Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Britain should introduce Sterilization or Birth Control Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Land, fresh water, oil, food etc.
    On a world wide scale we're becoming amazingly close to our population surpassing our ability to distribute those in a meaningful way. Not that we currently do distribute them in a fair way.
    You've hit the nail on the head with distribution.

We already produce enough food to feed the world three times over; the problem is its all eaten by fat Americans.

Land is no problem. There are huge swathes of Russia and Northern Canada were almost no-one lives. Even places like the US are vastly underinhabited.

Water is easy. Build a load of nuclear plants next to the sea, and use the energy to power desalinifaction plants.

Oil is something of an issue. Although they think there is as much oil under the North Pole as there was in the entire middle east. That's a lot of oil. Either way, the sooner the better we turn to electric/hydrogen cars and 100% nuclear power the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    We live in a democracy. Thread/
    democracy is we are all equal and get to participate (elections and referendums), not we suport everyones choices if they can't afford to, your thinking of communism
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by f00ddude)
    democracy is we are all equal and get to participate (elections and referendums), not we suport everyones choices if they can't afford to, your thinking of communism
    No im not. A democracy like ours involves allowing peopel certain freedoms. One of those freedoms is the right to have children. Unless you want to live in a state like China where those who break the one child policy and forciabley sterilised?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    Hi Ladies/Gents,

I have been really thinking about this issue. If you're a regular reader of Newspaper's, you will see certain articles about families demanding a council house, thuggish teens, lazy people refusing to work, etc. This may sound very harsh and controversial, but people who fit under the category should NOT be allowed to breed.

Here is a scenario: There is a Mother who lives in a small council flat. She is unemployed and has children with different fathers. She is also has a few bad habits - cannabis and alcohol. The child grows up in a scenario where education is nothing, but hanging around on street corners smoking is the norm. Getting a job and working is unheard of, so its straight onto benefits and he/she will follow the Mother's footsteps - This is a cycle that will follow for generations.

Now, if there were a way to control birth rate this would be avoided. Let's say she is allowed a maximum of 2 children - they can be focused upon in terms of education, personal development etc.

What are your thoughts?
    I wish to live in a free society. I understand that to live in a society where I can live how I wish that others must be able to so the same, even if that means that their life choices are different to mine. While I might well prefer it if people weren't living like you describe, I do not wish to live where people can be sterilised because of their life choices.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi Ladies/Gents,

I have been really thinking about this issue. If you're a regular reader of Newspaper's
    Stopped reading there.

(Original post by there's too much love)
    How do you feel is the best way to cope with a lack of resources and a growing population in distributing those resources. Do you think we need to do something in order to curb overpopulation? If so what do you suggest?
    There isn't really a lack of resources, though as the human population keeps doubling I wouldn't rule it out as a potential problem. The issue right now is the distribution of resources and that is strongly related to the capitalist paradigm which dominates. All the evidence suggests that when people feel economically secure, for themselves and their offspring, they tend to reduce the number of children they have. It is not, as 'newspaper lore' has it, that the poor people go out of their way to have more children, though specific circumstances might just encourage it, but that overwhelmingly it is the better-off who have fewer children, and this has much to do with their economic security. The answer is staring us in the face, change the nature of society so that everyone has economic security and is not at the mercy of capitalistic uncertainties and potentials for impoverishment traps. The trouble is that capitalist interests are powerful, physically and ideologically, they will happily see the destruction of the human-habitable earth before a different direction is undertaken. The pessimist in me thinks this very well may be what happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    No im not. A democracy like ours involves allowing peopel certain freedoms. One of those freedoms is the right to have children. Unless you want to live in a state like China where those who break the one child policy and forciabley sterilised?
    they dont have that freedom when they can't afford it and decide to beg for benefits
    its like me saying i have the freedom to buy a range rover, but Mr Government i can't afford the fuel for such a big car, can you give me money

ReputationRep:
    Blanket 2 child policy ftw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Democracy =/= liberty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Blanket 2 child policy ftw
    What rubbish. How will a national government stop people having 3 or more children in another country and then moving back?

It also discriminates against women. A woman may omly have 2 children but a man could have as many children as he likes as long as its not more than 2 per woman.

ReputationRep:
    They should just cut child benefit for those out of work. (not including disabled as they cant work).

Therefore, if a single mother works then she gets help towards her children as she is contributing to the country.

If a teenager age 16 gets pregnant and leaves school then they get nothing because of their carelessness and they are not contributing. Maybe she'll think about having unprotected sex with men then. Maybe the boy involved will think about getting a job before he tries to get his leg over.

People should be made to think of the financial implications rather than just expect handouts.

I would only ever have a child with a women if I was in a long term relationship, financially stable and able to bring that child into a suitable home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    What rubbish. How will a national government stop people having 3 or more children in another country and then moving back?
    Well unless huge swathes of the population move abroad for 9 months at a time so as to do this, overall this will curb population growth.

Also, it is stealthily biased against the underclass (that even I as a left-winger detest), in that they will be the least likely to go abroad to have extra children due to to their finances.

All in all, it would balance out due to the tendency of wealthier, more intelligent people to have fewer children anyway - they won't make the investment of going abroad to have more children if they don't want them; whilst those who do have a tendency to want more children, won't because they really cannot afford to.

It also discriminates against women. A woman may omly have 2 children but a man could have as many children as he likes as long as its not more than 2 per woman.
    So what? The fact that women carry and give birth to our children is just a fact of life. All blanket policies have their shortcomings, but 'for the greater good' 'n' all...

(Original post by Elipsis)
    ...A newspapers job outside of the opinions column is to print facts, rather than baseless leftist excuses for why the lower classes behave like scum...
    Thank you for that clearly unbiased and impeccably temperate comment :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Well unless huge swathes of the population move abroad for 9 months at a time so as to do this, overall this will curb population growth.

Also, it is stealthily biased against the underclass (that even I as a left-winger detest), in that they will be the least likely to go abroad to have extra children due to to their finances.

All in all, it would balance out due to the tendency of wealthier, more intelligent people to have fewer children anyway - they won't make the investment of going abroad to have more children if they don't want them; whilst those who do have a tendency to want more children, won't because they really cannot afford to.

So what? The fact that women carry and give birth to our children is just a fact of life. All blanket policies have their shortcomings, but 'for the greater good' 'n' all...
    So the 2 child rule is not to stop everyone having more children, just poor people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Stopped reading there.
    This has already been discussed on the previous pages, dear.

ReputationRep:
    But what if they want to breed like its your birthday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    But what if they want to breed like its your birthday?
    You what?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This has already been discussed on the previous pages, dear.
    Hey, you know- maybe I didn't see it because I stopped reading there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    So the 2 child rule is not to stop everyone having more children, just poor people.

The 2 child rule would apply to everyone - ergo it'd be a fair rule. It would be aimed at everyone, since those who would be able to circumvent it would not do so in any great number.

ReputationRep:
    The 2 child rule would apply to everyone - ergo it'd be a fair rule. It would be aimed at everyone, since those who would be able to circumvent it would not do so in any great number.
    Do you write this stuff because you really believe in it or just to show how little thinking you do?

Your proposal is unworkable unless you have a country that passes laws to force women to have abortions against their will but people can come into the country with as many children as they like if they were born abroad so loads of middle class people can have as many children as they like while the poor can't afford it.

It happens in China but they have a repressive regime and loads of babies are aborted at 8 months or killed by their parents or abandoned in children's homes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.