Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bino756)
    I just got an offer for medicine there. It's an amazing uni in my opinion. well at least the medicine part is. (I know nothing about any other part)
    Wow, that's an excellent degree to receive an offer for - well done! Good luck if you decide to accept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    Excellent advice, thank you very much.
    No worries. that is just what worked for me. I would also recommend that in your revision just write out the main one word points you need to know. All the stuff from lessons will come flooding back when you think of it so don't worry about all the arguments (obviously make sure you have read through themn and have an understanding of them). Just memorise all the points and that should take you far. i think i ended up with one double sided page of notes for each unit, so 4 for each exam with just 1 word quotes.

ReputationRep:
    An A*? Wow, hats off to you; that's impressive!
    Thanks (: Easy paper I think though, tbh, especially seeing as I fell asleep in my Listening and Reading papers... D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by finestory)
    Thanks (: Easy paper I think though, tbh, especially seeing as I fell asleep in my Listening and Reading papers... D:
    :') French speaking was the worst, though. I was so nervous when I took that!

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that because of calculus and it's relevance, or the decision side of Mathematics?
    It trains your logic and critical thinking. Basically, if you get good at maths, you get better at making sound decisions. It's helped me with everything. Probably couldn't have gotten my last girlfriend without Maths, totally serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bino756)
    No worries. that is just what worked for me. I would also recommend that in your revision just write out the main one word points you need to know. All the stuff from lessons will come flooding back when you think of it so don't worry about all the arguments (obviously make sure you have read through themn and have an understanding of them). Just memorise all the points and that should take you far.
    Are you someone who ever plans their essays? I mean, I've never planned an essay before. I have to do it for English Literature soon, and presumably Politics too...

I got good grades without planning in things like GCSE English Literature (A*) but I'm worried that if I'm not inclined to doing so in A-Level, it might cost me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShnnyShiz)
    It trains your logic and critical thinking. Basically, if you get good at maths, you get better at making sound decisions. It's helped me with everything. Probably couldn't have gotten my last girlfriend without Maths, totally serious.
    Ah I thought as much. Did you do Further Maths, or? I'm currently doing Pure Mathematics & Statistics, and the training in logic is just excellent.

and :'), that's how it's applicable to real life, then!

ReputationRep:
    :') French speaking was the worst, though. I was so nervous when I took that!
    Ahh my speaking wasn't too bad, ended up exchanging *****y jokes en francais about Wales with my French teacher, very strange times. (: GCSE French was way easier than I thought it'd be to be honest. Which is why AS level is making me want to die.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent choices.. go with them..

ReputationRep:
    Ahh my speaking wasn't too bad, ended up exchanging *****y jokes en francais about Wales with my French teacher, very strange times. (: GCSE French was way easier than I thought it'd be to be honest. Which is why AS level is making me want to die.
    :') I bet that was a good exam, though.

and I suppose it must be rather hard, especially with the expectations regarding your GCSE grade...

You must be capable of getting an amazing grade at AS, though Are you planning on dropping it before going into A2, then?

ReputationRep:
    You must be capable of getting an amazing grade at AS, though Are you planning on dropping it before going into A2, then?
    Nope, carrying it on and manning up, thinking of doing it as part of my degree, English & French at Durham or Bristol or something like that, fingers crossed. (: Dropping either Geography or Psychology. Probably the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Are you someone who ever plans their essays? I mean, I've never planned an essay before. I have to do it for English Literature soon, and presumably Politics too...

I got good grades without planning in things like GCSE English Literature (A*) but I'm worried that if I'm not inclined to doing so in A-Level, it might cost me.
    Never planned an essay in my life. As I write the essay, I come up with ideas an write them beside the Q and then later if i think of something else i will write that too and join up the way I think they should be connected in the essay so I sort of plan my ideas rather than the essay and I do it sort of simultaneously if that makes sense. Essays were never my strongest point. (A*s in every subject but English Lang at GCSE) but I found planning made it too rigid and controlled and I can't work like that.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, carrying it on and manning up, thinking of doing it as part of my degree, English & French at Durham or Bristol or something like that, fingers crossed. (: Dropping either Geography or Psychology. Probably the latter.
    Sounds brilliant. Personally, I'd also drop Psychology; Geography's much stronger.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds brilliant. Personally, I'd also drop Psychology; Geography's much stronger.
    I'm only dropping Psychology because Human Geography will be handier for Journalism and Broadcasting (journalists and newsreaders tend to know a little more about issues concerning health and population than they do about the difference between semantic and procedural memory :L). But if I was planning on doing anything else I wouldn't drop Psychology; my Geography teachers are so crap that people who got 10A*'s at GCSE are struggling to scrape D's and E's in the run up to our January modules. Plus the fact that Psychology's really interesting. And easy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.