Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Londoners! Where's the best place for me to live? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Richmond's one of the most expensive places to live in London.
    Some places in Richmond are still 'affordable'. Very beautiful & safe area to live though.

ReputationRep:
    We used to rent a flat for £500 per month all bills etc. included and I live in North East London, in a not too bad area about 15-20 mins on the tube from Oxford Street so that's not to bad, is it? Maybe look around here

Hard to advise anywhere though without you being more specific on what type of place you want.

ReputationRep:
    Hounslow is a 'cheap' area to live.

(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Well it's hard without a real budget. If you could afford 200 a week, I'd say you should live bang in the middle of shoreditch, if you could only afford 150 then I'd say bethnal green which is close by but cheaper and if you could only afford 100 I'd say hackney which is close by and even cheaper still, or Bow which is a 5 minute bus journey away and cheaper.

And that's all based on the assumption that you wanted to live in east. I don't know about camden cos I've never lived there.
    Thank you, you are very helpful.

Considering:

• Brixton
    • Camberwell
    • Camden Town
    • Shepherd's Bush
    • Shoreditch
    • Willesden Green

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Thank you, you are very helpful.

Considering:

• Brixton
    • Camberwell
    • Camden Town
    • Shepherd's Bush
    • Shoreditch
    • Willesden Green
    Definitely cross off Camberwell. Definitely add clapham. Also add islington. I'd cross off shepherd's bush and Willesden, both are too far out and not much going on there (in my opinion). Add bethnal green and hoxton. And keep shoreditch, brixton and camden.

I'm biased towards east and south london but those are the places I think are best based on what you've said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovely88)
    Some places in Richmond are still 'affordable'. Very beautiful & safe area to live though.
    Do you live there? I've lived there all my life but for someone looking for less than 100pw, well, they shouldn't really be looking in Richmond.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milk <3)
    i moved from harrow in the 90s to hillingdon even further out of london. i finally felt like there was a nice mix of cultures in hillingdon - people of different races and religions but at least i felt like i fit in, and now every year since i moved here the area is becoming more and more "diverse". obviously the word diverse is a paradox lol.

im literally the only kid in most of my classes who's parents were born in england, and principally because of that im not able to get any closer than 'acquantainces' to anyone due to culture clashes, as lovely as muslims and hindus genuinely are.
    nowhere is safe in the long term though
    I'm feeling that. I live in Harrow, go to college in the general area, and it's so hard to make friends if ur white. In one of my AS level classes, I was the only white person in a class of 19! Got nothing against muslims, hindus, sikhs etc, but because there's so many of them they don't integrate with white people.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I detect a bit of trolling in this thread. Here's my guide for areas that aren't rough, rated out of 10 (10 basically being Baghdad, 1 being Tunbridge Wells)

I'll do all the areas in NW, and a few others as well.

Harrow - 2.5/10 (very varying though. Areas of Harrow like Wealdstone, there are gangs of Somalians that roam the streets at night, and will chase and stab you for the tenner in your pocket - believe me it happened to a mate of mine. However, nice areas like the one I live in, are fantastic. In my area, there is basically no crime, and there hasn't been a murder for years on end.)
    Hillingdon - 2/10 Very expensive
    Harlesden - 7/10 I was in a practice studio a few weeks ago towards Acton and I chatting to the guy who worked there about the local area. He said to me "If you, as a white guy, go there at night, you WILL get stabbed. Obv I'm not just basing it on that, it is generally known to be quite a rough, deprived area.
    Stonebridge 5/10. I know there are a few quite nasty gangs round here. It's not a great place to be, and I think it's had its fair share of murders/shootings/stabbings.
    Willesden 5/10 Fairly similar to Stonebridge
    Acton 4/10 Not particularly nice, but not serious
    Wembley 3/10 reasonably safe, as it's quite busy, but you're still gonna be looking over your shoulder a lot at night.
    Neasden 6/10 Known to be a gang area, and quite violent. I worked part time there for a while, and when coming back at dark, I did not feel safe one bit.
    Queen's Park 4/10 Don't know much about it
    Sudbury 3/10 Very similar to Harrow
    Kenton 4.5/10 Regularly been through here at night, it is dodgy.
    Kilburn 4/10 Not too bad really

Hillingdon borough is all good really, I've heard Hayes can be a bit rough, but apart from that very gentle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happyfeet*)
    I'm guessing you don't live in North West London then.

It's a joke
    Nope, I'm from the SE

ReputationRep:
    Which uni? :awesome:
    UCL It's a shared room though :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Kentish Town is fantasmic. Mainly because it's quieter than Camden but just next to it and council estates that touch it lower rent prices a bit. If I become a full-time Londoner after uni, that's where I'll be going back to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sc0307)
    I seriously don't understand why you're talking like that...oh well
    A sense of humour Fail.

