Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Welsh students who go to welsh universities wont have fees increased Watch

ReputationRep:
    fml*, I'm English and studying in Wales. I will have to listen to the celebrations whilst thinking how unfair and stupid it all is for the future English students.

* but not as much as the future students' lives!

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand the fairness in that a Bulgarian student (European citizen) has a right to pay welsh level fees. While an English student, who is both a British and European citizen has to pay higher fees. Has the idea of fairness changed...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    fml*, I'm English and studying in Wales. I will have to listen to the celebrations whilst thinking how unfair and stupid it all is for the future English students.

* but not as much as the future students' lives!
    Well Wales get a budget and it uses it how it wants too. So you can't really complain when we get a budget and are allowed to use it how we want. I think we are the poorest country out of all the united kingdom anyway (forgot where I read that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    You realise all teaching quality in Welsh uni;s will now drop right?
    No it wont.

Only 20,000 people from Wales go to university each year.

http://www.cypnow.co.uk/news/ByDisci...ion/.headlinks

Just 44 per cent of the £4.16 billion annual spend on the education system in Wales goes directly to learning and teaching, a report commissioned by the Welsh Assembly has revealed.

Welsh children's minister Leighton Andrews commissioned the review in January, to examine how education funding in Wales is allocated to schools, colleges and universities.

Findings, published today in the first phase of the report undertaken by consultants Pricewaterhouse Coopers, show 44 per cent of the money is spent on teaching and learning directly, while a further 24 per cent goes towards support for education professionals, non-education services for learners and research in higher education.

The remaining 32 per cent is made up of service management, financial and general administration.

Plus, look at the fees they charge in Scotland and Edinburgh and St Andrews are still high in the league table.

Plus the fee's will still increase for English students meaning that they could easily make the money back.

Welsh student pays £3290 of £7000 course.

English student pays £9000 for a £7000 course - meaning £2000 to put back into the university.

Therefore, for every two English students they help pay the rest of the tuition fees for 1 Welsh student.

I doubt its going to be that bad but even at £8000 fees they make £1000 on every English person who goes to the university going on averages.

Now instead of being a hater, just hope that you get the same outcome. I will hope for you and I am not going to bare a grudge against you for being English. You deserve the same outcome as us totally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    I don't understand the fairness in that a Bulgarian student (European citizen) has a right to pay welsh level fees. While an English student, who is both a British and European citizen has to pay higher fees. Has the idea of fairness changed...
    The same has been true for Scotland. EU students don't pay fees if they go to a Scotish uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Are you serious? England of course.

The others would wither away and beg to join the UK again.
    No.

None of them would survive to the level they are today.

All would get hit massively.

England, Wales, Scotland and N.I are all powered by The Parliament of the United Kingdom, not one of them has sovereignty.

Scotland is not independent either. It just makes its own laws. However, still without the rest it would fail. That's the whole reason we are in the United Kingdom.

If any of the four split from the UK they would fall way below the standard of living they have today. They would change totally.

The United Kingdom is classed as a country, yet England, Wales, N.I and Scotland are not.

Hence the reason under national Olympic standards we have to compete as team GBP due to old regulations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Why should we suffer because of two English politicians?

We are Wales and therefore we should be able to make our own decisions.

I fully agree with the decision today.

Welsh Independence FTW !
    I'm all up for welsh nationalism, but really, independence? I don't think Wales would fair so well if they were truly independent, at the end of the day we are the British Isles, not England, Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland.
    Things like this will just cause rifts between the countries and make us resent eachother. Of course we all have our own national identities but as a whole we need to be one entity as we're really not very big in terms of the world.
    Our politicians are idiots, but many welsh people will have voted for them aswell as english so it's a problem we all need to deal with together.
    Fair enough the welsh gov are trying to save you from massive debt, but it's still a great travesty that being born in england should still mean you have to pay the higher fees :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by userdloat)
    I'm all up for welsh nationalism, but really, independence? I don't think Wales would fair so well if they were truly independent, at the end of the day we are the British Isles, not England, Wales, N.Ireland, Scotland.
    Things like this will just cause rifts between the countries and make us resent eachother. Of course we all have our own national identities but as a whole we need to be one entity as we're really not very big in terms of the world.
    Our politicians are idiots, but many welsh people will have voted for them aswell as english so it's a problem we all need to deal with together.
    Fair enough the welsh gov are trying to save you from massive debt, but it's still a great travesty that being born in england should still mean you have to pay the higher fees :/
    I was joking on independence.

Not one country in the UK would survive independently.

I hope the English get the same outcome, I'll still be going to protests for them.

Big Up The UK !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    In Wales, the teaching budget is being sliced by 35%, with most of that money going straight back to universities in the form of the tuition fee grant.

In England, the teaching budget is being sliced by 80%, with students being left to pay fees on their own.

