Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should the government provide EVERYONE with a winter survival kit? Watch

You forgot about something

ReputationRep:
      If this was implemented the UK would turn into an uber nanny state.

ReputationRep:
      hi,
      i would like advice/suggestions/help on something..i have a friend who basically lives in a shed and has no hot water coz there aren't any pipework stuff set in..so basically it's very difficult to keep warm there..any advice? and they don't have a lot of money so can't spend too much on electricity so can't use a heater.....literally, you can see your breath all the time coz it's that cold..very worried about them ):
      i've suggested drinking hot drinks, wearing layers, exercising a bit, clingfilm around the windows..from ikea, he bought a pack of 100 tea lights and lights about 33 of them to keep the room a lil warm, but really, it doesn't really do anything..hot water bottles i've suggested too..anything else?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CountMancula)
      This would be paid by the taxpayer (only an extra pound) and only eligible to only those who work.
      For an extra amount of money, you can apply for your own grit bin outside the house.
      :troll:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stewww)
      he bought a pack of 100 tea lights and lights about 33 of them to keep the room a lil warm
      :lolwut:
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      You know what, I was going to argue with you but I am not going to do it now. The costs and the inequality issues prove that this idea will never ever work......

You also make me laugh.

ReputationRep:
      It would also come with a shovel and 250kg of grit for those with a driveway.
      wut?

If I applied 250kg of grit to my driveway I'd need a ****ing jeep to get out.

ReputationRep:
      Easily pleased then.
      Yes and....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by street.lovin')
      You know what, I was going to argue with you but I am not going to do it now. The costs and the inequality issues prove that this idea will never ever work......

You also make me laugh.
      Your username suggests that you like the streets. Surely the gravel will be of use?
      Nah fairplay if you don't want discuss.

(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
      wut?

If I applied 250kg of grit to my driveway I'd need a ****ing jeep to get out.
      Its not meant to be used all at once!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
      On second thoughts, I've decided your survival kit does not go far enough. It should also include instructions on how to build an igloo, 100kg of fire to melt snow and ice with, your own personal Chris Ryan, and a large group of penguins trained to huddle around you for warmth.
      Your first post was funny, but this one not so much. They always say sequels are never as good.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      Your username suggests that you like the streets. Surely the gravel will be of use?
      Nah fairplay if you don't want discuss.
      It is a song's name. I like that song so I used it as my username.

Can you give a reason why the scroungers or people who do not work e.g. disabled people, homeless people should not get your survival kits?

ReputationRep:
      Your first post was funny, but this one not so much. They always say sequels are never as good.

Yeah I know, I was a bit bored and not taking you entirely (read "at all") seriously. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      With the recent hit of bad weather, is it about time that the people of Britain receive a winter pack for the next few months? This would be paid by the taxpayer (only an extra pound) and only eligible to only those who work. The winter pack would contain the following in a large rucksack (colours can be picked):

- Thermal gloves
      - Facemask
      - Long johns/leotard
      - Woolly hat
      - Scarf
      - Torch
      - Blowtorch
      - Ice scraper
      - Flask
      - Rain Mac
      - Thermal coat
      - Thermal vest
      - Thermal socks
      - Boots
      - Goggles

It would also come with a shovel and 250kg of grit for those with a driveway. For an extra amount of money, you can apply for your own grit bin outside the house.

Discuss.
      I'm not really sure this is conceivable. It would cost much more than £1. Supposing you paid £1 per month , you'd be paying for about ten years to even afford the grit.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by F i s)
      I think the winter predictions are over-estimated.
      What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
      Nah there too busy giving away free coca-cola

no really....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11883262

ReputationRep:
      Lol, is this a joke. You have no idea what you're taking about. Go to bed, the snow might be gone when you wake up.

ReputationRep:
      It is a song's name. I like that song so I used it as my username.

Can you give a reason why the scroungers or people who do not work e.g. disabled people, homeless people should not get your survival kits?
      Scroungers have no right to have one, because well, they're scroungers. The disabled, homeless and elderly can have one with an optional donation scheme. For example you may not want the pack, but you offer to donate it to someone else.

(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
      Yeah I know, I was a bit bored and not taking you entirely (read "at all") seriously. :rolleyes:
      Fairplay and that.

(Original post by TheCount.)
      I'm not really sure this is conceivable. It would cost much more than £1. Supposing you paid £1 per month , you'd be paying for about ten years to even afford the grit.
      Its a contract. So you will pay for a number of months.

(Original post by LMAC)
      Lol, is this a joke. You have no idea what you're taking about. Go to bed, the snow might be gone when you wake up.
      You're hilarious, Macerz.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      Scroungers have no right to have one, because well, they're scroungers. The disabled, homeless and elderly can have one with an optional donation scheme. For example you may not want the pack, but you offer to donate it to someone else.
      Don't you think that would create the inequality in the society? How many people do you think would actually bother donating good stuffs they received for free to someone else? Would you donate it?

Why should someone who can afford it get it and someone who cannot afford it cannot get it?

If this winter pack turns out to be a necessity e.g. the weather get toooooooo cold. Don't you think this will increase the number of scroungers? People steal cos they do not have it.

ReputationRep:
      None of you are thinking nearly big enough.

ReputationRep:
      Don't you think that would create the inequality in the society? How many people do you think would actually bother donating good stuffs they received for free to someone else? Would you donate it?

Why should someone who can afford it get it and someone who cannot afford it cannot get it?

If this winter pack turns out to be a necessity e.g. the weather get toooooooo cold. Don't you think this will increase the number of scroungers? People steal cos they do not have it.

That remains to be seen. I'm not sure if I would donate, depends on the money situation...would you?

The reason I am limiting it to workers only is because its a) Optional i.e. not 100% needed and b) people get too much for free in this country

I doubt this pack will promote scrounging.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.