Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who else is glad that england dont get to host the world cup 2018 and 2022 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    You said the English media being arrogant did not mean the English people were arrogant. I pointed out there would be a connection between figures in the media being arrogant and the people being arrogant. Although in which direction the arrogance flows is up for debate (are the pundits arrogant because that's what the people want to hear? Probably not, their arrogance probably filters down.

Well, that's a pretty daft point because Sky news is broadcast all over the world (I watched it in Greece this summer). The news articles in question were directed at an English audience, what with their massive population overshadowing the other home nations.

Of course. Although if too many people disagree with a reporter there's a good chance they'll be punted. Unless they're a talk show host, in which case they'll get a promotion....

The media is very generous to English football on the whole and tends to overexpose it. Although the national team gets a kicking when it disappoints.

Of course its reasonable to assume that you have a good chance of winning, but to a)throw the toys out the pram when Jack Warner shafts you and other bids get preferred [alright, the first part might be justified] and b)believe that hosting a World Cup is a divine right because you haven't hosted one in a while, love football and have a decent setup is a bit arrogant. Portugal made a good job of the Euros and haven't hosted a World Cup, neither have Holland or Belgium to my knowledge.
    You are really overestimating the power of the media. For a more accurate representation of English people, why not actually listen to the people who were interviewed after finding out we didn't win. No hint of arrogance there, just dissapointnent.

You're implying that because the English people haven't voiced their dislike about the so called 'arrogance' of the pundits means that we somehow agree with them. Well surely that logic means that every country that has access to Sky, the BBC or whatever other British media organisation you're accusing of showing arrogance somehow agree with everything that they say.

How is English football overexposed? English people are generally quite passionate about football and so like to see news about it. Don't think that means it's 'overexposed.'

Who has said that we believe we have a divine right? I bet if you asked Portuguese people, or Dutch people they're dissapointed too right now. There's nothing arrogant in believing that you deserve something and it certainly doesn't mean that we think we have a divine right to do so. I've been dissapointed before when i haven't been chosen to do something, not because i believe i have a 'divine right' to anything but because there have been times when i have put a lot of effort into something only for it to come to nothing. Sorry but you do seem to be making your argument out of nothing as you seem to be implying that just because we thought that we could win something and are now dissapointed that we didn't, we somehow all, collectively as a nation, are arrogant and believe that we have some kind of divine right to win.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite saddening to think a football being played on a field by men on a piece of land that you don't live in can attract a 'debate'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    And you wonder why the english look down on scotland. It's so petty you as a nation have to celebrate every english failure. Attitudes like this is exactly why I just wish England would leave the UK. It's hardly United is it?
    err... I wasn't condoning the thuggish dislike of English people. I have no reason to dislike England or celebrate her failures hence the '' :facepalm: ''

English people need to stop licking non-existent wounds and jumping on the assumption that all Scottish people hate them - I LIVE in Scotland and I have never witnessed any explicit racist anti-Englishness - minus the handing out of free beverages today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipulledhermione)
    why? :cry2:

:getmecoat:
    You have too many friends and you won't be mine, hence the -1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamesh)
    You have too many friends and you won't be mine, hence the -1.
    Maybe if you ADDED me i'd be your friend!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you ADDED me i'd be your friend!
    I'd like to be envious from a distance, sis.

ReputationRep:
    err... I wasn't condoning the thuggish dislike of English people. I have no reason to dislike England or celebrate her failures hence the '' :facepalm: ''

English people need to stop licking non-existent wounds and jumping on the assumption that all Scottish people hate them - I LIVE in Scotland and I have never witnessed any explicit racist anti-Englishness - minus the handing out of free beverages today.
    Obviously I know it's not all scottish people otherwise you would be there yourself. The fact is that every world cup you have a number of scottish or welsh being all 'anti-english' supporting whoever England play or whatever. I think it's sad and the free bar celebrating english failure is just another example. The OP is another example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamesh)
    I'd like to be envious from a distance, sis.
    awww see now i regret negging you. I'm sorry :console: Brother

ReputationRep:
    Its a disgrace tbh.

Whoever gets the world cup should be decided on only which bid is the best.

Englands bid was BY FAR the best and shouldve won it.No question.If they couldnt wint it they surely shouldnt have got knocked out in the first round.

Russia is a racist,hate filled country.

England should feel robbed.

