man with a simple "LOL" to what many (to be fair, myself partially included depending on what it is) would consider to be a vaguely sensible argument. Again, you haven't offered any kind of insight or constructive discussion - what's your proposal? Private healthcare already exists and I know from experience that it's better than the NHS - again, you get what you pay for. I went to a private school - again, free market and no fee regulation in law. The only item in that list which justifies "LOL" is the police.
      The reason that I (as you keep whinily pointing out) didn't address any of your argument is because your argument basically consisted of ME ME ME, this is MY SITUATION, lets talk about ME and the reasons I THINK THIS, prove this about ME. I'M SCOTTISH WHY SHOULD I CARE, AND LETS TALK ABOUT MY COMPUTER HABITS. Why on earth would I be interested in "providing proof" that you aren't involved in protests, or whatever it is you asked? I couldn't give a crap about whether you're involved in protests or not. I don't care about your own personal stance on the protests, why on earth would I want to discuss them with you?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.