Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    :yes: It was closed yesterday and today. But seeing the amount of snow we have (I think its about 12 inches now, and its been snowing again today :eek:) I don't see our school opening any time soon. We've never had this much snow before!

ReputationRep:
    Less than 1cm of snow here, but the roads are just crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxCBxX)
    Luckily I had boots
    I should wear mine tomorrow, it'll probably get worse! :pinch:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Jeez, where are you people? Here in Coventry we have like .5cm of snow that's actually stuck (though my boyfriend assures me there was more at 6am).

*dresses up warmly for uni*
    lol there was a similar amount of snow on the ground last year in Coventry, but it didn't stop the library closing due to 'adverse weather conditions'.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they'll be closed all week. I know someone who works in the council and they say that there's about a 70% chance they'll remain closed. Something to do with a lack of grit on roads. Personally I don't have a huge problem getting to school, but I'm by no means complaining

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Our college closed yesterday for the first time in 20 years, but only in the afternoon. They said it was open normally and wanted everyone there, without looking at the bigger picture and noticing that bus services were suspended. I got in for 9:10, got asked why I was late (massive traffic, even though I left earlier) and got asked where everyone else was since there were only 3 people in my class. They expected it to be a normal day in 25cm of snow which is a bit delusional. By break everyone who was there was signing out (in fact, in the signing out register, there were 50+ entries of 'SNOW' under the 'Reason' column) and by lunch there weren't enough students in college to continue the day. I left at break.

This morning the weather is similar but the buses are a bit better but even so, most people from out of the town haven't showed up. I've stayed at home because the traffic was disasterous on the way in, so I turned around at 8:50 7 miles away as I would miss first lesson which is the most important of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jarlsberg)
    Apparently they'll be closed all week. I know someone who works in the council and they say that there's about a 70% chance they'll remain closed. Something to do with a lack of grit on roads. Personally I don't have a huge problem getting to school, but I'm by no means complaining
    Really, that's interesting I keep trying to go on the council website but its not working. Must be a lot of traffic.

ReputationRep:
    just got the news school is closed tomorrow too
    :danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma363)
    just got the news school is closed tomorrow too
    :danceboy:
    Just been confirmed ours in open tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    There's only like a cm or two of snow so it's still open .
    It's so freezing walking home in a skirt .
    A girl in my year got a Friday night detention for going in with jeans under her skirt ;O(everyone was doing it last year and the school even said it was allowed on the intercom thing)!
    It's forecasted to snow again though tonight.
    http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/educati...ures/index.asp
    Says that some schools in Lancashire are closed due to adverse weather conditions but I'm gonna assume that's 'cause of rain 'cause the snow really isn't that bad. Though I was close to falling over a few times on the way back with it being so slippery :P.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    My secondary school only closed twice for snow in the entire time I went there. The first was in Year 8, and it was only for a day or so. The second was last year, but that time it closed for nearly a week, because they couldn't get gritters in on time.
    Looking at my old school's website, they've not closed yet. Not surprising to be honest, we once had to play rounders in the snow. Now THAT was a fun day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    A girl in my year got a Friday night detention for going in with jeans under her skirt ;O
    How strict is your school? :O

(Original post by sandys1000)
    Just been confirmed ours in open tomorrow
    There's still hope!
    normally i'd want school to be open to see people but i'm missing all the things I hate today and tomorrow: work experience, assembley, critical thinking and a mock exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma363)
    How strict is your school? :O
    It's not actually that strict tbh. It's just there's some really pathetic and bureaucratic senior members of staff there that will give anyone a detention for any reason they can think of when they're in a bad mood . Like this girl got a detention for wearing her coat inside of the school between lessons and she asked 'Why can I not wear it?' and they said that if there was a fire alarm people would be too busy getting their coats to leave. It's like, wtf, that makes no sense(we're allowed to take coats to school, they've just got to be in a bag or locker).
    I got a detention once for taking a photo of my friend with my phone 'cause I was adding her number and it asked for a picture, and in the canteen there was probably around 15 other people using their phones, then a teacher comes up to me, takes my phone and gives me a Friday night 'cause you're not allowed to take pictures of other students. Like wtf?
    What irritates me the most is that there's people who'll take cameras and crap into PE changing rooms and no one gives a ****, but personally I think that in changing rooms it takes it too far.
    Sorry, random rant LOL.
    EMZ=]
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andrew Mooney)
    lol there was a similar amount of snow on the ground last year in Coventry, but it didn't stop the library closing due to 'adverse weather conditions'.
    I definitely do not remember the library closing last year

ReputationRep:
    I wish. Our chemistry teacher lights bunsen burners to help keep us warm

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but that's due to the fact that it didn't snow properly until last night. Well, I say properly, but the "snow" barely covered grass, none of the 8 inches or so that the North are reported to be getting. The mini-snowball fight at break was fun though.

My school is really good for closing, it doesn't take much for them to say "go home". I might use the old "my bus didn't turn up" excuse tomorrow in order to get a day off. My first bus drove at walking pace this morning so it was quite a dull journey.

ReputationRep:
    College was open today. It's only lke 1 inch here, quite a lot of primary schools are closed though, which is ridiculous because it's so not bad. Schools closing at every sight of snow......

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to go in but I have medical condition known as Ceebs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emor)
    It's not actually that strict tbh. It's just there's some really pathetic and bureaucratic senior members of staff there that will give anyone a detention for any reason they can think of when they're in a bad mood . Like this girl got a detention for wearing her coat inside of the school between lessons and she asked 'Why can I not wear it?' and they said that if there was a fire alarm people would be too busy getting their coats to leave. It's like, wtf, that makes no sense(we're allowed to take coats to school, they've just got to be in a bag or locker).
    I got a detention once for taking a photo of my friend with my phone 'cause I was adding her number and it asked for a picture, and in the canteen there was probably around 15 other people using their phones, then a teacher comes up to me, takes my phone and gives me a Friday night 'cause you're not allowed to take pictures of other students. Like wtf?
    What irritates me the most is that there's people who'll take cameras and crap into PE changing rooms and no one gives a ****, but personally I think that in changing rooms it takes it too far.
    Sorry, random rant LOL.
    EMZ=]
    Haha i know what you mean about some teachers!
    In year 9 I was messing about with my phone (though got told to put it away twice respectively) and took a picture of someone (y'know as you do pratting around) and he told the teacher who then called oncall and then I had the deputy head telling me i could get excluded from school because it's a violation taking pictures of people in school without their permission :lol:
    whereas other teacher wouldn't take any notice

ReputationRep:
    Still lectures in aberdeen, shame for the people whose cars have 3ft of dirty snow/ice banked around them thanks to the snow plows on the roads. It's not the driving that's the problem, it's gettign parked somewhere which doesn't have heaps of snow surrounding it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.