ReputationRep:
    not my sort of humour thanks...

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously considering moving to London next year. I'd love to live near Camden, but I hear it's now a lot more expensive than it used to be. I've had a look at Gumtree but London is so huge I don't know where to start.

I don't mind living in a slightly less desirable area, I just want an adventure and want to move to London. Can anyone suggest anywhere?

EDIT: Btw my budget is the bare minimum. No more than £100 pw if possible.
    First thing: forget Gumtree and go on spareroom.co.uk - you will lose considerably less of your sanity that way.

Second thing: I am not going to bother reading the whole thread (so I may have missed something) but you need to be clear on what you want from the place.

Some points to consider:

1. The further away from the centre, the nicer a place you can get for your money.

2. West London is boring.

3. Shoreditch and Hackney are fun, but full of posers too. Still - wouldn't rule it out.

4. Nowhere is 'unliveable' - you'll get people saying you have to avoid Brixton, Peckham, Elephant and Castle, etc. but actually they are some of the coolest places to live (and yes, I am white and middle class).

5. Don't live in Clapham.

That's about it. Want more advice, then quote me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously considering moving to London next year. I'd love to live near Camden, but I hear it's now a lot more expensive than it used to be. I've had a look at Gumtree but London is so huge I don't know where to start.

I don't mind living in a slightly less desirable area, I just want an adventure and want to move to London. Can anyone suggest anywhere?

EDIT: Btw my budget is the bare minimum. No more than £100 pw if possible.
    London? :eek:

Are you really sure you want to move there? I hear it can be quite lonely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Kentish Town is fantasmic. Mainly because it's quieter than Camden but just next to it and council estates that touch it lower rent prices a bit. If I become a full-time Londoner after uni, that's where I'll be going back to.
    Really? I don't meant to sound offensive but the area surrouding the HMV forum is pretty grim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tufc)
    Right, I detect a bit of trolling in this thread. Here's my guide for areas that aren't rough, rated out of 10 (10 basically being Baghdad, 1 being Tunbridge Wells)

I'll do all the areas in NW, and a few others as well.

Harrow - 2.5/10 (very varying though. Areas of Harrow like Wealdstone, there are gangs of Somalians that roam the streets at night, and will chase and stab you for the tenner in your pocket - believe me it happened to a mate of mine. However, nice areas like the one I live in, are fantastic. In my area, there is basically no crime, and there hasn't been a murder for years on end.)
    Hillingdon - 2/10 Very expensive
    Harlesden - 7/10 I was in a practice studio a few weeks ago towards Acton and I chatting to the guy who worked there about the local area. He said to me "If you, as a white guy, go there at night, you WILL get stabbed. Obv I'm not just basing it on that, it is generally known to be quite a rough, deprived area.
    Stonebridge 5/10. I know there are a few quite nasty gangs round here. It's not a great place to be, and I think it's had its fair share of murders/shootings/stabbings.
    Willesden 5/10 Fairly similar to Stonebridge
    Acton 4/10 Not particularly nice, but not serious
    Wembley 3/10 reasonably safe, as it's quite busy, but you're still gonna be looking over your shoulder a lot at night.
    Neasden 6/10 Known to be a gang area, and quite violent. I worked part time there for a while, and when coming back at dark, I did not feel safe one bit.
    Queen's Park 4/10 Don't know much about it
    Sudbury 3/10 Very similar to Harrow
    Kenton 4.5/10 Regularly been through here at night, it is dodgy.
    Kilburn 4/10 Not too bad really

Hillingdon borough is all good really, I've heard Hayes can be a bit rough, but apart from that very gentle.

I live in Harlesden and its not as bad as it used to be. Obviously there is above average crime but I definitely dont think you'll get stabbed for just being white cos theres loads of Irish and Eastern Europeans these days. If you stay outta trouble, usually it's all good. I think that bre was just trying to get you shook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    Really? I don't meant to sound offensive but the area surrouding the HMV forum is pretty grim.
    Do you kid? It's paradise compared to other bits.

ReputationRep:
    For £200 you can get a one bed flat in areas like East Dulwich (train line and buses), or a studio somewhere like Shepherd's Bush/Olympia. (I'm paying £180 in ED for the 1 bed, and paid £170 in SB for the studio). But if you live in SB you got to be careful not to spend all your money in Westfield.

Sharing, budget £120-140 for areas like Camden/Kentish Town, Hammersmith/Barons Court, Shoreditch. I paid £125 in Hammersmith for a shared place, but that was a few years ago now so prices may have risen.

(Original post by pamelaa)
    London? :eek:

Are you really sure you want to move there? I hear it can be quite lonely.
    Depends entirely on whether plan A goes tits up or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.