Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are some gay guys camp? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super.teve)
    I'm gay and they annoy me to hell.

I hate the whole: "hey my name is Dave, I'M GAY".

WHY DO THEY NEED TO FORCE THEIR SEXUALITY DOWN EVERYONE ELSE'S THROATS.
    Silly idiots.
    :eep: Wut? So i a not the only gay in the village?

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/wp-c...b__300x456.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Camp people, whether gay, straight or otherwise, annoy the living hell out of me.

The entire stereotype that all gay people are camp or that all camp people must be gay is equally annoying, and pretty damaging.

I don't understand why it seems more gay people are camp than straight people are, and I doubt anybody ever will understand.

I quite dislike Marmite in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you back up this with scientific evidence?
    Because anyone who studied this would get thrown in prison thanks to crybabies like you. It's just an idea, I obviously haven't "studied" it.

This is trash,
    Why? If homosexuality has a genetic component (or conditions in utero), and of course so do animals' broad character and temperament, including humans, then I don't see why the two can't be linked.

- I'm gay, I do not act like a woman and neither does my boyfriend.
    Well I'm glad, but you realise that doesn't say anything about my theory there. Not all gayness need stem from the same cause, or even the same biological cause, and just because you don't act camp doesn't mean someone else's campness isn't inherent to them.

It's like if we wonder why many Scottish folk have red hair. Genetics? "OMFG BUT I'M SCOTTISH AND DON'T HAVE RED HAIR LOL UR THEORY IS WRONG LOLOLOL"

By the way, I have to say, from your pictures you do look pretty darn effeminate, chap. I wonder if there is a lot of denial about being camp among gays who actually are pretty camp according to most people. It's all relative, I suppose - if one is a proper fairy oneself then that seems normal and so only super-fabulous types seem "camp".

Honestly, I hate how they're seen as the norm of gays.
    I didn't actually say that, but yea as it happens every gay dude I've met I could tell was gay before he mentioned it. I've only known one gay who was properly straight-acting, they're a minority for sure.

(Original post by Joe Weavurrr)
    I'm gay.
    So is my boyfriend.
    Naturally.

I've been gay for 2 years.
    Congratulations

Not once have I been asked if I am. Why?
    Because it's not very polite?

I don't speak like a women/dress like a drag queen.
    That would help, yes.

Being gay doesn't define me.
    I'm not sure what this means, but ok.

He's been gay for 5 years (he's 23... he didn't turn at like 12 lol) and people refuse to believe him when he tells them he's gay.
    Was he straight until he was 18, or just nothing/confused?

Clearly you're stuck in the past/narrow minded.
    Your opinion.... she is void.
    Oh right, any explanation?

ReputationRep:
    No idea.
    But camp gay guys really annoy me, don't see why they have to be like that to prove/show their point to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Forget camp. What is up with bears and cubs? Do bears throw the camp ones in canals like in Holland?

ReputationRep:
    Some gay guy are camp
    Some straight guys are came

Some gay guys are masculine
    Some straight guys are masculine

Shocker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    Naturally.

Congratulations

Because it's not very polite?

That would help, yes.

I'm not sure what this means, but ok.

Was he straight until he was 18, or just nothing/confused?

Oh right, any explanation?

Yes. Us both being gay does help the situation. My bad for not wording my post very well.

Thanks!

As if people are polite? If they want to know something they'll ask. You can ask someone if they're gay and still be polite about it though mind you.

... Didn't understand that one.

It means I'm not someone who feels the need to act overly gay and tell people I am. I am just a person who happens to prefer men to women.

I assume so. Yea, he's slept with a girl. I was "straight" up until I realised girls aren't for me. I even had a couple girlfriends. Some people know they're gay from the start. Some people find out along the way. Hell people come out when they've got a wife and kids. I don't know how it works.

You think all gay guys are camp. That's enough for me to not care about your opinion. So it's void to me.

ReputationRep:
    i'm sure there are some gay guys who are camp on purpose as a kind of tribal thing but mostly i'm sure they are just being themselves and actually, apart from annoying the most homophobic (whether you realise it or not) among you, they are not doing any harm to anyone. i'm sure there is a connection between camp and gay but it's definitely not hard and fast. i have known camp straight men and gay men you wouldn't guess at. i've come across some camp kids in my time too.

tolerating gay people who act straight and conform to your standards doesn't mean you are not homophobic. just like tolerating black people who conform to your standards doesn't mean you are not a racist. accept them all or be honest with yourself and everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    I assume so. Yea, he's slept with a girl. I was "straight" up until I realised girls aren't for me. I even had a couple girlfriends. Some people know they're gay from the start. Some people find out along the way. Hell people come out when they've got a wife and kids. I don't know how it works.
    Yea, the gay couple I live with - one is 40 and he's been married to a woman before. Weird stuff.

You think all gay guys are camp.
    Oh right, I didn't realise. Thanks for telling me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosypie)
    i'm sure there are some gay guys who are camp on purpose as a kind of tribal thing but mostly i'm sure they are just being themselves and actually, apart from annoying the most homophobic (whether you realise it or not) among you, they are not doing any harm to anyone. i'm sure there is a connection between camp and gay but it's definitely not hard and fast. i have known camp straight men and gay men you wouldn't guess at. i've come across some camp kids in my time too.

tolerating gay people who act straight and conform to your standards doesn't mean you are not homophobic. just like tolerating black people who conform to your standards doesn't mean you are not a racist. accept them all or be honest with yourself and everyone else.
    So what is homophobia and racism in your eyes? And what does it mean to "accept" people, I mean literally what does one do or not do when they "accept" people?

ReputationRep:
    There is a weak correlation between homosexuality and stereotypical "camp" behaviour in males. There are two possible reasons for this;

1) socio-cultural expectations. Whether consciously or unconsciously, some gay men feel that they are expected to act in a stereotypical "gay" manner, and when you feel expected to act in a certain way, its often very difficult to fight against that.

2) there is evidence that suggests a link between homosexuality and low testosterone levels reaching certain areas of the brain during the gestation period. It is not unreasonable to assume that if one area of the brain receives low levels of testosterone, then other areas may do also; if this includes areas of the brain that defines the extent to which the eventual adult has more "masculine" or "feminine" personality traits, then the outcome may be a male with more "feminine" characteristics - ie he will be "camp".

(Original post by Enchanté)
    No idea.
    But camp gay guys really annoy me, don't see why they have to be like that to prove/show their point to be honest.
    but we don't always do it to prove a point. I talk really camp but nobody knows i'm gay so how am I proving a point?

A lot of the time it is just how gay people are :confused:

(anon or delete please)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.