Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

women, what would be the age you would expect to have first and last kids, ideally ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Sorry to break this to you, but you study English at university; you are no longer working class. Nevertheless, I come from an underclass background and I am having a baby next year so I would be interested to know why you feel like you know better than me.
    What. I am most definitely working class too and at a good uni, but believe me am not out of the working class yet, especially with my lovely pile of debt to pay off. Working class isn't just defined by attitude and lots of people want to escape it and better themselves, which is what we are doing.

I for one would never have a child if I knew it would have the same upbringing as I did. I love my parents to bits but they really couldn't afford to have me when they did and my childhood suffered because of it.

ReputationRep:
    Those who want a baby in their early 20's, do you have a man doe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Those who want a baby in their early 20's, do you have a man doe?
    Is early twenties under twenty five?

ReputationRep:
    I had my first at 23. I would ideally like to have one or two more, before the age of 30. As I am now single, and I am 24 and won't be done with education until I'm about 28 at the earliest and then will want to be settled in a job, that's not going to happen. I suppose I'll pop a couple out close to each other in my early 30s now.

ReputationRep:
    first around 25
    last around 28

Unfortunately early menopause runs in my family so don't have much choice in the matter.

ReputationRep:
    First - Around 30
    Last - About 36

ReputationRep:
    30 or so.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the upper class argument for now and, if it makes things easier, the definition of a lifestyle choice too.

The working class is defined - typically - by the wage they earn. Because of the wage they earn they will never own a house, and will live in council/social housing for the majority of their lives. Because they can never own a house they do not see having a child as a negative thing; they are satisfied with having any roof over their head. Likewise, a working-class girl who has a child at 18 does not feel as if she has missed out on higher education, because she almost certainly was not considering it in the first place; her parents did not go, they have no aspirations for her to go and they do not see that she is negatively affecting her future earning potential - she will have to work (if she works), by in large, in dead-end minimum wage jobs for the rest of her life.

The middle classes are more financially independent; more money means more choice and freedom in a capitalist society. By having a child too early the middle class often feel that they are negatively impacting their potential to earn (i.e. limiting their freedom), especially women for obvious reasons. In a lot of cases this is actually true (unfortunately), but the middle class do not appreciate the fact that having a 'negative choice' (child when they are younger but lower wage against child when they are older and higher wage) is still better than the working class option. Notice how many of the girls on this thread want to have a child later, because it means they can enjoy themselves, build a career and hopefully own a home.
    This is not true at all
    I'm working class as in grew up in council estate/house, lived on £100p/w household income, I'm the first person in my family to go to university etc etc and I certainly can own a house when I'm older(or even now if I had a deposit) and would feel like I was missing out if I had a child now at 18.
    And the vast majority of other working class people I know are the same.

You make it sound like all working class people never aspire to earn more money/have a better lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    Estimate. I'm curious, it's for personal/research purposes.
    i dont think i'd ever want kids but i will contribute to this to help.

for example my mum had my brother at 24 and then had my little sister at 40.
    but my sister (on my dads side) had her first at 17/18 and her next and probelly last at 20. so i guess it depends on the situation at the time. lol.
    hope this helped x

ReputationRep:
    24/25 - first
    last by 30

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chelle-belle)
    Is early twenties under twenty five?
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chillaxer)
    I was intrigued. Just that I am a 29yrold man(clearly the age of my partner can vary up or down, though I'm told women tend to prefer to be the younger.) And a lot of studies are saying that modern western women are having kids later than they really should, it's a lifestyle privelige but in past times they had them earlier and biology dictates that they are at their reproductive peak earlier. I was astonished to find the average age of childbirth in the US is 5yrs younger than in the UK, we are at a whopping 29(.something), and they at a sprightly 24. Many women are leaving it late then shocked to see they can't do it, are more into their careers, picky about men etc apparently.

My Dad and Mum had my sis about my age and me about 36.
    out of interest, what age would YOU like to marry?

what is your ideal dating age range? do you go for fertile 24 y/o's?

in my experience, most people's peers are a similar age to themself, and most dudes age 18-35 just wana sleep around and play Xbox. only after 35 do men mature and want to settle down, marry and babies. women are forced to wait longer sine their equal aged peers are too pathetic and immature to commit to a real relationship with a future.

im 25 and generally date dudes 33+, but ideally would have married age 22 or so (no sex before marriage)

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to break this to you, but you study English at university; you are no longer working class. Nevertheless, I come from an underclass background and I am having a baby next year so I would be interested to know why you feel like you know better than me.
    I am working class.

I "am going to graduate" and I "am going to get married", does this mean I somehow know everything? Lol at you, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    First - 23
    Last - 32

ReputationRep:
    About 25-30. Pretty scary thought really...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    I am working class.

I "am going to graduate" and I "am going to get married", does this mean I somehow know everything? Lol at you, seriously.
    You are not working class. Even with education as it is at the moment, less than half of those who sit GCSEs manage to get five A*- Cs, including English and mathematics. You can delude yourself all you want, but going to university separates your from your (working-class) peers - it is as simple as that.

It is obvious that you do not know everything, but I am not sure what your graduation or marriage has to do with the point I raised... Like your previous comment, it borders on the irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    First 26, last 33 - ideally, given that I have three. I'd love to be done by 31 at the latest. I will have a career and all, but I don't really want to wait too long, I'm not going to push it ahead of me to be the ultimate businesswoman - I'd rather be back at work quite soon. And I don't want to be an older mom or have too many years between each child. Plus the health risks for the child, which would be greater, the older I am.

ReputationRep:
    You are not working class. Even with education as it is at the moment, less than half of those who sit GCSEs manage to get five A*- Cs, including English and mathematics. You can delude yourself all you want, but going to university separates your from your (working-class) peers - it is as simple as that.
    Funny, several here seem to disagree with you. I am working class. You know nothing about my background and have no authority to say what class anyone else is...I really don't care what you think, because you are wrong.

It is obvious that you do not know everything, but I am not sure what your graduation or marriage has to do with the point I raised... Like your previous comment, it borders on the irrelevant.
    "I'm going to have a baby next year"...erm, okay? That makes you know approximately jack **** more than any other non-parent on the issue, same as just because I'm "going to get married" it doesn't mean that I know more than anyone else about getting married.

ReputationRep:
    You can tell those who have replied so far are middle class...
    What makes you say that

1st - 25ish
    2nd - aiming to adopt so around 30ish or possibly later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Funny, several here seem to disagree with you. I am working class. You know nothing about my background and have no authority to say what class anyone else is...I really don't care what you think, because you are wrong.

"I'm going to have a baby next year"...erm, okay? That makes you know approximately jack **** more than any other non-parent on the issue, same as just because I'm "going to get married" it doesn't mean that I know more than anyone else about getting married.
    The people who have disagreed with me all have two things in common: they claim that they are working class because their parents are, and they all attend university.

The first is an illogical and ridiculous suggestion (if my mother was racist does that make me racist?). It would be laughable if were not so tragic; class-consciousness running backwards. The second suggestion is the main issue for you. You deny that going to university makes you middle class. I disagree with you. The government disagrees with you. Society disagrees with you. History disagrees with you. But you know what? I clearly do not know your background so I must be wrong, right?

Your second paragraph is nonsense; the thread is about a parenting issue you cretin.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.