Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashapt)
    ive applied to LSE, UCL, York, Cardiff and RHUL, with predicted grades A*AA and AS's AAC with 100% in my History AS and im applying for History. I've just been rejected by UCL, what are my chances for the other 4????
    Hey, there's still hope for the other ones. Don't let one rejection put you off; it happens. York is excellent for history, I've heard. You stand a great chance of getting into York, and maybe even LSE. Don't fret.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    Hey, there's still hope for the other ones. Don't let one rejection put you off; it happens. York is excellent for history, I've heard. You stand a great chance of getting into York, and maybe even LSE. Don't fret.
    I think i'm just taking it hard coz everyone in school has had offers so far from UWIC, UWE, Manchester, Glamorgan, Swansea and Aberystwyth, and im the first one with a rejection :/ damnit. Hopefully Ben+Jerry's will cheer me up, it was just a blow at the end of a loooooong day (had a carcrash erlier )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natashapt)
    I think i'm just taking it hard coz everyone in school has had offers so far from UWIC, UWE, Manchester, Glamorgan, Swansea and Aberystwyth, and im the first one with a rejection :/ damnit. Hopefully Ben+Jerry's will cheer me up, it was just a blow at the end of a loooooong day (had a carcrash erlier )
    Yeah, but you're applying to much, MUCH tougher places with nonpareil competition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    Yeah, but you're applying to much, MUCH tougher places with nonpareil competition
    Haha I know, but where I come from there's such small mindedness that if I admitted a rejection, they'd see themselves as superior even though every my Uni's are much more competitive...I just didn't want to apply for a less competitive uni for the sake of going there if my others failed, if I didn't get accepted by them then I wouldn't want to go at all if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.L)
    Has anyone had this this year? I fear this is very likely to happen to me, and I would like some advice on how to cope if this happens. I know the entry requirements will probably go up next year and I won't be able to apply probably as my grades and qualifications barely meet them this year. I have thought about doing an Access course next year, but that would mean I would have to wait another two years till University atleast.

I'm just hopelessly stuck. I live in a dead end town, with no jobs or opportunties and I just want to leave and live somewhere else. Me and my parents argue non stop and I just want a fresh start somewhere else. Problem is, I'm not really qualified for anything that pays well so thus I will not be able to move out and away.
    I got 5 rejections last year and I thought it would be the end of the world... In hindsight it has turned out so much better! I have such a valuable internship, learning loads all the time, met some pretty cool people and networked loads! On top of all of this I have unconditional offers from Unis better than the 5 I didn't get into, and I am saving up to go travelling at the end of the year before uni next year. I see my friends on a regular basis and always going on nights out as much as possible too- hardly ever at home!

My advice is that if it does happen don't let get you down, it's just the beginning of something that could potentially benefit you better in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treyno)
    I got 5 rejections last year and I thought it would be the end of the world... In hindsight it has turned out so much better! I have such a valuable internship, learning loads all the time, met some pretty cool people and networked loads! On top of all of this I have unconditional offers from Unis better than the 5 I didn't get into, and I am saving up to go travelling at the end of the year before uni next year. I see my friends on a regular basis and always going on nights out as much as possible too- hardly ever at home!

My advice is that if it does happen don't let get you down, it's just the beginning of something that could potentially benefit you better in the long run.
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    I'm fearing this, I'm predicted ABC, I've applied to BBB-ABB and one AAB course. I'm sending UCAS quite late.

Should this happen, I'll probably go through clearing, but if my A-Levels end up abnormally good like AAB, I'll probably take a gap-year and re-apply to some good unis the next year. Just have to hope, there is always hope....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    I'm fearing this, I'm predicted ABC, I've applied to BBB-ABB and one AAB course. I'm sending UCAS quite late.

Should this happen, I'll probably go through clearing, but if my A-Levels end up abnormally good like AAB, I'll probably take a gap-year and re-apply to some good unis the next year. Just have to hope, there is always hope....
    And think how time goes by sooo quickly. It is already 6 months since the end of the last AS/A2 exams. In only 6 months more people will be waiting for results. If you do need a gap year to sort out going to a better uni (and therefore maximising your career opportunities) it is only 12 short months (rather than a one long year ).

To the OP keep doing your work experience. You are applying to a course that is competitive simply because you do not end up with the same big loan to pay off, but if you can prove it is what you want to do - by doing appropriate work/work experience, taking the necessary A levels or college courses, you will get there in the end. If you think that you did a poor personal statement, then get advice from the folk here in TSR by sending it in for comments. Someone else reading through and giving their advice can turn a shaky statement into something that really presents you in good light. If you really want this course and can prove that you have the ability to complete it (rather than just wanting to escape an unhappy home situation) you will get there.

ReputationRep:
    Happened to a girl at my school last year but sort of ended up being a good thing.
    She has a lot of connections with people that work backstage for TV production e.g. she worked briefly for the basil brush show costume team thing and she managed to get a job doing something like that, which she will probably enjoy more than her original course which she wasn't passionate about.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.L)
    Has anyone had this this year? I fear this is very likely to happen to me, and I would like some advice on how to cope if this happens. I know the entry requirements will probably go up next year and I won't be able to apply probably as my grades and qualifications barely meet them this year. I have thought about doing an Access course next year, but that would mean I would have to wait another two years till University atleast.

