Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DAY X: Biggest Student Protests Ever - Be There!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    So explain why if its such a clear cut case could they not work out the cause of death in an autopsies
    "Ian Tomlinson post mortem finds 'internal bleeding'"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...-bleeding.html

The reason the criminal proceedings against the police officer were dropped was the pathologist who carried out the original postmortem and who's evidence was being used in the case, leaked information to the press. He was subsequently struck off the medical register and his evidence disregarded. Later postmortems proved inconclusive because of deterioration of the body.

It astounds me that you have the audacity to call me ignorant when you clearly know almost nothing about the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel.a)
    No, what it means is less people leaving school with level 3/4 qualifications which means a unskilled workforce.
    Ane we're in a recession, so companies are cutting back... jobs and apprenticeships. Yes, there are apprenticeships. However, there are not enough...
    people not getting A levels= unskilled work force?

People have the same oppurtunities to get A levels.
    As I said before, would you dub someone with 4 crap A-levels in 4 crap subjects a member of the collective of skilled workers?

You are receiving free education till 18/19, and you complain because £30 a week isn't added to the package?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    You are receiving free education till 18/19, and you complain because £30 a week isn't added to the package?
    What you don't seem to take into account is the fact that there are young, talented but disadvantaged people who were given an opportunity that they may not have had otherwise by receiving that £30 a week. Yes there are those who abuse it, using it to buy beer and whatever, but is it fair to punish those who use it for genuine purposes to get to those who take advantage? It's a waste of talent if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    1. A levels predecess degrees, and we need people with degrees end of.
    2. Yes there are crap A levels (Media, Environmental studies etc)
    3. Some students have the issue where their family cannot afford to sustain the through A levels when they could be working (debt?), and so need the person working to keep the family going.

And tell me. How many students do you think will NOT do AS/A2 because they won't recieve EMA??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erebos)
    What you don't seem to take into account is the fact that there are young, talented but disadvantaged people who were given an opportunity that they may not have had otherwise by receiving that £30 a week. Yes there are those who abuse it, using it to buy beer and whatever, but is it fair to punish those who use it for genuine purposes to get to those who take advantage? It's a waste of talent if you ask me.
    Why do they need it? If it's an incentive, they don't need it. If it's for the bus, colleges provide for the most needy students. There is walking, which is not hard, as there are a number of different sixth forms and colleges. If it's for textbooks, they are not needed- not for the courses- Bio, Chem, Maths, English Lit.- I have enrolled in (I don't know if you need a textbook to study Media).
    Ok, I'm against EMA, but not so much as I am against this idea that the fee cuts (uni fee rises) are unjust

ReputationRep:
    1. A levels predecess degrees, and we need people with degrees end of.
    2. Yes there are crap A levels (Media, Environmental studies etc)
    3. Some students have the issue where their family cannot afford to sustain the through A levels when they could be working (debt?), and so need the person working to keep the family going.

And tell me. How many students do you think will NOT do AS/A2 because they won't recieve EMA??
    I think the students who will not go to AS/A2 because they won't get EMA should not go. Those who want to make the most of their free education can go, those who don't now lack an incentive to go.

We have people with degrees. We always will.
    What we don't need is everyone with degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way.
    Year 11 are annoyed becasue they will lose EMA
    Year 12 are annoyed becasue they will lose EMA and have to pay extortionate university fees.
    Year 13 are annoyed because they will have to pay extorionate university fees.
    Universirty students are annoyed because they will have a massive increase in fees.

Say we could get ALL students in yeas 11 through to university to protest in home towns/cities/London that might show our government how annoyed we are...

That's wrong actually, as the fees are on a contract system (I believe) people in year 13 going to university next year and current university students will not be subject to a rise in fees.

Man I'm glad I've got offers :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Why do they need it? If it's an incentive, they don't need it. If it's for the bus, colleges provide for the most needy students. There is walking, which is not hard, as there are a number of different sixth forms and colleges. If it's for textbooks, they are not needed- not for the courses- Bio, Chem, Maths, English Lit.- I have enrolled in (I don't know if you need a textbook to study Media).
    Ok, I'm against EMA, but not so much as I am against this idea that the fee cuts (uni fee rises) are unjust
    Walkings real use when you live 10/20/30 miles from school, isnt it???
    And what about sixth forms?? They don't have as deeper pockets as colleges.... needy students there have to bite the bullet and live with it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    "Ian Tomlinson post mortem finds 'internal bleeding'"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...-bleeding.html

The reason the criminal proceedings against the police officer were dropped was the pathologist who carried out the original postmortem and who's evidence was being used in the case, leaked information to the press. He was subsequently struck off the medical register and his evidence disregarded. Later postmortems proved inconclusive because of deterioration of the body.

