Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there a definitive way to establish if you're dreaming or awake? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that if you're having a lucid dream, the way to tell is to try and turn a light on. Apparently you can't switch lights on in dreams.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you could tell for a non-lucid dream. Dreams are believed to be fragments of jumbled of memories streaming through, which your brain tries to interpret in the same way it interprets while conscious (hence why you report dreams as having a plot). No matter how ridiculous the situation you would still believe that was real.

As for the simulation idea, quite frankly I don't see why it would matter even if we were living in a simulation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whythehellnot)
    Yet you've made no attempt to enrich our understanding of the subject. It may well be stupid, perhaps even pointless, but I can't see why we wouldn't take it seriously. If, like many people, you think our senses are the main source of knowledge, then this thought experiment brings into question all knowledge ascertained through sense experience. How is this not to be taken seriously? :confused:
    Because if everything is a dream then all meaningful conclusions we draw in life (relationships, the Laws of Physics etc..) are part of this huge dream as well. And as I only live in the dream, my "sense experiences" in this dream are the only ones that matter so why bother considering this other reality?

There are all manner of crazy possibilities in life but only a finite amount of time; this one is so crazy that it's not really worth thinking about.

ReputationRep:
    I often have dreams in which I remember I've had the dream before (regardless of whether I had or not) and proceeded to tell those around me not to worry because it is, in fact, a dream. This is usually then followed by me attempting to wake myself up as a crocodile tries to get in through my bedroom window. :-/
    We discussed this a lot in Philosophy lessons to avoid any actual work and the argument was put forward that maybe there isn't even an 'awake' state. We could all be living in a constant dream state, individually creating our lives around us. Total mind f*ck. Man I loved those philosophy lessons! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayK)
    Not sure if i understand exactly what you mean or whether this may be of any relevance: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_d...eality_testing
    Actually, for me it is more about seeing some logical breach. For instance, I may suddenly realise that I can't be at school, because it's Saturday. Sometimes I also recognise the way the mind works during sleep. The section above what you quoted is what I do with the breathing excercise I was reffering too. The state between being awake and being asleep is amazing, every thought is projected with clear images. The process of going from that state to sleep differs, sometimes you realise it immediately, sometimes you just remember that you in fact were trying to sleep just a couple of minutes ago.

Anyhow, I would really reccomend learning lucid dreaming. It is an amazing experience, and really, practice is the only way to know if you are dreaming. Not feeling pain is a myth, and most anomalies is only recognizable if you are trained in looking for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis :D)
    I know this is weird but I can tell when I'm in a dream, everything is confusing and nothing is easy to do.
    Jeez, I get like this when I'm awake!

OP: I think the general rule is that you are aware of your consciousness when awake, although you are unaware of your unconsciousness when you're asleep.

ReputationRep:
    anyone heard of disassociative disorder?

its the feeling that everything feels unreal and that you are in a dream, i used to have it, its not as cool as you think, its pretty unpleasant actually. It can occur for different reasons, sometimes in can occur with people who have pro-longed depression, they have depression for so long that their body defends itself from feeling the pain of the depression by completely dulling all the senses and making the world feel far away, hence why it feels like life is like a dream. Its like becoming vegetated emotionally.

ReputationRep:
    No, there is no way to establish you are not dreaming.

All I can say is that those who believe they are dreaming betray themselves with their behaviour.

Feel free to disagree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whythehellnot)
    Classic Descartes. Can you beyond a doubt tell if you're a awake as opposed to dreaming?

Perhaps there is no fool proof method for this, maybe there is. Either way, what methods could be employed (regardless of if they're fool proof) to attempt to establish if we're sleeping or not?

My friend suggested that we cannot feel pain whilst we sleep, which is where the expression "pinch me I must be dreaming" surely comes from.

Ideas?
    I thought usually there were tests like trying to push your finger through your palm.

Also trying to read a digital clock in dreams is meant to be a test too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.