Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Race row after woman told she is 'too dark' to be a Hobbit Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I almost went to the media when I was rejected from playing in "Slumdog Millionaire" They didn't let me play an Indian extra. Just because I'm a pasty Norwegian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Exactly- it's like at the auditions in London for Luna Lovegood (Harry Potter) they were looking for an extremely pale, blond, slim girl, and about half the girls in the queue were tanned/ black/ asian/ obese and so on. It doesn't work like that...
    I'm loving the idea of an obese, Asian Luna Lovegood. Swinging away at Wrackspurts with a huge flabby arm...

I'm so racist

ReputationRep:
    I would genuinely LOVE too see a black James Bond! I think the dude off of Spooks would rock it.

Edit: Why on earth did that get a neg rep ? Racccccccciiiiiissssssssttttttzz zzzz!!!1111!

ReputationRep:
    lulz. Dear lord.

ReputationRep:
    This woman got a person sacked. I dislike her even more now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Article.

Although I don't necessarily agree with the casting team issuing an outright blanket ban on extras who are not pale-skinned, I find her comments so inane. It just seems that as she failed to meet the appearance requirements and didn't get what she wanted, she is dropping the racism card.

The film industry should be entitled to discriminate on the basis of appearance to reasonably cast appropriately for a role.
    It occurs to me, would I have grounds to complain about racism had I auditioned for the role of a Zulu warrior in a new movie about the Zulu war?

Agreed though, sounds like sour grapes.

ReputationRep:
    If I can recall from the third movie, there were men who had an exotic, Arab appearance (rode on the massive elephants).

Would there be a problem if a pale, red-haired, blue-eyed woman was turned down from this role?

ReputationRep:
    That is like a white guy complaining that he got turned away from a film for a role playing Barack Obama.

Personally, I think this women should be made to pay compensation for defamation.

It's like when they had black people in Robin Hood.

ReputationRep:
      If she's that desperate for the role, no-one's stopping her from having plastic surgery.

Stupid woman.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by 'James Hunt')
      Because Lord of The Rings/Hobbit is a mythical tale then i would say yes, it outragous.

Unless your doing a historical film which you try to portray as accurate then maybe it's somewhat justified ie: Clint Eastwood's 'Flags of Our Fathers' & 'Letters From Iwo Jima'.
      It's irrelevant whether it's fiction or not, The Hobbit adheres to a strict canon. Tolkien was quite implicit in Middle Earth's roots in Anglo-Saxon, Northern European lore. The only major exception being Umbar, where the inhabitants have darker features and darker skin.

I don't think that just because something is fiction means that the casting team must be more politically correct in their choices, where they wouldn't be if it was mirroring historical fact - unless the fiction gives them acceptable leeway to do that. Certain works of fiction allow this, but I don't think it is appropriate in this case.

ReputationRep:
      If I can recall from the third movie, there were men who had an exotic, South Asian and Arab appearance (rode on the massive elephants).

Would there be a problem if a pale, red-haired, blue-eyed woman was turned down from this role?
      There isn't really a problem right now though, I think most people think it's daft.

ReputationRep:
      Lol I love how it says she's 5ft, as if that is a) a dwarfed height that b) is definitely enough to ensure you look like the perfect hobbit. I agree with the directors, if she doesn't fit the bill, then she doesn't. Acting is based a lot on looks. However they should have mentioned it on the flyer or adverts so that nobody travelled only to be turned down.

ReputationRep:
      so anoying, i am a massive tolkien fan and they simply cant be a black hobbit, why must they wreck everything, its like having a black elf- haha. it would completly contradict tolkiens epic world.

ReputationRep:
      I was once told I was too dark to play baby spice when my friends and I were playing Spice Girls.

Well, to be honest, the elves in LOTR are all white, blonde, well spoken and beautiful, kind of Aryan, whereas the Orcs are all black, working class commoners. Pattern?

Not necessarily adding anything to the thread but still..

ReputationRep:
      urm...I think the idea is hobbits were pale skinned...so...you cast for pale skinned folk.

A bit like a skinny white guy getting pissed off when they turn him down when casting for a "muscular black man". You don't meet the brief, how do you expect do get the part?

You know what I want to be a head engineer in a nuclear power plant! Oh...what the hell!? Apparently they won't let me in with just having A-levels and no experience!? Pfft it's cos im white...

ReputationRep:
      Lol why is this racist? It's like someone really tall being turned down to play a Hobbit.
      I just don't get, hobbits aren't meant to be tall, or dark.

Im brown btw

ReputationRep:
      she is dropping the racism card.
      Ahhhhh The card loved by every 'Ethnic' in this country.

ReputationRep:
      How would you crackers feel if someone said 'You're too white to.......'?

ReputationRep:
      That lady sounds racist. Ive had enough of all this left wing rubbish on multiculturalism and respecting all cultures when non whites play the racism card so much and get priority in developed nations.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.