Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larrabee)
    As for not being able to get to interviews without them. There are these things called public transport and maps. Lots of people get about every day without outside help!

I hardly think it's about not physically being able to get there. Interviews are stressful enough experiences without having to panic yourself over driving/catching trains/buses/e.t.c, especially if you've never even been to the place before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OreoLover)
    I hardly think it's about not physically being able to get there. Interviews are stressful enough experiences without having to panic yourself over driving/catching trains/buses/e.t.c, especially if you've never even been to the place before.
    If possible, trial runs are a great idea, as is leaving plenty of extra time in case of delays.

Trust me, plenty of people have managed it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    I have an interview with Queen Mary next week and was wondering whether I should go with my mum or not....
    She can come with you, but judging by how your mom behaves, its not a good idea because she wont console you too much if she will show emotions like that...

You cant have anyone in the interview room with you. Its like going to the exams with a text book that you wont use.

ReputationRep:
    I went on my own to an interview and I was literally the only person there without a parent with me. After this I had another interview and so I let my mum come with me that time and I was one of the only people there with a parent.

ReputationRep:
    If possible, trial runs are a great idea, as is leaving plenty of extra time in case of delays.

We don't all have the money to waste it on fruitless trips to places that might be on the other side of the country.

Plus, you could live in the middle of nowhere or your university might be in the middle of nowhere, with without a transport link between the two that won't take you many, many hours to traverse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    We don't all have the money to waste it on fruitless trips to places that might be on the other side of the country.

Plus, you could live in the middle of nowhere or your university might be in the middle of nowhere, with without a transport link between the two that won't take you many, many hours to traverse.

OR leaving plenty of time.

Getting a lift from someone might be the best or only way to get to a uni interview sometimes, that's true, fair enough.

But you know, you'll have to cope on your own sooner or later...

ReputationRep:
    OR leaving plenty of time.

Getting a lift from someone might be the best or only way to get to a uni interview sometimes, that's true, fair enough.

But you know, you'll have to cope on your own sooner or later...
    I visited a uni that is a two hour car drive or a ten hour train journey (and that's if you could do it back to back; factor in waiting and it becomes more like twelve hours) - a rather unreasonable time for somewhere that you might have a brief look at and decide you never want to see it again.

ReputationRep:
    I visited a uni that is a two hour car drive or a ten hour train journey (and that's if you could do it back to back; factor in waiting and it becomes more like twelve hours) - a rather unreasonable time for somewhere that you might have a brief look at and decide you never want to see it again.
    Have you considered learning to drive?

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered learning to drive?
    Medically unable to.

ReputationRep:
    Medically unable to.
    That's unlucky, but unfortunately it means you'll have to get used to using public transport, as an adult you can't always rely on someone being there to drive you around.

Are you aware that lots of councils/travel companies give discounts or free passes to people in your position?

ReputationRep:
    That's unlucky, but unfortunately it means you'll have to get used to using public transport, as an adult you can't always rely on someone being there to drive you around.

Are you aware that lots of councils/travel companies give discounts or free passes to people in your position?
    Using public transport's fine, been doing it for years. Difference is, you usually only have need to travel in your area which is an hour or two at most - not ideal for somewhere it would take twenty minutes to drive to, but not awful. Ten to twelve hours to get somewhere that you have a willing person to drive you to in two hours is a rather ridiculous journey to undertake just to prove that you can do it.

I didn't know that, but thanks for the heads up.

ReputationRep:
    I've got an interview on Tuesday at Cambridge & an Introductory Day at UCL on Friday.
    My Mum's taking me to Cambridge & both my parents want to come on Friday to UCL.. they're interested to see what the unis are like & obviously want to be there to support me.
    I don't feel like I NEED them there but if they want to come, why not? I highly doubt any uni will make its decision on whether or not to offer me a place based on who comes with me to the interview/visit day!

TAKE HER!

ReputationRep:
    I went with both my daughters to their Oxford interviews in 2007 and 2009. The deal was that I kept right out of the way and did stuff I wanted and needed to do but that they could ring if they wanted to meet up for a cup of tea or whatever, it was entirely up to them. They both chose to ring after each interview and said later that it was good to have me around because the atmosphere in colleges can get really oppressive, with other candidates stressing and asking questions about what the interview was like etc. etc. They also had time with other applicants and ate their meals in college. Anyone in Oxford at interview time will notice plenty of parents! I'm going again with the third daughter and will do exactly the same, makes travel easier for her and whether she sees me during the process is a matter for her.

ReputationRep:

I totally agree that trial runs are a great idea, but for some people they're just not practical as they can be really expensive

I don't doubt that it can be done. In fact, it's pretty obvious that people can manage it. I just think if you can get someone to take you it takes a bit of a weight off your mind. One less thing to worry about so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AskMeAnything)
    Of course she can't bloody come in with you. Do you have absolutely no common sense?
    you must be a delightful person in real life.

ReputationRep:
    Take her to interview.. everyone goes with their parents.... but she doesnt come into the interview itself with you... thats you and the interviewer only

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.