So how exactly did you work that one out? My biggest worry with this policy is whether or not it will prove to be sustainable over a long period. I mean, shelling out £3,000-£6,000 per student is a big ask.

Anyway, I am really pleased (and, I have to say, surprised) to hear about this, despite my doubts. It really proves the value of devolution in Wales. I just hope this will put more pressure on the Westminster government, and maybe convince a few more Lib Dem MPs to vote against...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    I was joking on independence.

Not one country in the UK would survive independently.

I hope the English get the same outcome, I'll still be going to protests for them.

Big Up The UK !
    Ohh cool.
    Yeh, maybe we will, it's unlikely though, our government sucks, i will definitely be protesting aswell

ReputationRep:
    So we're going to have Welsh students sat next to English students, in English universities, who are paying thousands of pounds more for the same education?

This is nuts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)
    So we're going to have Welsh students sat next to English students, in English universities, who are paying thousands of pounds more for the same education?

This is nuts.
    It is a bit bizarre. I want to study in England, so I hope English people won't be spiteful about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    If Scotland, Wales, England and Northern Ireland became completely separate from each other on Jan 1st 2011, who would fare best?

I don't think Wales or NI could cope without the union. Scotland maybe could.
    Of course Wales wouldn't 'fare best'. You have to pay the higher fees, I don't. Get over it. I wish everyone would stop with this stupid competition mentality, we are all British. It's not very often that something good happens to Wales, to be fair. So let us have our f.ucking cheaper fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bektas)

This is nuts.
    I agree. A friend of mine tried to justify it by arguing no one complains about the different council taxes in the Britain. Well no of course not, because an English person who decides to take residence in an area of Scotland is not asked to pay more because they are English born! they are treated equally before the law.

What we have now is English students using the same services as their British brothers and sisters, only told to pay more. Simply because they are English born. Then every five years we get Welsh, Northern Irish and Scottish voters, having a say on English education. Despite these issues being devolved to other regions of the country. Forcing English voters to have no say on these matters beyond their own borders. Yet non English voters can influence the national government that will impose policies on devolved issues that only affect England. stupid.

To add salt to the fresh wound, European union citizens will be asked to pay lower fees in Scotland and Wales. While English students, who are both British and European citizens are told to pay more. WHAT THE HELL.

Switch English for a British black, female, gay or Christian and there will be hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    No inferiority we're a Principality. Scotland is classed as a country but Wales is classed as Principality of Wales.

EDIT: Been doing some reading on it turns out it's still called a principality by people but it has no constitutional basis. I've never heard of Wales referred to as a country before just a principality.
    Don't really want to derail the thread, but you're a bit confused...

Firstly a principality is just a form of monarchy, the head of state is a prince or princess rather than a king or queen, as it is in a kingdom. Liechtenstein is actually a principality, a principality that happens to have full UN membership... so being a principality doesn't mean you are not a country.

Secondly Wales is NOT a principality anyway! The last time we were an actual principality was during the short reign of Owain IV in the early 1400s, and before then there were many separate principalities within Wales, the title Prince of Wales only being given to the most powerful of those princes throughout history. Now the title is given to the heir to the English/British throne as has been the case since the late 1200s (Owain rebelled).

As for how you define a country, well that really is a matter of opinion. If you think Scotland is a country, then Wales certainly is also. It's not a nation state though, but that's not a pre-requisite for being a country.

*carefully places thread back on track*

ReputationRep:
    I can see one of the following happening.

1. English universities are told to block Welsh applicants

2. English students going to court on the grounds of human rights against Welsh universities for being charged more than their Welsh counterparts.

3. The Welsh Assembly are forced to go back on what they have put forward and agree to the increased fees.

4. Clegg and Cameron accepting defeat and not raising fees and putting a new method forward.

I hope its number 4 as the other 3 will cause out roar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    To add salt to the fresh wound, European union citizens will be asked to pay lower fees in Scotland and Wales. While English students, who are both British and European citizens are told to pay more. WHAT THE HELL.

Switch English for a British black, female, gay or Christian and there will be hell.
    So what happens if we open the floodgates to English students wanting to escape the high fees? There would be a mass exodus of English students to Welsh unis and our universities couldn't handle that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    But welsh students can still study in england for the same price..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curzon)
    So what happens if we open the floodgates to English students wanting to escape the high fees? There would be a mass exodus of English students to Welsh unis and our universities couldn't handle that.
    Oh right ok, so we continue to enforce unfairness because of that. Perfectly noble and just of you. :rolleyes:

No what you do is either raise the fees for the rest of British students or lower them for the English. Keeping it as it is fundamentally unjust for English people. This won't only affect students, but their parents and family too. As they struggle to help save money and pay for these fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    Well Wales get a budget and it uses it how it wants too. So you can't really complain when we get a budget and are allowed to use it how we want. I think we are the poorest country out of all the united kingdom anyway (forgot where I read that).
    I wasn't complaining about "you."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.