I'm just hopelessly stuck. I live in a dead end town, with no jobs or opportunties and I just want to leave and live somewhere else. Me and my parents argue non stop and I just want a fresh start somewhere else. Problem is, I'm not really qualified for anything that pays well so thus I will not be able to move out and away.
    Have you had any news yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollienbert)
    And think how time goes by sooo quickly. It is already 6 months since the end of the last AS/A2 exams. In only 6 months more people will be waiting for results. If you do need a gap year to sort out going to a better uni (and therefore maximising your career opportunities) it is only 12 short months (rather than a one long year ).

To the OP keep doing your work experience. You are applying to a course that is competitive simply because you do not end up with the same big loan to pay off, but if you can prove it is what you want to do - by doing appropriate work/work experience, taking the necessary A levels or college courses, you will get there in the end. If you think that you did a poor personal statement, then get advice from the folk here in TSR by sending it in for comments. Someone else reading through and giving their advice can turn a shaky statement into something that really presents you in good light. If you really want this course and can prove that you have the ability to complete it (rather than just wanting to escape an unhappy home situation) you will get there.
    I'm not doing it for those reasons. You still have the big loan and debts to pay off as with any other course. I've had my PS reviewed on here and that was changed for the better. I'm also planning to do an Access Course sometime this year as well. I'm enjoying my current work experience being a mental health support worker.

I do want this, not just for wanting to leave home, but it helps with that situation.

ReputationRep:
    Was greatly fearing five rejections this year after retaking, but thankfully universities do not fully comprehend the IB yet so the offers are pouring in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.L)
    I'm not doing it for those reasons. You still have the big loan and debts to pay off as with any other course. I've had my PS reviewed on here and that was changed for the better. I'm also planning to do an Access Course sometime this year as well. I'm enjoying my current work experience being a mental health support worker.

I do want this, not just for wanting to leave home, but it helps with that situation.
    I am glad that you have had your PS reviewed.

You do sound really motivated, and by doing an access course you will help get into the habit of studying so that when you get your place at Uni you will be able to make the best of it. Is your work experience paid ? It sounds like a valuable role that you are playing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollienbert)
    I am glad that you have had your PS reviewed.

You do sound really motivated, and by doing an access course you will help get into the habit of studying so that when you get your place at Uni you will be able to make the best of it. Is your work experience paid ? It sounds like a valuable role that you are playing.
    Thanks. I am motivated, but there is alot to learn about this role! I'm hoping my current job should give me some valuable knowledge about the industry as it's all connected in a way and gain life experience as well. I am enjoy it, but I get bored very easily so I'm making the most of it! I'm looking forward to doing the access course as this way I can make up for the bad grades I got at school and get the correct qualifications to be able to apply for universities. I believe once I've completed an access course, this will make eligiable to apply for most paramedic courses, and if I change my mind, other healthcare courses as well

ReputationRep:
    I am a registered sex offender?

Do I need to tell UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    I am a registered sex offender?

Do I need to tell UCAS?
    I am sure that you know the answer to your question.

Are trolls not automatically known to UCAS as registered sex offenders?

ReputationRep:
    First rejection today. Not surprised in the least. Knew from the moment I got the email.

It's not the end of the world if I do end up getting five rejections. I've applied for an access course later this year anyway. This will atleast give me the correct qualifications to able to actually properly apply and meet the entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.L)
    First rejection today. Not surprised in the least. Knew from the moment I got the email.

It's not the end of the world if I do end up getting five rejections. I've applied for an access course later this year anyway. This will atleast give me the correct qualifications to able to actually properly apply and meet the entry requirements.
    The uni does not realise what a little gem of a student they are missing out on, but at least you are looking at the experience positively.

ReputationRep:
    I am 27 and I walked out of sixth form with a crappy selection of grades nin years ago, having not made an effort as I was going to study nursing which at that moment in time you only needed GCSEs for. I flunked within a year, then worked in a dead end job going nowhere, living in multiple dumps of houses, till eventually I started going to night school. Somehow, against all odds-including crappy landlords, 2 girlfriends who used and abused me in the not fun way, and a MAJOR WoW addiction, I applied took a chance and applied independently from night school to go to Uni. I also enrolled in different courses at other night schools as a backup. I had little hope if I'm honest. I received a conditional pending grades for a course I already had enough points for, 2 conditional pending interviews, and an unconditional.
    That was last year. Its a totally different playing field now but please please please see my story as one not of gloating, but as one of hope. Sure, this is probably the most cutthroat year of university applications in a long time, and you may indeed get 5 rejections, but trust me. There is always hope.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lil2wkd)
    I am 27 and I walked out of sixth form with a crappy selection of grades nin years ago, having not made an effort as I was going to study nursing which at that moment in time you only needed GCSEs for. I flunked within a year, then worked in a dead end job going nowhere, living in multiple dumps of houses, till eventually I started going to night school. Somehow, against all odds-including crappy landlords, 2 girlfriends who used and abused me in the not fun way, and a MAJOR WoW addiction, I applied took a chance and applied independently from night school to go to Uni. I also enrolled in different courses at other night schools as a backup. I had little hope if I'm honest. I received a conditional pending grades for a course I already had enough points for, 2 conditional pending interviews, and an unconditional.
    That was last year. Its a totally different playing field now but please please please see my story as one not of gloating, but as one of hope. Sure, this is probably the most cutthroat year of university applications in a long time, and you may indeed get 5 rejections, but trust me. There is always hope.
    That's a great story - what are you doing at uni now then?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.