Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which Final Fantasy is the Best and Why - Poll Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which Final Fantasy is the best?
    Final Fantasy I
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy II
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy III
    0%
    Final Fantasy IV
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy V
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy VI
    5.00%
    Final Fantasy VII
    37.00%
    Final Fantasy VIII
    16.00%
    Final Fantasy IX
    11.00%
    Final Fantasy X & X-2
    20.00%
    Final Fantasy XI
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy XII
    2.00%
    Final Fantasy XIII
    1.00%
    Final Fantasy XIV
    0%
    Can't decide, they are all amazing!
    3.00%

ReputationRep:
    not sure about x-2 but when I played FFX MY MIND WAS BEING SODOMISED OVER AND OVER AGAIN. IT WAS FRIKKIN AMAZING!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    not sure about x-2 but when I played FFX MY MIND WAS BEING SODOMISED OVER AND OVER AGAIN. IT WAS FRIKKIN AMAZING!
    You my friend, know exactly what its all about. FFX was a mindbomb of awesome gameplay, graphics, character design, score and a monumentally wide and detailed story. Loved FFX! Followed by FFVII and FFIX closely tied, but with VII slightly inching it because it was my first FF game

ReputationRep:
    I've only played X and XII.
    X just about edges it, it blew me away. XII was very enjoyable and I actually thought the battle system was good, but the story cannot compare with X.

ReputationRep:
    Out of the one's I've played...

First: VII was the only one I got and sat on for 25 hours straight trying to complete.
    Second: X was the one I have completed the most (and first by myself), X2 let it down
    Third: IX was the first game I ever played but I've only ever completed it with my cousin
    Fourth: XII battle system was only second to that of XII, graphics and plot = amazing
    Fifth: VIII still confused by the whole system
    Last: Whichever was the first PS3 one... got odin for lighting and haven't played on it for 6 months...

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wabbajack123)
    Out of the one's I've played...

First: VII was the only one I got and sat on for 25 hours straight trying to complete.
    Second: X was the one I have completed the most (and first by myself), X2 let it down
    Third: IX was the first game I ever played but I've only ever completed it with my cousin
    Fourth: XII battle system was only second to that of XII, graphics and plot = amazing
    Fifth: VIII still confused by the whole system
    Last: Whichever was the first PS3 one... got odin for lighting and haven't played on it for 6 months...

VII: Agree with you, very addictive
    X: Agree again. My favourite next to FFVII and will always be remembered. Then X-2 severely let it down. However I did like the expansion to map and the alternate endings and +New Game mode.
    IX: Legend game. Utterly brilliant and quite different to the others I thought.
    XII: Disagree, I hated the battle system, it was repetitive (very simple) and could go through the game just watching the AI do everything. The characters, graphics and plot were good though.
    VIII: I know, it was spammy. However very cool.
    XIII: I loved XIII the graphics were astonishing and I thought the story quite original. However, it does take a lengthy amount of time to pick up.

ReputationRep:
    I can never decide between VII, IX and X.

VII was the first I played, absolutely fantastic game. A few years ago I'd've said it was the best. But In recent years I've played X and IX A LOT.

X's story just seems to suck you right in. You especially feel for Yuna after the Bevelle, when she realises her life is basically a lie. And IX, damn. Just a straight up homage to the older FF's. I especially love Terra. Beautiful place and music.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breed)
    I can never decide between VII, IX and X.
    My thoughts exactly, I had a hard time choosing between these top 3.

X had an immense story and character development.
    IX had an insane story and battle system with some inspired Characters e.g. Vivi and aeons Anima
    VII is just legendary in general lol

ReputationRep:
    Why did you put FFX and FFX-2 together? They are different games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    Why did you put FFX and FFX-2 together? They are different games.
    I think OP knows they are different games (thus the fact that he listed them individually) but X-2 is a continuation of X anyway so they pretty much have a similar music, characters, battle system, graphics and environment.

Also, I do not think anyone will vote for X-2 as a stand alone game as the best FF for it stands in the shadow of FFX without FFX it is nothing.

