Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls and Guys (and any others also) Has real feminism died? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krov)
    The pizza I just ate was a construct. Does that mean I'll loose weight ?
    The word "construct" is used when you have no bloody idea what you are talking about.

I suppose you are in an University. Go to the medical department. Ask a neurology professor. Ask him about differences between men and women, brainwise. Prepare yourself for a shocker, honey.

Conclusion : Science > Pseudo-science.
    Humanity, you're welcome.
    I have no interest in science, and I'm not pretending that any of my arguments have anything to do with science. This isn't 'pseudo-science' at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Physically, men and women are obviously different. It would be ridiculous of my to try and deny that men and women have different sexual organs. But that's pretty much where I think the 'innate characteristics' end.
    Science would disagree with you on that point. Consider post #58, for one aspect out of many.

Edit:
    I have no interest in science, and I'm not pretending that any of my arguments have anything to do with science. This isn't 'pseudo-science' at all.
    Wow. So what are your arguments based on, if anything?
    Also, if you don't understand science and don't seek to learn, how do you expect to avoid becoming a mouthpiece for pseudo-science?

ReputationRep:
    Ladies and gentlemen, observe the above, for it is a demonstration why feminism is still necessary, and why it still exists.
    I thought it was a pretty ****ing good post tbh... Are you not even going to articulate a response to his points? YOu can't force a society to change its mind you know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    blah blah blah
    I asked for credible proof, not expanded BS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris12002)
    In the kitchen?
    :awesome:
    This would be funny if it hadn't been said by many men who were attempting to be witty, therefore this comment is entirely unoriginal.

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to patronise you but I just don't think you'd get it. If you're actually interested then read the first chapter of 'Gender Studies' by Judith Butler (it's seminal).

Physically, men and women are obviously different. It would be ridiculous of my to try and deny that men and women have different sexual organs. But that's pretty much where I think the 'innate characteristics' end.

Well, firstly, that's not what we've been arguing at all, is it? If you want to go down the 'are men and women equal' road then have a look at some of my other posts in this thread. But we're not arguing about that- you're saying that gender roles aren't constructed. I'm saying they are, and the fact that they vary so much proves this. Let's stick to this issue.
    That bit in bold is a load of *******s though isn't it? A women brain IS different to a mans. Multiple studies have shown women to not do as well on single, one hit tests against prolonged coursework for example. And similar studies have shown women specialize in general better with subjects like English better than Mathematics... Its just statistics honey, of course there are people who defy the rule, but this is in general.

ReputationRep:
    BANG goes your argument. You have no interest in the fact that there ARE differences in the two genders brain..

Science = Reality in this case...

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a pretty ****ing good post tbh... Are you not even going to articulate a response to his points? YOu can't force a society to change its mind you know...
    Seriously? It was a ridiculously offensive, misogynist post. Have you ever been on one of those neo-fascism websites cos you're curious to read what they write on their forums about black people/jews etc? And they make such ridiculous points that you're almost tempted to point out how obviously wrong you are. But you don't, because their arguments are so far-fetched and offensive and they're so stubborn that there would be no point? That's my reasoning behind not responding to that guy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellim)
    I asked for credible proof, not expanded BS.
    Case in point, you can't articulate against my points and thereby resort to childish quotations and ignorance. Well done, you are just perpetuating the argument against you. :clap:

ReputationRep:
    One dismisses my evidence because she "has no interest in science".
    The other has another mind-blowing rebuttal : "it's BS".

My turn :

Back to the kitchen ladies, sandwiches don't spontaneously appear out of thin air.

ReputationRep:
    BANG goes your argument. You have no interest in the fact that there ARE differences in the two genders brain..

Science = Reality in this case...
    Now you're confused about what gender means.

ReputationRep:
    Because absolutely nothing you say is based on RATIONALIZED EVIDENCE.

No statistical evidence has shown blacks have differently formed brains to whites. And same with sexuality. However GENDER has...

ReputationRep:
    That bit in bold is a load of *******s though isn't it? A women brain IS different to a mans. Multiple studies have shown women to not do as well on single, one hit tests against prolonged coursework for example. And similar studies have shown women specialize in general better with subjects like English better than Mathematics... Its just statistics honey, of course there are people who defy the rule, but this is in general.
    I'm sure these statistics exist. Proving that this is innate is completely different, and much more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? It was a ridiculously offensive, misogynist post. Have you ever been on one of those neo-fascism websites cos you're curious to read what they write on their forums about black people/jews etc? And they make such ridiculous points that you're almost tempted to point out how obviously wrong you are. But you don't, because their arguments are so far-fetched and offensive and they're so stubborn that there would be no point? That's my reasoning behind not responding to that guy.
    Keep crying instead of answering with actual arguments. And thanks for comparing me to a nazi, it's very endearing, and VERY ORIGINAL TOO

ReputationRep:
    uwut?

umad bro?

ReputationRep:
    Now you're confused about what gender means.
    Don't be pedantic.
    You've completely ignored the point of his (and various other) posts, in that you yourself stated that your argument is not based on science.
    As far as I'm concerned, that just suggests that you're making it up as you go along.

ReputationRep:
    Not trying to patronise you but I just don't think you'd get it. If you're actually interested then read the first chapter of 'Gender Studies' by Judith Butler (it's seminal).

Well, firstly, that's not what we've been arguing at all, is it? If you want to go down the 'are men and women equal' road then have a look at some of my other posts in this thread. But we're not arguing about that- you're saying that gender roles aren't constructed. I'm saying they are, and the fact that they vary so much proves this. Let's stick to this issue.
    As I've said before, I'm no expert on biology, but that's not where the physical differences end. The sexual organs aren't just different aesthetically, they serve different purposes. The male testes and female ovaries produce different hormones that alter our characteristics, and as we have no real control over this hormone release, this is an innate process. As such, that is not where the innate characteristics end at all. This is coming from a basic grasp of GCSE Biology, I'm sure a biologist or a neuroscientist could explain in much greater detail these differences (see the link that was posted a few posts ago).

You need to re-read my old posts - I have never said that gender roles are not constructed. Seeing as gender is a construct, the roles that accompany it clearly are. But what I am saying is that these constructs are far from negative, and occur naturally as a result of the biological differences between men and women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)
    Science would disagree with you on that point. Consider post #58, for one aspect out of many.

Edit:

Wow. So what are your arguments based on, if anything?
    Also, if you don't understand science and don't seek to learn, how do you expect to avoid becoming a mouthpiece for pseudo-science?
    Er, the school of humanities? Reason, critical theory? Feminism has very little to do with science.

Why would I become a mouthpiece for pseudo science? My argument has nothing to do with science.

ReputationRep:
    Because like Krov has said, it is a genetic fact that different configurations are hardwired into males and females. Females are more responsive to emotion, have more rapid hormonal responses, more mature hormonal development and the two sides of the brain communicate much better with each other in a female.

In a male the Cerebrum and certain parts of the neocortex are more developed and hormonal responses when triggered are far more powerful, whether they be detrimental to the individual or not.

These are FACTS. Not disputable.

ReputationRep:
    For God's sake, stop hiding behind semantics. I've argued with scholars, I'm an intellectual myself. Piece of advice : hiding behind semantics is a shameful behavior that nullifies any credibility you might have had (you have none atm by the way). I'm sure you aspire to be an innovative sociologist one day, it's pretty damn compromised if you keep doing this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.