ReputationRep:
    awww see now i regret negging you. I'm sorry :console: Brother
    no it's fine i was only a mere 27 plus then pushed back all the way to 22 plus.

no problemo.

ReputationRep:
    The old head of the FA who claimed Spain were going to bribe to win the World Cup and that Russia were going to bribe to win the right to host the 2018 World Cup was right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SumTingWong)
    I am. I tend to not support england in these sort of campaigns (regardless of how much of that "we're all part of britain so we should support them" BS), but the reaction to the result has convinced me that i was right to not support them in the first place.
    I loved it, I said Russia was gonna win it. England got what was coming to them. They were celebrating even though they didn't even get it. Get the hell out of here, that's what people were thinking at FIFA. Good job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forsaker)
    it's hilarious!! wonder when news of the world will step in..
    On Sunday, when it's published?

ReputationRep:
    I'm hugely disappointed as I would have loved to see the game I love, being played at a very high (if not it's highest; perhaps the Champions League is of a higher quality) level in my own country.

But, one has to show a sense of perspective. We have far bigger crises to handle currently and there shall be other opportunities for major sporting events. We do have, let's not forget, the Olympics. It's a let down but let's put things into perspective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    Obviously I know it's not all scottish people otherwise you would be there yourself. The fact is that every world cup you have a number of scottish or welsh being all 'anti-english' supporting whoever England play or whatever. I think it's sad and the free bar celebrating english failure is just another example. The OP is another example.
    You're right; it's wrong and it sorely disrespects the years of history the two countries share when a bunch of ignorant racists turn the rivalry sour. It's not just political it's a social/cultural feeling which is unfounded and harboured by those lacking in any sense and craving the need to feel something. Having said that, banter relating to the English is an everyday thing here in Scotland and you can never take it away and nor should you. Ever large country has a neighbour with whom friction is born through rivalry, history, religion, politics. Look at Pakistan/India - people die in those place. Look at America and Canada, American sitcoms have so much anti-Canadian banter, Australia and New Zealand - I once met a Zealander who took so much offence when I mistook him for Australian and began a big political ***** about them. It's natural and it's UNAVOIDABLE.

Yes their are ***** in our country, but there are ***** in your and there are ***** in Milwaukee and ***** in Derry and ***** in Moscow.

Sorry for the rant. This whole thread is rather pointless, we will not know who can live better without the other unless Scotland become fully devolved so until then people shouldn't throw around accusations and just try and get a long.

ReputationRep:
    I'll pos you later, by which time my neg power will be humungus and you will have lots of neg numbers. Promise

ReputationRep:
    why? :cry2:

:getmecoat:
    'Cos there's a free bar at your local...?

You're doing the Scottish stereotype of alcoholism no good

ReputationRep:
    You're right; it's wrong and it sorely disrespects the years of history the two countries share when a bunch of ignorant racists turn the rivalry sour. It's not just political it's a social/cultural feeling which is unfounded and harboured by those lacking in any sense and craving the need to feel something. Having said that, banter relating to the English is an everyday thing here in Scotland and you can never take it away and nor should you. Ever large country has a neighbour with whom friction is born through rivalry, history, religion, politics. Look at Pakistan/India - people die in those place. Look at America and Canada, American sitcoms have so much anti-Canadian banter, Australia and New Zealand - I once met a Zealander who took so much offence when I mistook him for Australian and began a big political ***** about them. It's natural and it's UNAVOIDABLE.

Yes their are ***** in our country, but there are ***** in your and there are ***** in Milwaukee and ***** in Derry and ***** in Moscow.

Sorry for the rant. This whole thread is rather pointless, we will not know who can live better without the other unless Scotland become fully devolved so until then people shouldn't throw around accusations and just try and get a long.
    :console: Calm down, sister.

ReputationRep:
    I'm rather pleased that we're not. We're already hosting the Olympics, I think our money is better spent elsewhere than the World Cup. Yeah it's not really 'our' money but right now I think we've got more important things to worry about >.<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    'Cos there's a free bar at your local...?

You're doing the Scottish stereotype of alcoholism no good
    I'm doing it plenty good BY LETTING IT BE KNOWN THAT I AM NOT PART TAKING IN THE DRUNKEN ACT OF HATE AND MERRIMENT. :yep:
    no English hatin' going on here. :hand:

Hopefully they all read that

ps. Don't scare me like that. My happiness is dependant on ensuring I'm on the right side of you :innocent: I've heard you are... bad ass.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.