ReputationRep:
    FFX is my fave as it itroduced me to the series

But I like the original characters from Kingdom hearts the most...Roxas and Sora are pretty win in my book (But goofy and Donald went and ruined his coolness a bit)

ReputationRep:
    Final Fantasy VII for me. The very first Final Fantasy I played, and I still remember being about 6 years old watching my brother on it. I inherited it after he got bored of it and I fell in love with it.

Final Fantasy X was also enjoyable, however I couldn't stand Tidus or Yuna. Tidus because he was too whiny and annoying, and Yuna because she was always presented as oh-so-perfect and so unrealistic I ended up getting fed up of her.
    Although the battle showing why Auron can pierce tough enemies was funny, where Tidus basically got owned

ReputationRep:
    FF7 hands down. The first FF that I ever played at the age of seven, and its really the most nostalgic for me. Seriously, I get a warm, fuzzy 'aw, those were the days' kinda feeling xD I also love the storyline; it had such an epic feeling to it yet I never lost touch with characters emotions etc. (I mean, I'm not exactly Aerith's biggest fan, but I cried when she died. 'nuff said)

My second favourite (besides FF: CC, which I won't count) is FF6, again because I really liked the characters (Sabin was just too kickass ) and it was pretty damn funny at times.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reelo)
    FF7 hands down. The first FF that I ever played at the age of seven, and its really the most nostalgic for me. Seriously, I get a warm, fuzzy 'aw, those were the days' kinda feeling xD I also love the storyline; it had such an epic feeling to it yet I never lost touch with characters emotions etc. (I mean, I'm not exactly Aerith's biggest fan, but I cried when she died. 'nuff said)

My second favourite (besides FF: CC, which I won't count) is FF6, again because I really liked the characters (Sabin was just too kickass ) and it was pretty damn funny at times.
    I did love FF6, that brings back memories, the terrible graphics, the bad engine :moon: But still a great game :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Agreed! The graphics really were terrible, but to be honest I wouldn't have it any other way It's all part of the FF6 experience...I think the OST is brilliant though, particularly the battle and boss themes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyRodent)
    Yeahh.

I forget to mention, beautiful music as well:

ReputationRep:
    x and x-2, I am a recovering addict of the final fantasy series, I have been clean for just over 2 years now, lol!

But in all seriousness it got to a point for 2 years where I had no social life or interactions whatsoever I would just play ff games again and again and again for about 8 hours a day (on school days). X and X-2 were always my favourite because they had the best music, graphics, story, I liked the characters and x-2 had the most fun battle system of any ff game there is.

And playing x-2 properly, as in trying to get 100% is about 50 times more fun and more rewarding than just doing the main quests. Havent played 13, and dont really have any interest in it. Hardcore gaming is a long way behind me, I just got bored of it and grew out of it I guess, I play fallout and a few other games every now and then and thats about it.

ReputationRep:
    Final Fantasy 2 on gameboy is where its at.

ReputationRep:
    VII. But I haven't played any before that one.

ReputationRep:
    VII, then VIII, then IX, then X.

Althought Blitzball alone makes it a close contender for 2nd place. FFVII was comfortably the best though. I'm so tempted to buy a PS3 just to play them, if you can?

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably rank the top 5 in this order, having played all the games in the series (excluding Final Fantasy XIV),

1. Final Fantasy VI - There is very little to dislike about Final Fantasy VI. It wasn't the best at everything, but it was just consistently good in all areas.
    2. Final Fantasy IX - Artwork and music were at there best here. Character development was strong, but the story was lacking something in particular. Like Final Fantasy VII before it, gameplay was simplified but Final Fantasy IX can be forgiven as it wasn't done in a condescending manner
    3. Final Fantasy VII - Best story we have seen from a Final Fantasy title. Character development was strong for some characters but lacking in others, gameplay wasn't particular stellar with very simplified mechanics used to appeal to the masses.
    4. Final Fantasy VIII - This game is flawed in many areas, but it is the game I have replayed the most. the game almost begs me to give it another chance, so I do...until I eventually somehow grew to love moody Squall and stroppy Rinoa.
    5. Final Fantasy X - A great game, with a good story and gameplay mechanics; however the game was lacking the same depth as the previous titles and suffers a little from linearity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.