It astounds me that you have the audacity to call me ignorant when you clearly know almost nothing about the case.

For most healthy 46-year-old men being shoved to the ground would not have been enough to cause such internal damage.
    However, Mr Tomlinson was a heavy drinker and both pathologists commented that his liver and heart were both diseased and this is important as it is unusual to find such a degree of scarring on the internal organs of a relatively young man.

What is unclear is what caused this bleeding. This is what the further investigations and tests will seek to establish.

Thanks for proving my point. If this had gone to an investigation it would hardly be a murder trial. You would struggle to get a conviction for manslaughter.

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way.
    Year 11 are annoyed becasue they will lose EMA
    Year 12 are annoyed becasue they will lose EMA and have to pay extortionate university fees.
    Year 13 are annoyed because they will have to pay extorionate university fees.
    Universirty students are annoyed because they will have a massive increase in fees.

Say we could get ALL students in yeas 11 through to university to protest in home towns/cities/London that might show our government how annoyed we are...
    There will obviously be no increase in fees for current university students; why does everyone think this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    This protest will be a bit useless as it will happen AFTER the vote has taken place...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11892634
    They are really on the ball this lot, couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

ReputationRep:
    Walkings real use when you live 10/20/30 miles from school, isnt it???
    And what about sixth forms?? They don't have as deeper pockets as colleges.... needy students there have to bite the bullet and live with it
    ok this is not the 1870's

Peasants no longer exist.
    Poorer folk, as it is quite commonly stated, are inner city folk.
    Where in the inner city is 30 miles away from a sixth form or college...

ReputationRep:
    I think the students who will not go to AS/A2 because they won't get EMA should not go. Those who want to make the most of their free education can go, those who don't now lack an incentive to go.

We have people with degrees. We always will.
    What we don't need is everyone with degrees.
    Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    ok this is not the 1870's

Peasants no longer exist.
    Poorer folk, as it is quite commonly stated, are inner city folk.
    Where in the inner city is 30 miles away from a sixth form or college...
    uh..... *scratches head sarcastiaclly* rural ares????

ReputationRep:
    uh..... *scratches head sarcastiaclly* rural ares????
    are wealthier than inner city areas

ReputationRep:
    are wealthier than inner city areas
    1. students in rural areas have to travel waaaaay further to school.
    2. no, rural areas are not richer than urban areas

ReputationRep:
    1. students in rural areas have to travel waaaaay further to school.
    2. no, rural areas are not richer than urban areas
    they are not poorer than urbanised areas, anyhow

So we have narrowed EMA claiments down to students living in rural areas, who have no sixth form or college in their village, and whose parents, who could afford to send them to highschool, have recently lost their jobs, rendering them inable to give students the 10 pound a month for a bus pass

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    thanks for proving my point. If this had gone to an investigation it would hardly be a murder trial. You would struggle to get a conviction for manslaughter.
    I am honestly baffled as to how somebody with your IQ managed to master the complexities of the keyboard.

- So he's smashed in the abdomen with a baton, MINUTES later he dies of internal bleeding localised, where else but, THE ABDOMEN. The whole thing is caught in clear as day video footage and you're seriously suggesting that because he has previously consumed alcohol, the violent impact between a baton and his midriff is merely coincidental.

You are literally the most preposterous little cretin I've ever come across on TSR, and that's saying something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    For most healthy 46-year-old men being shoved to the ground would not have been enough to cause such internal damage.
    Dr Nathaniel Cary:

"Cary is often described as the UK's top pathologist, and is known for his work on high-profile cases, including the 2002 Soham murders, the 2007 assassination of Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto, and the 2008 conviction of serial killer Steve Wright."

Cary found that Tomlinson had died because of internal bleeding from blunt force trauma to the abdomen, in association with cirrhosis of the liver. He concluded that Tomlinson had fallen on his elbow, which he said "impacted in the area of his liver causing an internal bleed which led to his death a few minutes later."

Source: Wikipedia

Please do some research before littering TSR with your ironic ramblings about others' alleged ignorance. You're embarrassing yourself and annoying others by hijacking threads with personal arguments.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.